Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 11:30 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,865,038 times

Advertisements

My cousin sends me a text message two day ago to email my resume to one if her friends because she works for a company in my field. So i send her the resume and then the person sends back this response that made me want to throw my computer out the window

"ok thanks, I will give your resume to HR in the morning"

HUH? Isn't that something I could have done myself? Is this the most pointless referral ever? My understanding was that my cousin's friend was going to give it to one someone in management not HR. Am i the only who sees something odd about this whole thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 11:58 PM

30,183 posts, read 23,594,192 times
I've had friends and acquaintances "help me" out with jobs and to be honest, I appreciate their offer but man...they suck at it.

"They are hiring, go apply". I do. "Ok, I'll tell them to watch for it."

Wow. Big help.

"I used to work there, I know a guy." Ok, let's get in contact. Person calls the guy, "Yah, she wants to work there....have her submit an application? Ok."

Wow. Big help.

"This place is hiring, I know the owner." Cool! I go apply, use my friend as a reference, even talk to the owner about it all. Come to find out, the only way the owner knows about my friend is that she's a customer.

Wow. Big help.

As I said in another thread, networking can work, I'm sure it's worked well for some, but for me? I do a whole lot better getting the jobs on my own.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:00 AM

881 posts, read 1,811,448 times
Ur
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
My cousin sends me a text message two day ago to email my resume to one if her friends because she works for a company in my field. So i send her the resume and then the person sends back this response that made me want to throw my computer out the window

HUH? Isn't that something I could have done myself? Is this the most pointless referral ever? My understanding was that my cousin's friend was going to give it to one someone in management not HR. Am i the only who sees something odd about this whole thing?
No, it isn't pointless or odd. You resume send via an employee, will more likely reach the eyes of an actual human being in a position to get you further in the process. Otherwise your resume might never even get that far if you apply online without an internal referral.

Your cousin was nice enough to do you a favor, and the friend did you and your cousin a favor, and you are angry with them?
You are lucky the friend even agreed to refer you, considering she doesn't know you. What does she have to gain by helping you out? She didn't have to do ANY THING for you, much less getting your resume to the people and in a manner you want her to.

Pointless, yes. It was pointless of your cousin to help you at all as you can not see or appreciate the advantage.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I've had friends and acquaintances "help me" out with jobs and to be honest, I appreciate their offer but man...they suck at it.

"They are hiring, go apply". I do. "Ok, I'll tell them to watch for it."

Wow. Big help.

"I used to work there, I know a guy." Ok, let's get in contact. Person calls the guy, "Yah, she wants to work there....have her submit an application? Ok."

Wow. Big help.

"This place is hiring, I know the owner." Cool! I go apply, use my friend as a reference, even talk to the owner about it all. Come to find out, the only way the owner knows about my friend is that she's a customer.

Wow. Big help.

As I said in another thread, networking can work, I'm sure it's worked well for some, but for me? I do a whole lot better getting the jobs on my own.
This is the kind of help I;m seeking, like I received in 1999

My Aunt: "hey my friend is friends with the VP of company ABC and may have an opportunity for you since you have a bachelor's degree

Me: "Ok cool I will be interested in hearing more"

My Aunt: Ok here is my friend's number so you can call him and set up the interview with the VP

Me: Ok I will contact him.

Me Calling my Aunt's Friend: Hello I'm Cheryl's nephew and she wanted me to get in touch with you in regards to JC position

My Aunt's Friend: hey nice to meet you, can you be at Company ABC tomorrow at 10am to meet the VP

Me: Sure I can be there

Me meeting the VP: Hello nice to meet you I was referred to you by Michael in regards to the JB position

VP: Hello nice to meet you, well the position is ......, does that sound like something you would be inteested in?

Me: yes it sounds like an exciting opportunity

I was at that company for 6 years and that's the only kind of help I;m interested in.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
Ur

No, it isn't pointless or odd. You resume send via an employee, will more likely reach the eyes of an actual human being in a position to get you further in the process. Otherwise your resume might never even get that far if you apply online without an internal referral.

Your cousin was nice enough to do you a favor, and the friend did you and your cousin a favor, and you are angry with them?
You are lucky the friend even agreed to refer you, considering she doesn't know you. What does she have to gain by helping you out? She didn't have to do ANY THING for you, much less getting your resume to the people and in a manner you want her to.

Pointless, yes. It was pointless of your cousin to help you at all as you can not see or appreciate the advantage.
I appreciate my cousin helping but when I heard HR that was something I was not expecting. Read my example of the kind of help I received in 1999. I never went anywhere near HR, my aunt's friend was cool with the VP of this company and a interview was set up with the VP. Not some HR person. I can send a resume to HR myself. That's why I stated if someone does not have a STRONG lead then don't get involved

Old 08-10-2012, 01:45 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,060,916 times
Quote:
I appreciate my cousin helping but when I heard HR that was something I was not expecting. Read my example of the kind of help I received in 1999. I never went anywhere near HR, my aunt's friend was cool with the VP of this company and a interview was set up with the VP. Not some HR person. I can send a resume to HR myself. That's why I stated if someone does not have a STRONG lead then don't get involved

All this time and you still don't understand how it works at some companies.

If you had just mailed the resume it may have just been filed, the person taking it in may provide extra input moving it up the chain.

My current job I got after a short phone then in-person interview with the HR manager.

With my current employer I could probably get someone hired from my word alone as long as they are reasonably qualified for the job(and are not a violent felon), I am a "no-body" within the company but they would trust my input.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:29 AM

18,936 posts, read 11,545,230 times
Quote:
That's like saying you're hungry and then snubbing a proffered sandwich because all you want is filet mignon. Times change and the level at which people can assist you can vary, too. As gnomatic indicated, blindly mailing your resume is not the same as having a current employee hand deliver your resume to HR. Your cousin did do you a favor. If you think networking is just about getting direct access to upper management then you have a few more surprises coming your way during your job search.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:58 AM

12,073 posts, read 23,155,986 times
Nobody gets hired without going through HR. Period.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:40 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,896,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Nobody gets hired without going through HR. Period.
Totally false.

In the last four jobs I've held, I didn't meet HR until after an offer had been extended. At that point they stepped in to do the drug screen, etc.

At my current company it's the same way, you are hired by the hiring manager for that job, and even your references are checked by that person. You are sent for your drug screen by our payroll person (I know, weird, but it works well for us) and don't usually meet HR until the day you start working.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:46 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,896,107 times
Quote:

Here's the difference.

If you apply through normal channels, faxing or emailing a resume or applying online, your resume goes into a stack with all the others for review. If they are using computer screening, it might not even make it into the review pile.

When a resume is hand delivered, even to HR, someone is actually going to review that resume. Often because it came from an internal referral, you'll get put into the "schedule interview" pile even if you don't quite look like what they were looking for on paper. If that's the case, that interview is where you can sell yourself and overcome obstacles.

And by the way, it's not 1999 anymore. The times are changing and you can change with them or be left in the dust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search