Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 01:14 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
So start your own business!! Sorry j/k that seems to be the stock answer to every question in W&E forum these days.

And I can't even respond to that stupid advice like I want to because I would probably get banned. I do know I'm tired of seeing that stupid advice on this board like it's some sort of "magical solution" for any unemployed person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 01:43 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
And I can't even respond to that stupid advice like I want to because I would probably get banned. I do know I'm tired of seeing that stupid advice on this board like it's some sort of "magical solution" for any unemployed person.
Can you elaborate more on why you think it's stupid advice?

Old 07-22-2012, 04:07 AM

644 posts, read 1,144,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Can you elaborate more on why you think it's stupid advice?
1. Most small businesses fail within the first year...therefore you still need something to fall back on.
2. How many unemployed people you know have a lot of money laying around to invest in their business? I would like to open up my own business and the startup costs aren't that huge, BUT I would be fooling myself into thinking there's not some sort of start up investment to get it started.
3. Not every person is destined to become a manager or an owner. Not everybody was made for it.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:05 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
1. Most small businesses fail within the first year...therefore you still need something to fall back on.
2. How many unemployed people you know have a lot of money laying around to invest in their business? I would like to open up my own business and the startup costs aren't that huge, BUT I would be fooling myself into thinking there's not some sort of start up investment to get it started.
3. Not every person is destined to become a manager or an owner. Not everybody was made for it.
A few more:

4) Many people, while skilled, do not have any skills that would translate into a small business. People aren't going to start a surgery facility in their basement or an aerospace company. The days when that type of stuff was possible haven't existed for many decades.

5) Many of the businesses people could start on their own will never generate enough income to pay their bills even if the business is successful. A person is not going to be able to pay their bills washing cars or walking dogs.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:08 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,483,559 times
Social media is becoming more prevalent daily. A lot of progressive companies want people who are savvy with social media. They want people who have a lot of connections since that can lead to free advertising. Not just advertising their goods, but advertising their company as a good place to work for. Granted, many companies will not tell you to post about them positively, but they will tell you that any negative attention your posts, blogs, tweets could bring corrective action up to and including termination.

Another thing to think about is peer pressure. You are guaranteed in any modern business to have coworkers that belong to some sort of social media outlet. You need to able to relate to your peers.

I know many people will disagree and that is fine, but this is the direction modern business is heading.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:03 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
Don't waste your time on this employer or recruiter. Facebook is a petty website and a joke. No serious employer would take the information on Facebook seriously. People make up fake **** on Facebook and try to be some superstar, they're a dime a dozen.
I agree with this. As it became known that some employers were doing some research and looking at social media I am sure some people would take down anything that could be viewed negatively, And transform thier image to the opposite. But thats not the whole story even. it's easy to advertise how awesome one is and then not be able to back it up. There is a specific class of people that do this for work: Politicians. Ex,

"I am going to work for the people and bring change. Vote for me!"

Translation-"I am lining my pockets with illegal funds and sneaking hookers into the office."

Like that!

Old 07-22-2012, 10:19 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
(6) And the real cause of massive small business failure: Very few are both smart enough to run a business, while capable of providing a good product or service.
(7) Few are prepared to live even more modestly for several years than they could when employed.

As for (6) Many think they can, and are soon proven wrong. As for (7), they haven't the fortitude to try.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
A few more:

4) Many people, while skilled, do not have any skills that would translate into a small business. People aren't going to start a surgery facility in their basement or an aerospace company. The days when that type of stuff was possible haven't existed for many decades.

5) Many of the businesses people could start on their own will never generate enough income to pay their bills even if the business is successful. A person is not going to be able to pay their bills washing cars or walking dogs.
Exactly. You can't quit your job or quit looking for a job to start a business. It's best to do both until your business kicks off.

Right now I'm trying to start my online bakery business it's taking awihle to kick off, but I'm still looking for a job because right now that's not going to help me get a car and pay off my student loans.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:43 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
Exactly. You can't quit your job or quit looking for a job to start a business. It's best to do both until your business kicks off.

Right now I'm trying to start my online bakery business it's taking awihle to kick off, but I'm still looking for a job because right now that's not going to help me get a car and pay off my student loans.
If someone ever gave me that advice face to face they would be picking their teeth up off the ground LOL

Old 07-22-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
If someone ever gave me that advice face to face they would be picking their teeth up off the ground LOL
Another popular one I hear all the time is, "Just join the military!" Yeah...no...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search