Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 11:55 PM

14 posts, read 44,389 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if employer would disqualify you for lying about your education. Also, if you had a temp/contract position in your past employment history, would it be recorded on your record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 12:04 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,410 times
You lie about your education, you are done.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:27 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
^^^ exactly. Many employers will check your education. If you lied, and they find out during the background check, say good-bye to the job.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:35 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,165,963 times
If they are doing a background check they are likely checking everything. My last background check took 2 days to complete.

If education is a minimum qualification you better bet they are checking that. They will likely check it either way, but will definitely check it if it is a minimum qualifiaction.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:03 AM

203 posts, read 517,250 times
I sincerely hope the immediately disqualify anyone for lying about their education! My father has a boss who lied about his "education" on his application and is a complete imbecile! So my dad, who knows more than his "boss" gets to make less money and also do all the bosses work because he is an incompetent liar.

To OP, I am not meaning to chastise you per se, I have just seen what happens when people lie about their education so it's a bit of a soft spot for me.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:43 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,314 times
yes they're going to check your education, no they're not going to pull up every random job you ever had that you didn't tell them about unless you're applying to some top security clearance gov job

Old 07-31-2012, 02:27 PM

Default education !

If the job I am applying for doesn't require a Bachelor degree as a minimul and I still list it on my resume does it still disqualify me. I am only have an Associate Degree. Also, what if the job I listed on my resume isn't accurately dated on my background check, lets just say that I have extended the date. Well most of the job I work for is on temp/contract, not real employee.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:49 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznkoolguy View Post
If the job I am applying for doesn't require a Bachelor degree as a minimul and I still list it on my resume does it still disqualify me. I am only have an Associate Degree. Also, what if the job I listed on my resume isn't accurately dated on my background check, lets just say that I have extended the date. Well most of the job I work for is on temp/contract, not real employee.
Not sure if I understand what you wrote, but the background check might disqualify you from keeping the job if you falsified your work dates which are somewhat easy to verify.

If you lie about your education and they find out, you can get let go really easily. I know it has happened many times, but how often or not, hard to say.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:30 PM

Default college!

But what if you are only 3 credit left from graduating and still wrote that you have a degree on your resume. What does the employer see when that do a background check? Do they see the type of classes you have taken in college or do they see the duration of your term?

Old 07-31-2012, 04:34 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznkoolguy View Post
But what if you are only 3 credit left from graduating and still wrote that you have a degree on your resume. What does the employer see when that do a background check? Do they see the type of classes you have taken in college or do they see the duration of your term?
Background check is mostly to see if you have a criminal history. No, but if the prospective employer can ask for your transcripts (less likely) or even more likely the scenario: they can contact the school to find out if you hold the degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search