Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 09:28 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,391,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I consider myself a pretty good judge of character but I always like to listen to what HR has to say. I have been through an organization where HR only sends resumes and arrange for interviews. I hated that. I really like the insight they give me. I particularly like to hear what a female interviewer would say because females are more sensitive to non-verbal cues.

HR is one of most important department in a company. If you read Jack Welch's Winning, you would know what a HR department should do.
But they won't. Absent a clear enemy, blaming HR is the best people have, as try as they might on here, in their heart of hearts, no one can say the economy would have been or will be fine when the other party controls the White House. Blaming HR as the people stopping qualified people from getting the jobs is easier than facing the fact that when 20 apply for 1 opening, even if all 20 are qualified...19 are not getting a job. It is easy to blame HR when you are one of the 19 as if we hadn't started out plot of evil, you would have been hired. The fact that this is a huge logical fallacy is less relevant to people than having someone to blame.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:33 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,557,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
But they won't. Absent a clear enemy, blaming HR is the best people have, as try as they might on here, in their heart of hearts, no one can say the economy would have been or will be fine when the other party controls the White House. Blaming HR as the people stopping qualified people from getting the jobs is easier than facing the fact that when 20 apply for 1 opening, even if all 20 are qualified...19 are not getting a job. It is easy to blame HR when you are one of the 19 as if we hadn't started out plot of evil, you would have been hired. The fact that this is a huge logical fallacy is less relevant to people than having someone to blame.

True! It is hard to look at the mirror and say :"Oh, I think I am the problem."

The hardest thing to change is ourselves. The day we realize that, it's the day we progress..

Old 08-12-2012, 09:37 PM

398 posts, read 1,365,485 times
Quote:
You're in HR, and you've been extremely judgmental of many on this forum... although I do agree with you on some posters... but absolutely disagree on others, you are simply not better at judging character nor do you have greater insight into others than anyone else.

I will admit to being judgmental myself, which is why I'm not qualified to randomly judge others in the workplace for any job positions I have no personal experience working in. I don't believe I can judge anyone's abilities or character to hire them or not, unless it's a job position I've personally held and it's a job with people I've worked with.

Like I said, since you work in HR, you are more qualified to hire someone else in HR... but noone in any HR has qualifications to hire anyone to work in my dept. nor can they judge how an employee will fit in with my dept and team better than I can.

I think HR has an important role in companies... employee record keeping and hiring others to work in HR... just not for hiring people outside their own dept.

Last edited by raymond2; 08-12-2012 at 10:23 PM..

Old 08-12-2012, 09:39 PM

107 posts, read 381,929 times
Quote:
Asking "tell me about yourself" and "what is your greatest weakness" is not an interview, it is a hack job. Every single interview I had for professional jobs was like that. A properly constructed interview goes over elements of the resume one finds most interesting addressing pluses/concerns, etc. You use an interview to elaborate on objective criteria instead of asking idiotic behavioral questions for what is essentially a document rat position.

If I posted an ad for a staff accountant position and one person sent a resume with big4 credentials, another with a stellar BS in Accounting GPA but no relevant work experience, and a third one several years of experience but no college degree, I would use the interview to find out why person A was leaving big 4, whether person B could pick up necessary skills quickly and whether person C's experience was merely moving along instead of being an active participant. I would never ask any behavioral questions as they are completely useless here.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:49 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedRage View Post
Asking "tell me about yourself" and "what is your greatest weakness" is not an interview, it is a hack job. Every single interview I had for professional jobs was like that. A properly constructed interview goes over elements of the resume one finds most interesting addressing pluses/concerns, etc. You use an interview to elaborate on objective criteria instead of asking idiotic behavioral questions for what is essentially a document rat position.

If I posted an ad for a staff accountant position and one person sent a resume with big4 credentials, another with a stellar BS in Accounting GPA but no relevant work experience, and a third one several years of experience but no college degree, I would use the interview to find out why person A was leaving big 4, whether person B could pick up necessary skills quickly and whether person C's experience was merely moving along instead of being an active participant. I would never ask any behavioral questions as they are completely useless here.

