Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 12:22 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
And yet the paper pushers in HR wonder why so many people hate them.

and without all those so called paper pushers, computer operators, and office support you wouldn't get paid. Only those that work with their hands and sweat deserve to get paid for their work??!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 12:53 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
and without all those so called paper pushers, computer operators, and office support you wouldn't get paid.
Payroll is becoming increasingly automated now, or outsourced to Payroll companies.

But nice try.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:09 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,826 times
All the points made in the OP seem like common sense. Is the HR recruiter in a professional setting? If so, that doesn't really say much for the quality of applicants they are getting. At any rate, people should take heed of the advice if they aren't already doing so. These are simple things to remember, folks.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:58 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Payroll is becoming increasingly automated now, or outsourced to Payroll companies..
who employ paper pushers.

Nice try.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:05 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
who employ paper pushers.
A fewer number of them for half the cost, assuming the jobs haven't been outsourced to Asia, Central or South America.

Your move.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:10 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
A fewer number of them for half the cost, assuming the jobs haven't been outsourced to Asia, Central or South America.

Your move.
ADP has a giant US headcount, and their clients still employ payroll paper pushers.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:26 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Why didn't it help you? Wouldn't the nursing home put her on the phone?

Your applicant reminds me of a relative whose most impressive job lasted from 1972 to 1980, and she will not take it off her resume. I've reminded her she often interviewed with folks not born by 1972, and it was going to get her put in the circular file, but the advice goes in one ear, out the other, so while she'd love an office job, as I type this, she is working at WalGreens.
I will say this-- I have become more and more amazed with some people both employed and unemployed who are looking for jobs (that I have run across). I find it rather unfortunate that obviously these are skills not taught many places effectively.

I have a close acquaintance who asked for my help to review her resume as she was seeking a new job-- a job where she had a decent inside connection. This is someone who has been working in the workforce for over 12 years? The first thing on her resume after her name was her education (aka Bachelors from 1999, honors, major etc). Degree has nothing to do with anything she has ever worked in. All of her "points" were written in paragraph form and 1st person and were not really meaningful other than to say the very basic of what her job description was. Even on her skills area she wrote in paragraph form, first person. The whole resume was a page. I wrote a pretty detailed analysis, sent her 3 resumes I had from classmates who had just gone through extensive remodeling from our MBA Career Advisors. I basically explained to her that education is no longer her front leading thing-- aka you have been cooked from your BA days for over a decade now. I suggested bullets and achievements. I tried to say in the nicest way possible that even though she had done the same job for the past 6 years at the very same level, she needed to show what she has accomplished in the job, not just an overall job description considering the next company is not going to get all excited about that. She needs to show what she brings to the table, etc. I suggested the skills, etc. For about the hour I put into it, I got a quick response that she was using first person to "sell" herself, and that she was always told to put her education first and keep to one page. Well, yes she was told this when she was a new graduate who had not big things to offer but 12 years into a career it looks rather sophomoric and half-assed quite honestly. She said she knew the company she was applying for and the job and she was convinced this was the right way to go. Well, she didn't even get an interview. Our close friend who made the introduction between the girl and the hiring manager was rather horrified when she saw what her friend actually sent. The hiring manager basically passed.

I have been interviewing lately for 3 open positions that are not entry level and I am also rather appalled at the sheer lack of common sense. Some other things that one should not do:

1. Probably not the best idea to ask immediately in an interview where the designated smoker's area is
2. Probably not the best idea to ask how many times you can work from home because you don't have stable child care
3. Probably also not a good idea to just say you are looking for something temporary until you are able to move back to your home state when I make it expressly clear I am hiring for someone who can make a solid commitment for at least 18 months and not just 3-6.
4. Probably also not a good idea to tell me how much you hate math when the job I am hiring for is pretty intensive quantitative work.
5. Probably also a good idea if you are applying for a technical documentation writer position that you actually at least run spell and grammar check through your resume a few times before hitting send.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:32 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Quote:
Payroll is becoming increasingly automated now, or outsourced to Payroll companies.

But nice try.
*laughs*

I have spent a good chunk of my career in HR Outsourcing and I have spent a significant amount of time during implementation discovery sessions with clients discussing how much support they will continue to need at minimum in those groups (HR, Payroll, etc) in their own house to remain effective and to meet their goals.

In all of my years of doing that work, I never met one client who completely got rid of all payroll staff even when outsourcing.

And for what it is worth, the BIG payroll outsourcers still employ MANY US based personnel for outsourced payroll--- technology has helped streamline somethings but there will always be a need for a backoffice.

Most folks who have never worked in payroll have ZERO clue about the complexity of payroll in the US. Not to mention the effective integration between every other HR system (performance management, benefits, pension/401k, tax jurisdictions, etc etc etc) that is VERY complex and a quagmire for even the most technically savvy.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:45 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Quote:
And yet the paper pushers in HR wonder why so many people hate them.
Do you ever say anything positive or do you just read through threads waiting to pounce on the things that you feel work toward your amazingly negative view?

Sheesh.

And, no, we know why some people do not like us. We just don't care.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:47 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The answer someone gives to that question can be very telling about their personality, how they'll fit into the corporate culture, and how suitable they are for the job they've applied for.

If I was hiring a sales executive I wouldn't want to hear that they'd like to be a sloth or a kitten, I want them to tell me that they'd want to be a tiger or a pit bull.

If I was hiring a teacher I'd want them to say a collie.

Etc.
I use this one too. I want to see how they answer it and if they seem thrown by the asking of the question.

I have learned some impressive things...and not sure I have ever had anyone say "sloth" LOL

But, from one person in HR to another, I have to ask...have you? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search