Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 04:50 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,457,055 times

Advertisements

Don't get fixated on the person who does the mock interviews. Just ask yourself if you may have a problem and how well you did at past interviews.
1) For various reasons the real interviewers will never tell you honestly why you failed their interview.
2) Your may learn a few things that you aren't aware about yourself, after watching the video recording.
3) That said, it is possible that future interviews will focus on different things than the mock interview. If you go for it, don't view this exercise as final word on anything.
4) Sometimes the problem is not with the interview, but with skills employers are looking for, professional experience, other candidates or even your physical appearance (something you can't change). It can also be weak references.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 08:02 PM

39 posts, read 389,986 times
Here is the arguments for the mock interview:

It is only $50

You won't act the same in a mock interview with a friend or relative because you are comfortable with them

The friend or relative doing the mock interview likely does not know the hiring and interview process and what a good interview is all about.

Many people can read a book about how to interview but without an expert giviing them help they will make the same mistakes over and over without knowing it.

People in TV, actors, politicans and business executives get professional coaching from experts on how to communicate, why not job applicants?

Old 07-17-2012, 08:04 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,730,298 times
I went to our local state employment office. They did a mock interview with me for free. I wouldn't pay someone at all. Sounds like that person needs to interview for a new line of work herself.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:04 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,576 times
A lot of colleges offer those for free. If you're currently in college, I'd check out your school's career center first.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,127 times
A lil late....

As an independent recruiter myself, I'd say don't pay for the mock interview.... because chances are you won't do the mock interview the same way you do a real one. The pressure is different, so a mock interview for the stated purpose is a waste of money. imo.

(Dave)

Old 07-17-2012, 11:17 PM

65 posts, read 151,129 times
Do you have a family friend or someone you aren't 100% comfortable with that can help you do a mock interview for free? If not, maybe you can video tape yourself and watch to see what mistakes you might be making. You could even post it somewhere, like Youtube (or C-D) and ask for feedback. Nothing will be the same as an actual interview, but practicing will make you more confident and secure when it comes time for the real thing. I would also search around and see if there are places that could do it for free. A mock interview isn't something I would pay for.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:12 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,132,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFindsTalent View Post
A lil late....

As an independent recruiter myself, I'd say don't pay for the mock interview.... because chances are you won't do the mock interview the same way you do a real one. The pressure is different, so a mock interview for the stated purpose is a waste of money. imo.

(Dave)
Mock interviewers also tend to ask from a specific list of questions listed in a book. The problem with that is that in an interview, the interviewer sometimes will delve deeply into your answers and the questions will revolve around the work you did. Usually this happens if the work you did is similar to the work that you will be doing in the job. For example, if you mention in the interview that you have constructed a financial model and you are interviewing for a job that requires a lot of financial modeling, the interviewer will ask a lot of specific questions about the financial modeling you did and will also delve deeper into how you got to a solution and etc. Most mock interviewers can't duplicate this since most mock interviewers don't know the intricacy of the specific job and will usually just give you superficial feedback that a book can give you. This isn't to say that the OP shouldn't do a mock interview because they can be useful but the OP should be aware that there are some nuances that mock interviewers can't replicate especially if the mock interviewer doesn't work in the industry or have experience in the job that the OP is trying to break into.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:35 AM

I am still thinking about spending the $50 for the MOCK INTERVIEW but the arguments against doing it from posters actually has encouraged me to do it. The arguments against it seem naive.

Wouldn't you like to get HONEST no hold barred feedback from from the actual places you interview at? But that is not going to happen. T

he recruiter who does the MOCK INTERVIEWS has interviewed over 1000 people and really understands the hiring process and can give me good feedback. He has also recruited and interviewed many people in my career field.

It is a great opportunity for only $50.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:59 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life time student View Post
I am still thinking about spending the $50 for the MOCK INTERVIEW but the arguments against doing it from posters actually has encouraged me to do it. The arguments against it seem naive.

Wouldn't you like to get HONEST no hold barred feedback from from the actual places you interview at? But that is not going to happen. T

he recruiter who does the MOCK INTERVIEWS has interviewed over 1000 people and really understands the hiring process and can give me good feedback. He has also recruited and interviewed many people in my career field.

It is a great opportunity for only $50.
If you knew all this up front why did you ask people if you should do it?

And are you getting a discount? How is it $50 and not $70?

Old 07-18-2012, 12:26 PM

No it is not a done deal yet. Many of my friends think it is just a really dumb idea and are begging me to not waste my money on it. They insist I can learn everything there is to know by reading books on the subject and practicing interviewing with a professional recruiter/interviewer would be a total waste of time. He will do it for $50 but the regular price is $35 an hour with a two hour minimum. But he will do it for $50 because I told him I was unemployed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
If you knew all this up front why did you ask people if you should do it?

And are you getting a discount? How is it $50 and not $70?

Last edited by life time student; 07-18-2012 at 12:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search