I was asked "tell me about yourself" for the first time ever in the month of June and it threw me off completely because I had never ever been asked that question on a job interview before 2012.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:58 PM

107 posts, read 381,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I was asked "tell me about yourself" for the first time ever in the month of June and it threw me off completely because I had never ever been asked that question on a job interview before 2012.
Part of why that question is dumb is it emphasizes SALES ability many people don't have. Not everyone can or wants to do a 1 minute sales pitch of why they should be hired. In many fields, sales ability is worthless.
Before you establish a position you make a list of bona fide occupational requirements. I don't mean that in a legal sense but in a general sense. You set realistic expectations for a position, things that can't be negotiated and those that can. When I see an ad on craigslist asking for 5 years experience and a bachelor's degree in accounting for a staff accountant to do simple general ledger, AP/AR I know the person on the other side is either an idiot or does not care.

If you see my resume on the table and you ask me to tell you more about myself and I proceed to tell you how I am a go getter self starter out of the box thinker with a so and so gpa and several years of experience doing x what have you learned about me? Nothing you could not have learned in advance. Much smarter to go over competencies and flesh out the resume in a systematic way.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:06 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedRage View Post
Part of why that question is dumb is it emphasizes SALES ability many people don't have. Not everyone can or wants to do a 1 minute sales pitch of why they should be hired. In many fields, sales ability is worthless.
Before you establish a position you make a list of bona fide occupational requirements. I don't mean that in a legal sense but in a general sense. You set realistic expectations for a position, things that can't be negotiated and those that can. When I see an ad on craigslist asking for 5 years experience and a bachelor's degree in accounting for a staff accountant to do simple general ledger, AP/AR I know the person on the other side is either an idiot or does not care.

If you see my resume on the table and you ask me to tell you more about myself and I proceed to tell you how I am a go getter self starter out of the box thinker with a so and so gpa and several years of experience doing x what have you learned about me? Nothing you could not have learned in advance. Much smarter to go over competencies and flesh out the resume in a systematic way.
It's been said that question is supposed to be a icebreaker.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:19 PM

Not sure I have ever asked it.

I usually open with asking the person what it was about our company that attracted them to the position.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:23 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I don't understand what you try to prove. Being intelligent doesn't mean he or she can't have any social skills or have to be an awkward geek who refuses to work in a team environment.

I'll be the first one to admit that I am an introvert and a geek. I graduated from top school too. I used to believe technical skill is the key for everything but I was wrong.

That your idea of having good technical skill would propel you to success is laughable at best - you aren't Einstein, are you?

More and more companies are emphasizing teamwork because more and more they see employees as unique individuals not machines and for them to work together efficiently, teamwork is the key.
You can work together efficiently without a lot of bs chitter chatter. Telling me that I "have to be friends" with my co-workers is a load of crap. (I actually had a manager tell me that one time. I responded by telling her that I come to work to work. I don't view it as 5 o'clock happy hour. We talked a little more and I gave her examples...she laughed because she knew I was right.)

I worked in one department where I would say, "hi", and your little "please" and "thank you" that you think introverts don't want to say but I chose to go to my desk and get to work. I worked so well that I often had a lot of time left. I would then, (because apparently introverts cannot be "team players"), would ask if anyone needed help. This was actually RESENTED, not appreciated!

Because I went in and did my work, I was given more responsibility. I was taking on twice the amount of work as my chitty chatty co-workers who wanted to send out a "reply all" email about who wanted Taco Bell, who was going to get Taco Bell, who had some money to loan for Taco Bell, should we get Taco Bell, maybe we should get Wendy's, no, most people want Taco Bell....FFS! That crap went on for over an HOUR! But hey! They were "likeable" in the interview! These insipid twits didn't get anything done.

I would still get my double work load done while some moron behind me discussed how she was wearing the same shoes she wore at the Spaghetti Factory last night...the ones she puked all over in the parking lot as she was leaving.

Yah, great measuring stick to see who would "work better".

Don't assume introverts can't be cordial because we don't want to share your drunken stories, we don't want to talk about fricken lunch plans for an hour, we don't care that you don't want your orange, does anybody want your orange, guys, you have an orange here, does anybody want it, your orange, you guys?

I think I'd much rather work with people who know what they are doing and DO IT instead of some chatty Cathy doll with the brain capacity of a flea.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:29 PM

Do fleas have brains?

I just had to.

And I agree that it was unfair that they resented you for asking if you could help. My boss, who is also the President of the company, comes out of his office all the time and asks us if there is anything that we need help with. It is a genuine offer and nothing negative is meant by it. Why can't you do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search