Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 05:50 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,714,718 times

Advertisements

In the age of applying for jobs digitally online on sites like craigslist, we have no idea what type of companies we are applying to most of the time. Especially when many of us send out dozens of resumes a week.

I have a funny story. I went to a job interview in Philadelphia yesterday. I live in Maryland and lied on the application that I lived two hours a way in Philly. I got a phone call the day before yesterday about an interview. I agreed. I made the drive up to Philly in the morning and got there in time for interview. When I arrived, I was impressed that the office was located smack in the middle of busy downtown Philadelphia on Market Street in one of the skyscrapers in a 50+ story office building. Everybody out and about in the area was dressed for business including myself. I wear nothing but suits to job interviews nowadays. I got to the front desk and was directed to one of the higher floors in the building. I rode the elevator up and saw a beautiful office space with pristine floors, an immaculate leather couch with a marble table with the latest issue of the Wall Street journal laid out in front of a spectacular view of Philadelphia from hundreds of feet in the air. It felt like the scene from an 80's movie like Big when Tom Hanks arrived for his interview with the prestigious toy company in downtown Manhattan in NYC. It felt like I had arrived.

When my interviewer came out, I was surprised that he was a young guy wearing very casual clothing. I went into the board room and he starts showing me what the business is about. I am a graphic designer and he was showing me the various design projects that company would be undertaking. All of the ad's were fliers for ghetto stripclubs and nightclubs in the area. His start-up company was very Hip Hop oriented as he said in his own words. I looked like I had zero street credit wearing a suit to the interview. I looked way too conservative for this type of company. Don't get me wrong, I am a young guy from the hood, myself, and I love Hip Hop and everything like that. But I usually try to hide that as much as possible when interviewing with companies owned by old White men. But I would have made a better impression wearing my casual clothes and completely being myself in this situation. But there is no way I could have known! I doubt I will be getting a call back. Ironically, the other guy waiting for an interview with the same company in a different position was dressed very casual and looked like he would get along with the company owner better.

This is not the first time something like this has happened. One time a few months ago, I showed up to an interview wearing a navy blazer, a shirt and tie and some khakis with wingtips and was told that I was dressed "all fancy" to the interview which was at his private home since he owned his own business. Other times, I have been chewed out for not wearing a suit to an interview at Wal-Mart. I wish that the interviewing process was strictly based on skills alone and your outward appearance didn't matter too much.

Anyone else have funny interview stories where they met with something incredibly unexpected?

Last edited by goldenchild08; 08-17-2012 at 06:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 05:58 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
I think the most unexpected thing I ever encountered in an interview was when I was asked "when was the last time you cried at work?" It was a team interview, too, with six people sitting around a boardroom table firing questions at me.

Didn't accept that offer....

Old 08-17-2012, 06:41 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
I think the most unexpected thing I ever encountered in an interview was when I was asked "when was the last time you cried at work?" It was a team interview, too, with six people sitting around a boardroom table firing questions at me.

What an odd question!

Old 08-17-2012, 09:22 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What an odd question!
Yeah, I honestly didn't even want to know what in heaven's name made them ask that. My spouse thought they either must have had a chronic weeper in the position before or else one of the senior execs was a toxic sort that thrived on reducing everyone to tears, either of which I guess could have been plausible. Either way, I knew I didn't want that job.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:25 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Yeah, I honestly didn't even want to know what in heaven's name made them ask that. My spouse thought they either must have had a chronic weeper in the position before or else one of the senior execs was a toxic sort that thrived on reducing everyone to tears, either of which I guess could have been plausible. Either way, I knew I didn't want that job.
A lot of people cry at work place. :-( Isn't that odd.

The point is to see the reaction of the candidate. Sort of the same as when you interview your babysitter: "When's the last time you did drugs?" I hope you do interview your babysitter.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:14 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Quote:

I havnt yet, but could see my self crying in the future, depending on what call I get. I am not sure how I am going to react once I get that 1st call "I need to report an auto accident, and my xxxxxx died"

Old 08-18-2012, 09:24 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
Quote:

Wow.

Do you suppose they were worried you were going to be too emotional or do you think they have such a history of making people in your position (well the one you were applying for) cry that they are looking for an applicant without tear ducts? I am with the aforementioned spouse of yours on wondering the motivation.

Although could have been one of the more "out there" behavioral questions companies are trying. Although, I have been through a LOT of HR and interviewing training. Don't recall that one.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:11 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
In the age of applying for jobs digitally online on sites like craigslist, we have no idea what type of companies we are applying to most of the time. Especially when many of us send out dozens of resumes a week.

I have a funny story. I went to a job interview in Philadelphia yesterday. I live in Maryland and lied on the application that I lived two hours a way in Philly. I got a phone call the day before yesterday about an interview. I agreed. I made the drive up to Philly in the morning and got there in time for interview. When I arrived, I was impressed that the office was located smack in the middle of busy downtown Philadelphia on Market Street in one of the skyscrapers in a 50+ story office building. Everybody out and about in the area was dressed for business including myself. I wear nothing but suits to job interviews nowadays. I got to the front desk and was directed to one of the higher floors in the building. I rode the elevator up and saw a beautiful office space with pristine floors, an immaculate leather couch with a marble table with the latest issue of the Wall Street journal laid out in front of a spectacular view of Philadelphia from hundreds of feet in the air. It felt like the scene from an 80's movie like Big when Tom Hanks arrived for his interview with the prestigious toy company in downtown Manhattan in NYC. It felt like I had arrived.

When my interviewer came out, I was surprised that he was a young guy wearing very casual clothing. I went into the board room and he starts showing me what the business is about. I am a graphic designer and he was showing me the various design projects that company would be undertaking. All of the ad's were fliers for ghetto stripclubs and nightclubs in the area. His start-up company was very Hip Hop oriented as he said in his own words. I looked like I had zero street credit wearing a suit to the interview. I looked way too conservative for this type of company. Don't get me wrong, I am a young guy from the hood, myself, and I love Hip Hop and everything like that. But I usually try to hide that as much as possible when interviewing with companies owned by old White men. But I would have made a better impression wearing my casual clothes and completely being myself in this situation. But there is no way I could have known! I doubt I will be getting a call back. Ironically, the other guy waiting for an interview with the same company in a different position was dressed very casual and looked like he would get along with the company owner better.

This is not the first time something like this has happened. One time a few months ago, I showed up to an interview wearing a navy blazer, a shirt and tie and some khakis with wingtips and was told that I was dressed "all fancy" to the interview which was at his private home since he owned his own business. Other times, I have been chewed out for not wearing a suit to an interview at Wal-Mart. I wish that the interviewing process was strictly based on skills alone and your outward appearance didn't matter too much.

Anyone else have funny interview stories where they met with something incredibly unexpected?

All companies have their own style of interviewing so no one is never ever going to know what to expect when interviewing for the 1st time. You are not supposed to know what to expect which is what the interview experience is all about. Just like at my last interview I was asked the question below for the first time ever in my life

"Tell me about yourself"

Old 08-19-2012, 05:14 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
A lot of people cry at work place. :-( Isn't that odd.

The point is to see the reaction of the candidate. Sort of the same as when you interview your babysitter: "When's the last time you did drugs?" I hope you do interview your babysitter.
I only seen woman cry at work never any men. I hope I never see a man crying at work because that would be the last time I would be talking to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search