Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 05:57 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,145 times

Advertisements

On Monday I was offered a job. I had questions about the culture and the benefits. I got verbal answers to those, but did not see the official benefits until yesterday morning. The health insurance cost and benefits were somewhat worse than I expected, but not a complete deal breaker. I also had this nagging concern about the culture and overtime expectations. But because of the 24 hour deadline, I agreed.

Then today I got a confirmation for a third job interview that fits much more with my career aspirations. So with the above variables in mind, I called up the company and told them I had to withdraw my acceptance. They sounded somewhat irritated but were generally gracious.

The part of me that wants to justify my actions is that they only gave me 24 hours to decide and I didn't see the official benefits data until yesterday.

The part of me that feels like an unethical scumbag is that I knew all along I wanted this other job more, but accepted anyway. Of course I don't even have the other job yet.

I shouldn't have accepted. I have messed up their hiring process, and I feel like I really screwed up by doing that. Plus I hate burning bridges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 06:41 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,393,736 times
I think you are being a little hard on yourself. However, I do think it was pretty rotten to accept and then take it back like that.

Also, I think it was a mistake to decline the actual job for the hope of the new job. An offer in the hand....

Old 08-02-2012, 06:53 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Let it go and move on with life. Most likely they are just going to call whoever was second on their list.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I think you are being a little hard on yourself. However, I do think it was pretty rotten to accept and then take it back like that.

Also, I think it was a mistake to decline the actual job for the hope of the new job. An offer in the hand....
It could be a mistake. However ... I am still employed. And I couldn't get over some nagging doubts with the other company.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:56 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
You are being way to hard on yourself. Go with your gut. You'll be happier, it will work out best for both you and the company. Just think if you took the job and hated it, you would be looking within a few months. You did the right thing!

Old 08-02-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
It could be a mistake. However ... I am still employed. And I couldn't get over some nagging doubts with the other company.
You left the still employed part out of the original.

And, I think, you did what your gut told you to do in the first place. Next time, just start there and you will feel great about the decision!

Old 08-02-2012, 08:05 PM

Lol ... maybe I was a little hard on myself. CD tends to be my sounding board when I have a lot of emotions

The recruiter who put me in contact with them actually called and apologized for not negotiating a longer period for me to decide and for not getting all the details (she was on vacation this week). I don't think she owes me any apology ... it's the other way around and I told her that.

She said the company called her and were "very angry" that she referred me to them when I was looking other places. Like I'm going to only apply at one place in my job search. That maybe indicates I made the correct choice.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:41 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
She said the company called her and were "very angry" that she referred me to them when I was looking other places. Like I'm going to only apply at one place in my job search. That maybe indicates I made the correct choice.
No one looking for a job is only going to apply to one posting. Sounds like they should have a very high turnover and you should be thankful you'll not be included in their numbers.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:42 PM

I think you did the right thing and made the right choice. I guess where I am going with it is if you had gone with your gut in the first place, there would have been no guilt just relief.

I know I once went against my gut and took a job I was not sure about. I was fired 6 weeks later when the company decided to fire all 5 managers and get a whole new team. They even told me at the time that they would not fight my unemployment and that I was being fired for absolutely no reason. The line on the termination paperwork next to reason LITERALLY said "none". Should have gone with my gut. I still have that piece of paper around somewhere. Use it to remind myself to go with my gut.

Luckily, this was about 10 years ago, so finding another job was not an issue...but it was a lesson learned about listening to myself and my gut.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:42 AM

753 posts, read 1,482,463 times
Sounds like you dodged a huge bullet. Good for your for going with your gut feelings as well as the info you had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search