Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 09:22 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times

Advertisements

A lot of people simply don't know how to write anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 05:21 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
I just hit "Delete" when I see a lousy resume. If you don't even put up the effort to polish your resume, how can I expect you to put up effort for anything else?

Call me judgmental but I spent days polishing my resume, and I had many people critique and proofread.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:15 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,804,642 times
1. Two things- the employees that were strictly application people are now needing to craft a resume.

2. I think there are too many hiring managers that have a different idea of what is good and what is bad. Of course you have 10, 15, 20 different published opinions then of what is good and what is bad.

Typos, misspelled words, poor word choice- no excuse.

But if you are a hiring authority and you are complaining about format, order, paper choice, what is included and what is not included- that's okay but just realize the next person reviewing the same resume may think its fine.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:21 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
take a tyme too right a good resamay and it wil pay off for a grate job!!!!!!!!

Old 08-13-2012, 12:09 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,926,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
The Internet is full of advice on how to write a resume and the library and bookstores are full of hundreds of books on how to write a resume. There are tons of templates you can use on the Internet too. Then why is there so many terrible resumes showing up in businesses across America every day?
lots of illiteracy out there. could also be the same reason as you initially wrote "why are there" and then incorrectly wrote "why is there".

Old 08-13-2012, 01:00 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
My resume was awful looking until I took it to my career center and they taught me how to arrange my information. I was also informed on what I should add and take away. My resume looks decent now. At least for someone about to go into entry level work.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:20 PM

934 posts, read 1,938,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
How's that job search using your uncle as a reference going, since you were fired for being incompetent?

Good catch!

Old 08-13-2012, 01:34 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
The Internet is full of advice on how to write a resume and the library and bookstores are full of hundreds of books on how to write a resume. There are tons of templates you can use on the Internet too. Then why is there so many terrible resumes showing up in businesses across America every day?
Probably the same reason why some people show up to interviews dressed in a t-shirt, jeans and sneakers...and why some folks show up smelling like they recently had fun frolicking in the mud with the pigs at the farm.

Some people just don't take resume writing (or the job search in general) seriously enough...or even worse they just don't care. Or they feel entitled to landing a job, without putting forth any effort on their own.

I was taught in high school English class how to put together a decent resume, cover letter, etc. It was part of the curriculum. Also my mom and sister helped teach me too. And then there were the loads of internet resources out there...yes even back in the late 90s when the Web was still pretty young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Note the original question, "Why is there so many lousy resumes?" Basic proper English doesn't come easily to everyone. No crime, but anyone with a cover letter or resume should have a second pair of eyes that really are tuned to proper English. I still take credit for a friend breaking into the film business because I re-did her ghastly resume and ordered her to take any job whatsoever in a film company- which she did- and now has her own documentary company.
You make a good point about folks who don't know good English b/c it wasn't their first language. That said, a hiring manager or HR person with a good eye can usually tell the difference between a resume written by someone with broken English (due to it not being their first language) and someone who seemingly lacks a 5th grade education. Also, there is more to a good resume than just grammar and spelling. Knowing which info to include and what NOT to include is important, as well as the ordering of the info, and word choice, brevity and so on.

Definitely have at least a second pair of eyes proofread a resume.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:39 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
This is good news for the folks that have decent resumes. It makes the good ones stand out.
Agreed. We get a ton of sloppy resumes with misspellings and poor punctuation. It's astounding to see such little care taken on the job-seeker's part but it makes it easier to toss those away and focus on the few good ones.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:51 AM

380 posts, read 1,156,017 times
I find it interesting when folks judge/complain about other people's flaws, however, a casual glance at the complainer's grammar demonstrates many of the things they are judging others for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search