Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 06:13 PM

69 posts, read 101,140 times

Advertisements

Even if you got a response from HR it will not help you as all HR people view it differently, you would get 10 different answers from 10 different interviews, there is no single rule to follow.

One day you come to hiring manager that makes sense and he will hire you, it's a waiting game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 06:18 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanab View Post
Even if you got a response from HR it will not help you as all HR people view it differently, you would get 10 different answers from 10 different interviews, there is no single rule to follow.

One day you come to hiring manager that makes sense and he will hire you, it's a waiting game.
Exactly, and that goes back to the "Tell You About Yourself" question that was being discussed in the other thread.

You just can't win with an open-ended question like that, because you're going to get 10 different reactions from 10 different interviewers.

If, by chance, your answer just so happen to hit the right buttons of the right interviewer, it's like you've pretty much hit the lottery.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:34 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Interviewing many times is subjective. We all know some people get hired based solely on looks or who they know.

Say it ain't so Mystique. And here I was thinking that they wanted whomever was most qualified

Old 07-27-2012, 06:42 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Say it ain't so Mystique. And here I was thinking that they wanted whomever was most qualified
Yeah, I've heard that one a lot, too... After seeing the number of incompetent relatives of managers finding work easily and the number of attractive bimbos who always have a job, I'm somehow beginning to suspect this isn't the case!

Old 07-27-2012, 11:36 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,394 times
It generally means you need to improve your interviewing skills. For more advanced jobs it can sometimes take more interview attempts because you're competing with a wide range of people with varying degrees of experience and education, but for entry level jobs you're describing (food, retail, etc) interviewing seems to be a lot simpler.

When I wanted a low level job, I interviewed at Target, Toys R Us and Macy's and was offered all three positions. Most of those types of jobs are just looking for a perky, competent person and that's what you have to sell them on. I'd recommend practicing interviewing with as many people as you can. You could also read a book on how to better interview. That has helped me a lot. Also, September thru November tends to be an easier time to get hired because of the need for seasonal help.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:55 AM

417 posts, read 825,067 times
if you get interviews it's most likely because your canidacy has a certain "attractiveness" in meeting the basic requirements of the job.

if you get interviews but not hired, it's either because
1) surplus of equally qualified and able bodied workers applying
2) workers in that surplus (as qualified or not) giving equal or better interviews.
3) some specific aspect that for whatever reason doesn't gel with the hiring types as well as "insert person".

For lower pay-scale jobs with lots of potential wrokers (fast-food, retail, TSR, mover), I'd say that's what it comes down to. The thing is you might not being doing anything wrong or even have very much that could be improved upon. Admittedly, with the number you've sited I think the quickest fix would be to try and beef up your interview skills. To be honest, I don't know what an interview for fast food or retail entails. I worked the latter at one point long ago, but I didn't have to interview. Be good if someone knowledgeable on those industries coudl offer insight...

Old 07-28-2012, 05:32 AM

101 posts, read 353,583 times
If you are brought in for an interview that means you have a good chance of being hired because most candidates who are chosen for an interview have basically the same skills on paper. The interview is to determine if you FIT within the organization. 50% of the time no matter how good your interview skills are you will not have a chance because they don't like your: age, appearance, personality, style, image, posture, style of speaking, etc.

Interviewing is like dating. No matter how hard you try, you can't force people to like you. Some will, some won't.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:39 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
50% of the time no matter how good your interview skills are you will not have a chance because
they don't like your: age, appearance, personality, style, image, posture, style of speaking, etc.

...No matter how hard you try, you can't force people to like you. Some will, some won't.

Stuart Smalley's famous quote - YouTube

Old 08-06-2012, 03:04 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
It generally means you need to improve your interviewing skills. For more advanced jobs it can sometimes take more interview attempts because you're competing with a wide range of people with varying degrees of experience and education, but for entry level jobs you're describing (food, retail, etc) interviewing seems to be a lot simpler.

When I wanted a low level job, I interviewed at Target, Toys R Us and Macy's and was offered all three positions. Most of those types of jobs are just looking for a perky, competent person and that's what you have to sell them on. I'd recommend practicing interviewing with as many people as you can. You could also read a book on how to better interview. That has helped me a lot. Also, September thru November tends to be an easier time to get hired because of the need for seasonal help.
Well i'm back again, i was forced to make a new account, but anyway, as you say that September through November, it tends to be an easier time to get hired because for seasonal help, do you think employers are more likely to settle on a candidate around that time of the year? as in lower their standards when hiring people, do not expect as much qualifications? because I don't have much work experience, very few work experience and I was able to get hired at Target last Fall, eventhough it was only a seasonal job which means it was temporary, i was released, let go, or laid off near the end of December, before I got hired at Target last Fall for that seasonal temporary job, whenever I applied for a job, not only would I not get hired, I would not even get an interview in the first place, and i've been applying for these type of jobs, entry-level service jobs, minimum-wage jobs in retail, fast-food, customer-service jobs, but since January of this year, i've had 11 job interviews but no luck getting hired.

So seasonal, temporary jobs during the holidays are not as picky about qualifications as getting a job during the normal time of year?

Old 08-06-2012, 05:58 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
So seasonal, temporary jobs during the holidays are not as picky about qualifications as getting a job during the normal time of year?
The quals (getting an interview) was NEVER the issue.
The interpersonal stuff is what gets you hired or not (the closing).

With a lighter load on THEM... the person you met may have been more willing to engage with you.

Remember what Alec said?

The Art of selling by Alec Baldwin - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search