Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 02:46 PM

306 posts, read 431,474 times

Advertisements

So I got two offers and now I have a problem thinking about how to handle it in regards to which to choose. Job A gave me the paperwork and will officially hire me to come in for training tomorrow. Job B called me today with an offer. I'll break it down to show why this isn't an easy decision for me.

Job A
-Sells ice cream
-Pays me a decent hourly rate and gives me the opportunity to make a good amount of money in tips
-Will probably not do so well in the winter
-Hired me first

Job B
-Sells cupcakes
-Pays decently
-Has a great staff
-Part time position
-Will sell well all year-around

Now this is a problem for me because I'm a passionate baker. I was the perfect fit for job B so I was absolutely sure I'd get the offer unless they chose to hire somebody who had an internal referral. I know I'd love working there, but at the same time, Job A gave me a chance first and I would make more money there. Both require the same amount of work. I'm going back to school soon, but I think there's some way I can schedule things so I can accept both offers. Any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 02:50 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
What is the rate of pay and hours you would work per week for both options?

Old 08-21-2012, 02:54 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,871 times
schedule things so you can work at both places, if not, take the baking which is your passion. you have to do what is best for you, employers do what is best for them, the ice cream place will find someone else, it's no big deal to them if you say no.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
What is the rate of pay and hours you would work per week for both options?
Both are $8 an hour but Job A let's me earn tips. Job A an give me as many hours as I want but Job B is part time. It looks like the ball is in my court as far as scheduling is, because I can choose days that let me work at both places.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
schedule things so you can work at both places, if not, take the baking which is your passion. you have to do what is best for you, employers do what is best for them, the ice cream place will find someone else, it's no big deal to them if you say no.
Yes, I think this is what I will do. It's not so much that I would feel bad not working at the ice cream place, but its that the offer is a great opportunity. I know somebody who started their a couple months ago and is already assistant manager. It's a small company but they're expanding quick. Baking is my passion, but right now I'm feeling as if I would regret turning down either one of those jobs. Because Job B is part time I'm sure I can take both jobs, but I'm also wondering how that's going to look on a resume. I think that's the only way I'm going to come out of this being happy, so I'm pretty sure that's how I'm going to do this. It would also be good because if for whatever reason one turned out to be a bad experience, I could just Lear that one and request more hours t the other one.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:34 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Something to consider: You are a "passionate baker". Does this mean that you simply love to bake, or have you considered profiting from it. Seriously, you need to ask yourself if doing it for a living would kill your love for baking. (My husband is a computer geek who used to love dabbling with computers but doing it for a living has killed his love for it.) Still, if baking is something you'd like to keep doing then this is your foot in the door.

The downside to option A is that you could get incredibly bored during the winter months.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Something to consider: You are a "passionate baker". Does this mean that you simply love to bake, or have you considered profiting from it. Seriously, you need to ask yourself if doing it for a living would kill your love for baking. (My husband is a computer geek who used to love dabbling with computers but doing it for a living has killed his love for it.) Still, if baking is something you'd like to keep doing then this is your foot in the door.

The downside to option A is that you could get incredibly bored during the winter months.
Yes, and I would likely have my hours cut around that time. I'm going to wish I had that job. I was actually going to start a small business selling some of the stuff I bake. I am going to accept both. After all, who am I to deny any of these establishments of my presence?

Old 08-22-2012, 09:20 AM

Looks like I jumped to conclusions on this one. Job B's manager left a message for me to call her and I assumed it was an offer. Turns out somebody else was chosen but she wanted me to know that she could forward my app to this other store or keep it on file there in case a spot opens up, because she "really liked me". Then she started apologizing for not hiring me, strange. Either some deadbeat got an internal referral or HR screwed me over again. Either way, I have accepted Job A, so I am no longer unemployed. If an offer for Job B does come back up soon, I will take that one on too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search