Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 02:28 PM

57 posts, read 252,619 times

Advertisements

Does a response to a thank you mean anything?

I interviewed at a job a few weeks ago, next a thank you note to the hiring manager, received a response saying it was really great meeting me and they were going to bring a couple of candidates back for round 2 in a couple of weeks.

I got called back for round 2 and went yesterday - met with 6 people, including COO. Last person was the hiring manager again. Sent the thank you notes today, received another response from the hiring manager saying "Thank you. We hope to get back to you very soon." No one else responded, but I didn't expect them to.

I know many people have said you can never tell, and have been dinged when they received a response, but I thought her reply back was pretty positive.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 02:51 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,132,333 times
It means one of the following:

A. They really like you.
B. The person is very polite and responds to all thank you notes.
C. The person is really mean and is just messing with you.
D. Other

Old 07-17-2012, 03:28 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akinva View Post
Does a response to a thank you mean anything?

I interviewed at a job a few weeks ago, next a thank you note to the hiring manager, received a response saying it was really great meeting me and they were going to bring a couple of candidates back for round 2 in a couple of weeks.

I got called back for round 2 and went yesterday - met with 6 people, including COO. Last person was the hiring manager again. Sent the thank you notes today, received another response from the hiring manager saying "Thank you. We hope to get back to you very soon." No one else responded, but I didn't expect them to.

I know many people have said you can never tell, and have been dinged when they received a response, but I thought her reply back was pretty positive.

Thoughts?
I might be way off here, but I think that the part I bolded means that the manager hopes to have a chance to talk to you again soon.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:44 AM

Well, I still haven't heard anything. I know it's only Friday, but shouldn't I have gotten some news by now?

Old 07-20-2012, 10:51 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,738,680 times
It doesn't really mean much, at least in this economy.

manderly6 has it right.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:54 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I might be way off here, but I think that the part I bolded means that the manager hopes to have a chance to talk to you again soon.

I don't read it that way at all. To me it simply says that they hope to make a decision soon and will let the candidates know what they decide.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:02 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I don't read it that way at all. To me it simply says that they hope to make a decision soon and will let the candidates know what they decide.
That was my point...the OP is reading into it way too much

Old 07-23-2012, 09:49 AM

Found out this morning that my contacts were called on Friday. Good news?

Old 07-23-2012, 10:02 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,738,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akinva View Post
Found out this morning that my contacts were called on Friday. Good news?
Now that's good news.

Theoretically, employers only call your references if you're one of the people they're going to ultimately offer a job to.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Now that's good news.

Theoretically, employers only call your references if you're one of the people they're going to ultimately offer a job to.
Is it strange that I haven't heard anything from them yet? I'm probably being impatient, since it's only 1pm on a Monday, but I'd really like to get some good news already! They said it was only between myself and one other person, so I don't think the reference check is a way of screening multiple applicants...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search