Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 03:21 PM

161 posts, read 255,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Where are you?
I am from TN, nashville. May I take a wild guess if you have advance degree (MS, PhD) in chemistry or biology ? I mean in science rather than engineering.

Quote:
I'm not sure what a process engineer does. I'm not an engineer, although many of my colleagues have engineering degrees and backgrounds. We have the gamut of degrees from marine science to enviro and engineering. It's sort of funny. I'm chem and clinical. I'm involved in physiochemistry in early drug discovery at an institute in Cambridge.
process engineer description : ^_^

as you can see , there is a reason why they prefer people with industry experience. I wish I realize the situation sooner. ChemE student learn a great amount of knowledge in chemistry like a student in chemistry major. They also have back ground in transport phenomena, which I think should be useful in drug research. In my humble opinion, I think you are mostly dealing with small scale research project in biological lab environment, is that right ? On the other hand, chemE they take a small scale from lab bench to scale up in a chemical plant.

Quote:
To note, I personally don't pay attention to what comes out of the ACS, although the ACS spams my email continually. It's who they survey, and the people they survey are members aren't they? ACS members do not span the gamut in industries and seem to be such a confined group. It had its place and perks while in school, but it pretty much ended there for me. That's all an aside to this discussion, tho.
ACS spamed me as well , but I just focus on their annually report published on their website. The overall picture is bleak. As I mentioned, the job prospect for a advanced degree holder depends greatly on hot topic in industry which they choose to do or their thesis advisor currently have project on. You do drug discovery in which I believe is a very hot field right now . That's awesome.

Quote:
If you're committed to only one aspect/area of industry, and unwilling to entertain available opportunity, then I can see how that would be problematic when trying to land a job. I certainly didn't plan for the track I'm on now, but it's work, relatively interesting, good pay and benefits, and I just went with the flow. I'm on a track now and once on one it's difficult to get off. So, it's good that you're thinking of it.
yeah, I understand that but no success sofar. I don't want to apply for lab tech position cuz I know I have no interest in doing chem/biochem research. Process industry is large, ranging from oil gas to food, chemical and bio fuel such as ethanol. But exp is needed

Quote:
I think that sounds like a great idea for you if that's where your interests lay. I recommend that you spend as much time as possible with professors while in school, other grad students ahead of you, and network your ass off. If you can find a p/t gig to intern (volunteer even if they won't pay), go for that as well. Try to suck the life out of your grad experience in order to build a solid foundation. Good luck to you. I would be interested in learning about the program and school you eventually choose.
I have a short list of school right now in my mind, but not sure yet. I will apply and see. To be honest , I have more interest in math/computer and finance than chemistry or biology, I just discover it a little bit late. The ongoing/hot research right now in the chemical engineering field is biology related (biomolecular) , nano material, new energy, the computational research in chemE is not a hot field.

I think I need motivation to do graduate study, since it requires a lot of hard work., i.e that's why I should choose the field I truly like and willing to invest my time and effort rather than continue my undergraduate track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 05:05 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,181,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max100 View Post
I am from TN, nashville. May I take a wild guess if you have advance degree (MS, PhD) in chemistry or biology ? I mean in science rather than engineering.
Yea, you're correct. Well, chem and then I studied clinical science. I was considering med school at the time. I know engineers do fine with just the undergrad, but I'm not really up on engineering.

Quote:
process engineer description : ^_^
Different, but in many ways surprisingly similar to what I see in discovery. There's heavy automation engineering that we're all forced to contend with from A to Z. While it's not the same as what you're used to, there are procedures, scripts, teaching the robots, etc. I'm trying to get more involved in my own lab because we're really on our with our instrumentation. It's so much easier if we know how to build, fix, etc on our own.

Quote:
as you can see , there is a reason why they prefer people with industry experience. I wish I realize the situation sooner. ChemE student learn a great amount of knowledge in chemistry like a student in chemistry major. They also have back ground in transport phenomena, which I think should be useful in drug research. In my humble opinion, I think you are mostly dealing with small scale research project in biological lab environment, is that right ? On the other hand, chemE they take a small scale from lab bench to scale up in a chemical plant.
On my end, yes, it's typically small scale since it's research. Although, pharma runs the gamut to large scale up for manufacturing. That's definitely not my cup of tea, way too rigid.

Quote:
ACS spamed me as well , but I just focus on their annually report published on their website. The overall picture is bleak. As I mentioned, the job prospect for a advanced degree holder depends greatly on hot topic in industry which they choose to do or their thesis advisor currently have project on. You do drug discovery in which I believe is a very hot field right now . That's awesome.
There's been plenty of heartache in pharma. It's certainly ebb and flow. I suppose a lot of industries are like that. Companies open and close. Projects are started and canceled. Given that, I've found living in a biotech hub to be invaluable because if I were to lose my job (God forbid), there are hundreds of companies in my area (many in the town I even live in) that I could look at in order to avoid a painful relocation.

