Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 02:53 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post
All I want to say is that this thread has been highly entertaining! Please, carry on!

For the record, while I think its a bit much to purposefully try to look into a person's car (sorry, but no stranger is walking me back to my car and its military grade clean, believe that), I do believe certain habits and traits give insight into a person's personality and priorities. Should they be used in the hiring process? I, again, have to go with "depends on the job."
LOL!

From "Likeability matters for a job candidate!" to "What's actually really IMPORTANT is how clean the candidate's car is! That is a deciding factor and hiring managers follow you to your car to play amateur private eye!"

Only on CD!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 03:08 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
You didn't answer the question. If the candidates were equal in all other areas, which would you hire?
I answered your question perfectly fine the first time. Now if it's not the answer you wanted to hear, that's really not my problem.

I would choose the person who I feel is most capable of doing the job.

There are NEVER two equal candidates (NEVER).

Old 08-22-2012, 03:11 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You can argue
I'm not arguing.

Just making my point as clearly as possible.

Now whether you chose to recognize my point is entirely up to you.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:13 PM

715 posts, read 1,073,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
LOL!

From "Likeability matters for a job candidate!" to "What's actually really IMPORTANT is how clean the candidate's car is! That is a deciding factor and hiring managers follow you to your car to play amateur private eye!"

Only on CD!

LOLOL! Someone is asking to get tazered.

I know C-levels and an engineer savant who kept crazy cars, but they were the best at their jobs.

I hope this was just fun between long time posters. If not, this job market really is out of control.

Either way, I haven't been able to stop laughing. Y'all crazy!

Old 08-22-2012, 03:18 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I answered your question perfectly fine the first time. Now if it's not the answer you wanted to hear, that's really not my problem.

I would choose the person who I feel is most capable of doing the job.

There are NEVER two equal candidates (NEVER).
And the one that I like the most is going to get the job. In fact I'm going to hire someone I like and want to work with even if there is a more qualified candidate if the more qualified person annoys me. I don't care how good you are at your job, if I don't like you, I'm not going to hire you.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:26 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
OK, I finally got a Human Resources person to tell me why I was not hired into a job that I put so much effort into the application process. I put together lots of supplemental information; tried to create a link between the job description and my background and studied lots of interview books.

So here is the reason they said I was not hired: Likability. They did not like me.

Is this a good reason? I was hired to work not put on a coffee party, right?

I was interviewed for an Office Manager job.

Did the interviewers not like you, or were they being evasive? Possibly they sensed something more negative.

Perhaps what they meant is that you impressed them as aloof, or even worse - abrasive. If you are the office manager (and I was one) the staff's first impressions have to be positive. You may, indeed, turn out to run a very tight ship, but if the first vibes you give off are negative you can knock a department into a cocked hat simply because no one wants to cooperate with you or take directions from you. After that it is very difficult to get things back on track.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post
LOLOL! Someone is asking to get tazered.

I know C-levels and an engineer savant who kept crazy cars, but they were the best at their jobs.

I hope this was just fun between long time posters. If not, this job market really is out of control.

Either way, I haven't been able to stop laughing. Y'all crazy!
Next thing to consider -- if someone has wacky bumper stickers on their car, how many demerits does the hiring manager give for each one?

Old 08-22-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
And the one that I like the most is going to get the job. In fact I'm going to hire someone I like and want to work with even if there is a more qualified candidate if the more qualified person annoys me. I don't care how good you are at your job, if I don't like you, I'm not going to hire you.
And now we have come full circle, back to the original premise of the thread ...

Old 08-22-2012, 03:38 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Next thing to consider -- if someone has wacky bumper stickers on their car, how many demerits does the hiring manager give for each one?
Depends. Is it funny wacky or offensive wacky?

If it's a bumper sticker that says "Dinosaurs aren't extinct ... They're just hiding" I'll laugh.

If it's racist or otherwise offensive, you just lost a job offer. I also don't really care for Jesus fish or political stickers, although generally that's your business. Unless you are using the car on company business. Then it becomes mine.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:19 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I'm not arguing.

Just making my point as clearly as possible.

Now whether you chose to recognize my point is entirely up to you.
Fine. You can make all the points you want but they don't work in the real world. You can continue to live in your imagined world or you can come to the real world.

Again, since you think you are so smart and have everything figured out, why can't you learn the interview skill and nail every interview you go to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search