Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2012, 10:51 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times

Advertisements

Hoping someone can give me insight into this industry. Will be talking to a staffing company about a sales and marketing job. This company does some PEO but mostly supplies labor to light industrial companies. Most of my sales background has been in selling to light industrial companies, but mostly business supplies.

Just looking for opinions good or bad before I switch industries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 12:50 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
I work for a staffing company as a recruiter and HR Compliance person. I love it.

Did you have specific questions?

Old 07-25-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I work for a staffing company as a recruiter and HR Compliance person. I love it.

Did you have specific questions?
I've worked in other industries that are really competitive, so a little competition does not bother me. How competitive is the industry? If I make a sales call on the HR person at a warehouse, how many staffing companies have already been there that month?

Also want to know what the general outlook for the industry is. Will temp staffing and PEO's grow, stay flat or decline in the next 5 years?

Old 07-25-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I've worked in other industries that are really competitive, so a little competition does not bother me. How competitive is the industry? If I make a sales call on the HR person at a warehouse, how many staffing companies have already been there that month?

Also want to know what the general outlook for the industry is. Will temp staffing and PEO's grow, stay flat or decline in the next 5 years?
It sort of depends on the industry. I am in healthcare and it is really competitive. So we have to be able to sell the company and the benefits, as well as listen to the client. They will tell you what they did not like about the other companies that have talked to them. If you can fix it,they are interested.

I also think temp staffing is going to stay popular as there are a number of industries that are in demand. I also like it in a lot of ways as with temp stafing, they know and WANT to be talking to the recruiter, so that initial resistance is not an issue.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:20 PM

850 posts, read 1,546,454 times
Good luck. It's a start when you can't find anything else, but there aren't any guarantee's either. If you are getting a job via them, remember it's always TEMP (contract, whatever). Do what you have to do to stay working, but still be on the look out for a permanent job.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:23 PM

The job would be working for the staffing agency as a sales rep and representing them to light industrial companies. Already know how to network and sell to industrial firms, just did not know anything about the staffing industry.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:23 PM

I say go for it. I am a permanent employee of a staffing company. I love it.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:54 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I worked with a staffing company for 7 years and I loved it. I started in recruiting and them moved into sales and then into the sales manager position. Eventually I began traveling across the country training new owners and sales people. What fun!

I loved getting out and about in town and getting to know the business community. Yes, it's very competitive, but KEEP GOING BACK OVER AND OVER AGAIN. My rule of thumb was NEVER make a "howdy" call. ALWAYS have something of value to give them - either something about their industry, news (public knowledge) about a competitor, HR compliance issues, etc. That way they know they are not wasting their time meeting with you, even if it's only five minutes.

The most important aspect of all that is educating yourself about THEIR industry. Ask them for a company tour - I never met anyone who wasn't eager to talk about their business and show off their facility.

I worked for Express Employment Professionals and they are a top notch company- but there are lots of other good staffing companies out there as well. Loved it loved it loved it and even though I moved, I am still friends with the staff and the owner of that particular location - and others. It's very hard work but very rewarding to be able to fill TWO needs - the employer and the employee. You really feel like you are making a positive difference in your community - at least that's how it made me feel.

If you aren't already active with your local chamber and economic development council - GET ACTIVE. A ton of my business came from those sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search