U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2012, 02:26 PM

70 posts, read 224,829 times

Advertisements

Here's my deal:

I've worked as a TV advertising planner for 2 years, I started off as an assistant but got promoted to the next level about year into the job. That's great and all but I really want to go into digital advertising. However, I've been trying for 8 months to make a lateral move into the digital realm, with no luck. Even though I have the strategic thinking skills that's necessary for this work, no one wants to take a risk on someone with only TV experience - not even in my own company! Some coworkers of mine had similar issues, in fact one guy was offered an internship after interviewing for a digital supervisor role.

I'm also looking for integrated positions, but those are few and far between. I am now considering applying for assistant digital planning roles. How do I word my cover letter to explain why I am looking to essentially downgrade my career?

Help is appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 07:02 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,366,934 times
you word it basically exactly how you just worded this. You're not actually downgrading your career. Your position title and salary might go down, but your utility and job happiness will go up. so it's a wash. you have to tailor it to say that you're to move into something that you are more interested in and can apply what you have learned.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search