U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-21-2012, 10:01 PM
 
206 posts, read 453,262 times
Reputation: 61

Advertisements

I was offered via phone last week and then sent a formal offer letter the next day. I would like to make a counter, but the note only gives me 2 business days to respond.

A) Is 2 days to accept an offer standard practice? We'd have to move for the job, so my family and I are a little stressed about the lack of time to discuss all relevant issues.
B) Is countering via phone an acceptable practice? I don't like the idea of countering via e-mail or letter.
C) As part of the counter could you request add'l time to make the decision or does that hurt your negotiating position?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2012, 10:56 PM
 
Location: NJ
18,668 posts, read 18,624,379 times
Reputation: 7290
Quote:
Originally Posted by calien View Post
A) Is 2 days to accept an offer standard practice? We'd have to move for the job, so my family and I are a little stressed about the lack of time to discuss all relevant issues.
Were they not informed you sought this position? If so, were they ok with it, against it, or neutral?

I understand perhaps wanting a bit more time, but not for this issue, as this one should be put to rest when first submitting a resume for consideration.

Anyone can counter, but no one can guarantee their rebuttal.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2012, 11:19 PM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 43,298,042 times
Reputation: 16210
a. Does it really matter at this point if it is "standard practice"? This is how they choose to handle it. And what are the relevant issues you need to discuss other than salary? As bobtn pointed out, most of this probably should have been hashed out before now.

b. I would think countering by phone would be perfectly acceptable.

c. Asking for more time and countering a salary are two completely different things.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2012, 08:22 AM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
36,363 posts, read 66,152,660 times
Reputation: 42141
If they only allowed two days, it probably means they have other well qualified candidates and are anxious to fill the position as soon as possible. They may not be open to a counter offer in those circumstances. We recently had such a situation,
as it turned out the person was waiting for an offer from another employer to compare and rather than grant extra time we went with the #2 candidate, who turned out to be a great choice. If you want the job I'd suggest calling right away, and
be prepared to make a decision quickly if the counter is refused. You really should think about the relocation issues well before you are even interviewed, and decide the salary you are willing to accept in order to make that move.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2012, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
1,413 posts, read 4,203,970 times
Reputation: 1427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
If they only allowed two days, it probably means they have other well qualified candidates and are anxious to fill the position as soon as possible. They may not be open to a counter offer in those circumstances. We recently had such a situation,
as it turned out the person was waiting for an offer from another employer to compare and rather than grant extra time we went with the #2 candidate, who turned out to be a great choice. If you want the job I'd suggest calling right away, and
be prepared to make a decision quickly if the counter is refused. You really should think about the relocation issues well before you are even interviewed, and decide the salary you are willing to accept in order to make that move.

Well said, it really does not feel OP thought things through.

Is the salary they offered acceptable? Are they offering relocation assistance?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2012, 09:17 AM
 
7,237 posts, read 11,870,484 times
Reputation: 5607
IMO, you should already have an idea of what wage/salary you will and will not accept before they offer you the job.

This way, you can counter their offer (if you want) in a timely fashion without having to think about it more.

That said, I also wouldn't waste my time trying to counter any offer if there's little to no chance of them budging from their offered wage/salary.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2012, 02:39 PM
 
225 posts, read 666,112 times
Reputation: 128
In calien's defense, there are a lot of factors outside of salary alone that come with an offer. And many questions a potential employee may have that they might not voice before point of offer since asking about benefits etc. during interviews is generally frowned upon.
For example, medical insurance (what kind, when does it start, copays, etc), telecommuting, days off, 401k, maternity/paternity leave policies to name a few issues one would consider.
If the offer were amazing, obviously someone would take it, but generally an offer is going to have some pros and some cons and it's hard to decide ahead of time without all the cards on the table at which point, needing more than 2 days to make a major life decision seems fair.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2012, 06:10 AM
 
9,856 posts, read 14,368,281 times
Reputation: 5461
Quote:
Originally Posted by calien View Post
I was offered via phone last week and then sent a formal offer letter the next day. I would like to make a counter, but the note only gives me 2 business days to respond.

A) Is 2 days to accept an offer standard practice? We'd have to move for the job, so my family and I are a little stressed about the lack of time to discuss all relevant issues.
B) Is countering via phone an acceptable practice? I don't like the idea of countering via e-mail or letter.
C) As part of the counter could you request add'l time to make the decision or does that hurt your negotiating position?
As soon as you counter, from a legal perspective you reject their offer and present your own offer. If you counter offer, they have no obligation to give you their original offer if they don't like your counter. Essentially, if you request additional time to make the decision, they have every right at that point to rescind their original offer and give the job to someone else.

That is not to say that is what will happen, but that is the legal perspective.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2012, 07:40 AM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 43,298,042 times
Reputation: 16210
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
As soon as you counter, from a legal perspective you reject their offer and present your own offer. If you counter offer, they have no obligation to give you their original offer if they don't like your counter. Essentially, if you request additional time to make the decision, they have every right at that point to rescind their original offer and give the job to someone else.

That is not to say that is what will happen, but that is the legal perspective.
And from a legal perspective can they not rescind the offer for any reason they want at any time? Even after it has been offerred and accepted?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2012, 07:55 AM
 
9,856 posts, read 14,368,281 times
Reputation: 5461
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
And from a legal perspective can they not rescind the offer for any reason they want at any time? Even after it has been offerred and accepted?
That gets fuzzy only if they do not specify a time period in which you need to make the decision. In the absence of a written time period, they should give you a "reasonable amount of time" to consider the offer (I forget offhand, and don't have the time to dig into my notes, I am pretty sure it is two weeks in cases like this), after they have given it in written form. What constitutes a "reasonable amount of time" would be up to a judge to decide.

Since they said, in writing, that the OP has two days to decide though, they can give the offer to someone else after two days. If they gave it to someone else and rescind the offer after only one day, then the OP would have a case.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:03 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top