Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 06:50 AM

65 posts, read 73,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
I am not ignoring anything. I am harping on the same old points just like those that keep trying to put words in my and others' mouths. I know that must seem difficult for you to understand. However, if you feel I am harping on the same points, then by all means ignore my posts. Funny how you said nothing about those that brought up religion, which is clearly off topic here. But anyway carry on I don't need to explain myself to you. Done.
Item number 2 in my list was about the religious point. Clearly you missed that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 07:03 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Now a days there may be more of that....but employERS started that.

I think people before the baby boom generation -- my parents and grandparents -- definitely WERE LOYAL to their companies/employers. Heck people stayed at jobs their entire careers. ANd their KIDS worked there, too.

But, as those who came after saw COMPANIES changing -- and getting rid of people who had been loyal -- THEN workers started thinking why should they be loyal when they'll get rid of us anyway.
This is absolutely true. Companies started it. But the people wanted it. We created an environment where companies could no longer afford to function in the manner in which they used to. This resulted in a negative impact for everyone. That's the risk we take when we have the government meddle.

The cycle got worse when in the 90s employees took advantage of the excellent job market and started job hopping.

Now Obama has made it even worse with his new policy. Unfortunately, no one is focusing on improving the employee-employer relationship. We're destroying it. But it appears it's what the people want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

If workers know going in employers will lie to them, then why can't the workers do it too. It's a sad vicious circle but that's what it is.
I suppose if that's a circle one wants to get into, that's their problem. I find it easier to just be involved with an honest employer. You can be choosy about who you work with. I personally do not like to be screwed. To each their own.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:11 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,968,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't drink "Jesus Juice". You're welcome to get your own if that's your thing.

According to Jesus's teachings, God will not understand. A person who claims to be Christian and lying on a resume or job interview is lying to themselves as well (or just ignorant).
No, no. A person is guaranteed to get to heaven as long as he accepts Jesus as his personal savior, and so long as you are sorry for your sins and repent, you are forgiven. Actually, Christ's death was expiation for all of our sins.

So, God does understand, if you are a Christian. You also are not supposed to judge others, because that's between the person and God. So no one really knows the state of another's soul, if you are Christian, other than the person has accepted Christ and is going to heaven.

"Judge not, lest ye be judged". Remember?

Old 12-30-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
This needs to be moved to the Religious Forum. Off topic. "How do you feel about lying on a resume/job interview" is the topic. Not whether good Christians lie or not, or "do real Christians lie at interviews/on resume?" or "How to follow the teaching"....-??
How do you FEEL - some people have their FEELINGS informed by their religious upbringing. I didn't want to get into this, either, but some people persist in talking about their religion, so there it is.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I don't call it lying, I cal it "telling them what they want to hear."

As long as you somehow showed them that you're capable of doing the job actually do a good job, they won't care.

You will never be successful in life if you can't "embellish" things. The cold-hearted truth is boring and can hurt.
If at all possible, lie to work your way up, from job to job, as long as you can do the work chances are no one will call you on it. Once you hit a company where you intend to stay a while, maybe to retirement, I would not put anything on the resume or application that they can call you on. You never know, they can at some point go on the warpath against older people and scrutinize every little thing that you put down in writing to can you.

For curiosity, how do you find defunct companies to put on your resume???
I'm retired, so this is just for curiosity's sake.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Isn't it a little disingenuous to think that just because the news reports a few bad apples that most executives by default must be scumbags? I have only met around 40 executives in my life, but I have yet to meet one who wasn't a very honest person. The people on this thread who are OK lying to get a job are less honest than every single executive I have met in real life. From my personal experience, it seems people who are unhappy with their careers go out of their way to vilify executives based on a rare few bad examples just to justify their own slimy behavior.
Oh, come on. A good lier is not easy to spot, by definition.

A company's goal is to squeeze as much work out of you for as little money as possible. When you have no energy left, they throw you away.

