Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2013, 10:24 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,222,638 times

Advertisements

JOB SEEKERS, I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!!!! - YouTube

JOB SEEKERS, I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!!!! Part II - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 10:56 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,556,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Well unfonartley OP what you are expereincing when even the minimum wage jobs are not guarnteed - is life, it is just the way things are right now, to think of our dreams when we first started to college to then go to praying/hoping the minimum wage job will hire... what happened how did we get here? Anyway enough digressing.

What I would recomend is persistence, lets say you called up/applied online to Sports Authority and they had no openings, I would call back a week later, or 2 weeks later and keep applying/calling every week or so. Nearly every place you apply online but I would still call up anyway and go in person and inquire. If you are still without job have you consdiered volunteering? Of course job is much better to have but if it comes to the point where you are jobless for a quite a bit, volunteering certinally won't hurt. And don't forget just because you are volunteering does not mean you stop looking for work. If it has been some time, look where you can volunteer for a few hours 1 or 2x a week so at least it something to add to the resume.
He probably found something by now.

IMO I think problem is how the recruitment process is done. Most companies hire students for their entry level positions during their senior year. After June, all the entry jobs are taken and only senior positions open. The 50% that graduate without a job must wait until the cycle repeats. That’s why stats say seniors who graduate without a job have to wait 7 months till they get their first real job. That is just messed up. Recent grads only have one window of opportunity during the year to land a job.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:16 AM

72,976 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
He probably found something by now.

IMO I think problem is how the recruitment process is done. Most companies hire students for their entry level positions during their senior year. After June, all the entry jobs are taken and only senior positions open. The 50% that graduate without a job must wait until the cycle repeats. That’s why stats say seniors who graduate without a job have to wait 7 months till they get their first real job. That is just messed up. Recent grads only have one window of opportunity during the year to land a job.
I haven't found anything yet. I graduated on July 31, 2012.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
since you don't have a car, have you considered online work at home jobs? i have one that's part-time and you can save up enough in one month. I've been doing it for 2 years and man do I want a change of pace badly. It's a great job but it's not full time or have any benefits, basically IC work. I graduated college w/ a CIS degree in May and haven't gotten any offers either so I kind of know to what you're going through. I think we have some similar qualities/circumstance--introversion/quietness, moving back to a small town with parents, and older so that's a struggle on top of a struggle. Keep working on something.
I always thought that the "work from home" stuff was a scam. I don't know how it works and I don't know anyone who has done it.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Well unfonartley OP what you are expereincing when even the minimum wage jobs are not guarnteed - is life, it is just the way things are right now, to think of our dreams when we first started to college to then go to praying/hoping the minimum wage job will hire... what happened how did we get here? Anyway enough digressing.
It's a litany of things. Begging for minimum wage jobs has angered me alot for a few reasons. I was always told that if I got a college degree, I would get good work, and I wouldn't be stuck working some minimum wage job. It is having to explain to classmates I run into what happened.

Quote:
What I would recomend is persistence, lets say you called up/applied online to Sports Authority and they had no openings, I would call back a week later, or 2 weeks later and keep applying/calling every week or so. Nearly every place you apply online but I would still call up anyway and go in person and inquire. If you are still without job have you consdiered volunteering? Of course job is much better to have but if it comes to the point where you are jobless for a quite a bit, volunteering certinally won't hurt. And don't forget just because you are volunteering does not mean you stop looking for work. If it has been some time, look where you can volunteer for a few hours 1 or 2x a week so at least it something to add to the resume
All I can do is keep trying. There are times when I wake up in the morning and think "why am I even awake this morning? There's nothing out there for me".

I have thought about Peace Corps, but I don't know how that would work.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:32 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I always thought that the "work from home" stuff was a scam. I don't know how it works and I don't know anyone who has done it.
There are many legit work-from-home jobs now. Several Fortune 500 companies hire call center/support people that are 100% remote.

Google to find company names that do there. You will find info on forums and such. I remember Office Depot or Office Max was one of them. There are lists out there of legit companies.

You have to watch our for the scams but the scams are usually pretty obvious. You never give money or ssn up front.

Use keywords in jobs searches with 'telecommute' or 'remote'. That's another way to find them.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:42 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
I have thought about Peace Corps, but I don't know how that would work.
I strongly, strongly, STRONGLY recommend applying for the Peace Corps. Many Corps members serve in agricultural or land use capacities either working directly with a village or in a local NGO. The PC could give you an opportunity to develop your GIS skills (though of course not all posts are going to have access to electricity or internet - the posts vary a great deal).