Quote:
yeah, I understand that but no success sofar. I don't want to apply for lab tech position cuz I know I have no interest in doing chem/biochem research. Process industry is large, ranging from oil gas to food, chemical and bio fuel such as ethanol. But exp is needed
Yea, that's tough. It's amazing that some of your fellow students were able to land internships. I've spoken with a few people who I believe are in that field and it seems their jobs are always far away. Is there no way to get a gig in ND or some other remote place that would be less attractive to most? At least for the experience.

Quote:
I have a short list of school right now in my mind, but not sure yet. I will apply and see. To be honest , I have more interest in math/computer and finance than chemistry or biology, I just discover it a little bit late. The ongoing/hot research right now in the chemical engineering field is biology related (biomolecular) , nano material, new energy, the computational research in chemE is not a hot field.
You seem to be very aware of what's going on. As an aside, I know a few computational chemists, and while they are doing well, the jobs seem to be scarce. I have a girlfriend with two offers she's considering right now. One is in Cambridge, the other in Basel Switzerland. She's from Argentina! So, people are really having to relocate these days.

Quote:
I think I need motivation to do graduate study, since it requires a lot of hard work., i.e that's why I should choose the field I truly like and willing to invest my time and effort rather than continue my undergraduate track.
Agreed. Lots of work. Again, I wish you the very best and much success in your life and professional endeavors.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max100 View Post
Oh! yeah! I have the same situation as OP. I graduate this May with a BS degree in bio chemical engineering and minor in mathematics and CS (all most a second BS in math if you count the math course work). When I started college 5 years ago, my parents wanted me to be premed, and I was also told by the dean of engineering if I could not get into med school, the chemical engineering degree is a good degree to have, starting salary should be at least 50k.

Here you go! I did the same thing as the OP did, get all As in my engineering class, CS and mathematics class ( very hard classes), I want to keep the GPA high to apply for med school. I also took courses in the summer full time. However at the end of my junior years, I did not want to go to med school anymore when I realize that I do not love to study biology related subject that much. So I think, at least I still have a chemE to start a career.

In my senior year, most of other kids they start to do their senior thesis with a company, i.e internship. I also started my thesis by working alone in our school engineering lab. I worked alone and hard (7-12hrs a day in the lab for a year + my senior course work) to research, run experiment, collect data, and failed multiple time before to get the report done (it's indeed more like a research paper ). In fact I designed my own method, experiment, with very little help from the professors. The other kids have co-workers, ect... to help them spoon fed the method, the literature review, all they do is to write the report, collect data. I.e I can think, they don't. This is also true while I did homework + doing team project + team lab with them. Most of the critical thinking part/method I have to do it myself, they could not contribute any useful idea.

And yeah, the OP is also true about this kind of students. They did not bother to do homework, project rather than to work part time at a restaurant to pay for electronics, cellphone bills, and flirt around with girls. Most of the time, I have to finish the team reports/ team homework myself to turn them in on time.

But here is the interesting story:

I graduated with a 3.75 overall gpa May 2012 ( my engineering gpa is 3.8, math is 4.0). Now I am employed with an Indian restaurant, I also use my math skill but as a cashier ^_^. I have sent over 100 resume , fixed cover letter... but no success.
While the kid that I know (used to be the same team member) , his GPA sucks, he failed the core engineer class ( thermodynamics, transport phenomena) twice now have multiple offers. He and I both applied to the same position, but the recruiter don't even bother to give me an interview. The year he failed his core courses, he repeated again to earn a C and intern with a company while I worked in that lab.

Now, I don't know what to do beside keep applying online. My best bet is that I will do a PhD in computational engineering and to become a researcher (but I know this route is a painful route, but at least it is better than to use my math skill at the Indian restaurant every night).

If I could do it again, I wish I could do the same as the other kids. Now I realize that the one who is truly smart, not me, nor my professor, but those kids.

If you have any advice for me, I really appreciate it.

Best regard,

max100.
I am having almost the same situation. During my undergraduate years, I tried maintaining high GPA to apply for a really good Pharmacy school. I did get in but in the end, changed my mind and graduated with my B.S in Maths instead. I did not regret that decision though, I only regretted that I should have networked more, instead of just studying hard. First job is usually earned though connections, and when there's some experiences, other past college courses with high-low GPA are just history.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:07 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,172 times
I just graduated from my program last month. I studied hard, kept near perfect attendance, etc. And the first few students from my class to land jobs barely passed, two of the three failed their licensing exams on the first try, and get two more tries. Two of the three had terrible attendance, in class and clinic. One showed up 15 minutes late for our last final, a final she had to score well on just to pass the class, because she had skipped many assignments and not turned in work. She would show up 30-45 minutes late for clinic, and the clinical instructor would sign her in at 8am....when she was SUPPOSED to be there. It now looks like this site is going to hire her.

What I'm learning is your GPA isn't important, being prompt and having good attendance means little, etc. You get hired based on who you know, not WHAT you know.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:15 PM

5,895 posts, read 3,894,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
You get hired based on who you know, not WHAT you know.
This is how its always been.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:13 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,172 times
I know, I know. It just really sucks to see it fall so in line with the legend. The sorriest students in our class have jobs first. One of our better students got hired today, so there is hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search