Most employee's goals are not to give as little possible work for as much pay as possible. There is this concept of taking pride in your work that most employees adhere to. Salaried people work more than 9 to 5, come in on weekends and are sometimes called in at night and asked to work during holidays. All with no extra compensation and surprisingly little complaint.

What more can a manager expect of those under him, unless we are going to have Chinese working conditions? What, in reality, does a manager have to complain about? What does he have to lie about? The ball is totally in his court.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:20 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,276,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quitters_Win View Post
Why can't you ever lie? I don't really understand because even Fortune 500 CEO's lie; plus HR and hiring managers aren't that honest either. I have to disagree with you ; I think that if you must lie than you have to back it up. About 30% of what you say during the interview HR is already assuming your lying anyways. I think it's also human nature to lie for example people under oath in court and also people lie when they return items they bought at the store.
If I found out, I'd fire you for cause and destroy your chances of getting a job in the future.
I would be honest when giving references.

I was recently forced to hire someone and they don't like their job description.
They said that they didn't have to do the work of their job description in the past.
I told this person that they had choices, do what's on their job description, quit, or be fired.

They got the current job by saying that the performed the tasks on their job description.

If the person isn't up to snuff in 6 months, they'll lose their job.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:27 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,202,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Oh, come on. A good lier is not easy to spot, by definition.
So obviously that means that the person who got the job instead of you HAS to be a liar, right?

Quote:
A company's goal is to squeeze as much work out of you for as little money as possible. When you have no energy left, they throw you away.
So start your own gig, or stop complaining. You work for the company, not the other way around.

Quote:
Most employee's goals are not to give as little possible work for as much pay as possible. There is this concept of taking pride in your work that most employees adhere to. Salaried people work more than 9 to 5, come in on weekends and are sometimes called in at night and asked to work during holidays. All with no extra compensation and surprisingly little complaint.
Sorry, but this isn't true. A few employees take pride in their work, but if the boss leaves early, most will be in their car driving home five minutes after the boss leaves. Most people want to do as little as possible to not risk getting fired. A few aren't like that, but they are the exception, not the rule.

Quote:
What more can a manager expect of those under him, unless we are going to have Chinese working conditions? What, in reality, does a manager have to complain about? What does he have to lie about? The ball is totally in his court.
People go out of their way to lie in interviews just to get a job, and then a manager is stuck with a person who can't do the work, or can't do it as effectively. Regardless of ability, it is extremely difficult to fire someone. Have you ever been through legal training on how to fire someone? It takes months upon months (typically over a year) of documenting poor performance before a person can be fired without the risk of a lawsuit, during which time the manager's team is suffering. A manager has a lot to worry about, and slimy applicants trying to screw a company over by lying about skills and backgrounds in interviews does nothing but hurt the decent, honest people on a team who have to make up for the liar's slack.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:46 AM

763 posts, read 2,604,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I play the same game they do.

There is no reason for them to check my credit rating, unless I'll be handling large sums of money which I probably won't. I don't mind criminal background checks as my record is clean. The employer doesn't need a copy of my paystubs, W2s or any other financial info that doesn't concern them.

I hear the reasons they want this is to confirm and "compare" a salary offer to you. I don't believe it. They're lying. They want this info to be NOSEY!! It doesn't matter what you made before, because they already have a salary CURRENTLY in mind which they plan on giving you no matter what you made previously.

Also, giving them access to facebook accounts is the absolute in disgust which is why I got rid of my facebook years ago. I can't control the people who have pics of me on their accounts, but as long as I don't have one, I'm cool.
EXCELLENT POST!! I couldn't agree more!!

Old 12-31-2012, 07:47 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,025,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
If I found out, I'd fire you for cause and destroy your chances of getting a job in the future.
I would be honest when giving references.
Do you think the employee would be stupid enough to put your company down or use you as a reference?

Seriously??

Get over yourself and your perceived "power".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search