To apply for the Peace Corps, you go to http://www.peacecorps.gov/ and fill out the application. It's lengthy, and there are many steps in between now and being accepted as a volunteer, but it's a possibility. Don't be too scared off due to the low acceptance rate (hovering around 20% I believe) - many people are disqualified medically or legally, or quit somewhere along the application process.

You just have to ask yourself - are you willing to really put yourself out there for 2 years?

I believe Peace Corps returnees get a bump in points toward applying for federal jobs - something that could be very useful to you. Many graduate schools offer scholarships to PC volunteers in addition to the educational benefits you receive from the PC proper.

Best of all, it would get you the heck out of Dallas.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I strongly, strongly, STRONGLY recommend applying for the Peace Corps. Many Corps members serve in agricultural or land use capacities either working directly with a village or in a local NGO. The PC could give you an opportunity to develop your GIS skills (though of course not all posts are going to have access to electricity or internet - the posts vary a great deal).

To apply for the Peace Corps, you go to http://www.peacecorps.gov/ and fill out the application. It's lengthy, and there are many steps in between now and being accepted as a volunteer, but it's a possibility. Don't be too scared off due to the low acceptance rate (hovering around 20% I believe) - many people are disqualified medically or legally, or quit somewhere along the application process.

You just have to ask yourself - are you willing to really put yourself out there for 2 years?

I believe Peace Corps returnees get a bump in points toward applying for federal jobs - something that could be very useful to you. Many graduate schools offer scholarships to PC volunteers in addition to the educational benefits you receive from the PC proper.

Best of all, it would get you the heck out of Dallas.
I think these are the things that concern me. Not all posts have electricity or internet. I was made aware of this by someone who had been in the Peace Corps. I also know it requires a strong commitment. 2 years, as you say. I could envision myself teaching abroad because at least I would get paid and I could choose where I want to be. The military, at least I would get paid. I could never get into the military because of my spine. Peace Corps, well, you don't get paid.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:09 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
I think these are the things that concern me. Not all posts have electricity or internet. I was made aware of this by someone who had been in the Peace Corps. I also know it requires a strong commitment. 2 years, as you say. I could envision myself teaching abroad because at least I would get paid and I could choose where I want to be. The military, at least I would get paid. I could never get into the military because of my spine. Peace Corps, well, you don't get paid.
http://www.peacecorps.gov/learn/whyvol/

You do get paid, and most of my friends come out with money saved. You get a stipend every month to cover living expenses - if you live like the locals, you can save up enough money to travel if you wish as well as have more left over when you come home. At the end of your service, you receive $7450 to "reintegrate" yourself, plus if you used the Perkins loan, you can get partial forgiveness for your loan. Most importantly, you get full health and dental benefits during those two years.

Which is worse - staying where you are now with a degree from a mediocre regional college, no money, no car, and no personal or professional movement or two years which push your limits but give you money, skills, and respect? Had you enrolled in the Peace Corps out of college, you would be 1/4 of the way through already.

Because you have GIS skills, you may qualify to work in an information and communication role which would guarantee you a position in a nonprofit helping build their technology capacity. Contact a recruiter to see if you qualify.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
What Are the Benefits? | Peace Corps

You do get paid, and most of my friends come out with money saved. You get a stipend every month to cover living expenses - if you live like the locals, you can save up enough money to travel if you wish as well as have more left over when you come home. At the end of your service, you receive $7450 to "reintegrate" yourself, plus if you used the Perkins loan, you can get partial forgiveness for your loan. Most importantly, you get full health and dental benefits during those two years.

Which is worse - staying where you are now with a degree from a mediocre regional college, no money, no car, and no personal or professional movement or two years which push your limits but give you money, skills, and respect? Had you enrolled in the Peace Corps out of college, you would be 1/4 of the way through already.

Because you have GIS skills, you may qualify to work in an information and communication role which would guarantee you a position in a nonprofit helping build their technology capacity. Contact a recruiter to see if you qualify.
I guess I'm just a bit scared. I wouldn't mind going overseas, but I usually associate the Peace Corps with having somewhat rough conditions. I know one woman who spoke to my senior seminar class, who was stationed in Uganda, who said she didn't always have access to internet, and she lived in pretty rustic conditions.

I have started the process in applying for the Peace Corps.

I have one thing to ask. Would I be able to fly home to see family members during my service?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search