Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 12:07 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I can only speak from my experience. I can't speak about your resume or interview. To get direct feedback, I recommend interviewing with friends and family. How many interviews have you done with your friends and family? If you are getting different answers, there may be different aspects to improve. If you can google free career advice groups, you might find some in churches or on meetup.com. I started out with a free charity class at my church.
and apparently, hiring-managers, employers are willing to overlook a mediocre interview during the holidays when hiring seasonal employees
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 07:30 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
and apparently, hiring-managers, employers are willing to overlook a mediocre interview during the holidays when hiring seasonal employees
Last time, I applied for a seasonal job was over a decade ago. I don't remember much to talk about seasonal jobs. It's been too long. I was not interested in retail or stocker positions.

During the class, I applied for non-seasonal jobs and nobody in our class wanted a temporary job. It was more difficult to apply for jobs during the holidays. A few hiring people were out all week around Thanksgiving. Nobody wanted to interview the week before Christmas through a week after New Years. When HR would schedule an interview, they had to work around vacation schedules. It would be pushed out a week. Sometimes they would push it out again, because the interviewer was trying to catch up on work after missing a week.

For the the job I took, I applied in October. There was a hiring freeze from December to January. I was interviewed in late February, 4 months later! It was crazy. Since 4 months had passed, I was well prepared from the class. I had an updated resume and my best interview, yet. The recruiter said the hiring manager was impressed by the interview and offered $10k more than requested.

Last edited by move4ward; 09-24-2012 at 08:56 AM..

Old 09-24-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Last time, I applied for a seasonal job was over a decade ago. I don't remember much to talk about seasonal jobs. It's been too long. I was not interested in retail or stocker positions.

During the class, I applied for non-seasonal jobs and nobody in our class wanted a temporary job. It was more difficult to apply for jobs during the holidays. A few hiring people were out all week around Thanksgiving. Nobody wanted to interview the week before Christmas through a week after New Years. When HR would schedule an interview, they had to work around vacation schedules. It would be pushed out a week. Sometimes they would push it out again, because the interviewer was trying to catch up on work after missing a week.

For the the job I took, I applied in October. There was a hiring freeze from December to January. I was interviewed in late February, 4 months later! It was crazy. Since 4 months had passed, I was well prepared from the class. I had an updated resume and my best interview, yet. The recruiter said the hiring manager was impressed by the interview and offered $10k more than requested.
well i got hired at Target as a seasonal employee in the Fall of last year, but have been unable to get hired for another retail job or customer-service job this year despite having 11 interviews

Old 09-25-2012, 12:01 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,985,621 times
Two months?! You've got to be kidding me. That's not a lot of time at all. Are the "various" jobs that you have been looking for been in your field?

I've been looking for a permanent Finance job since I graduated in 2009. Everything else has been temporary or permanent retail jobs.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:12 PM

still, sick and tired of it, but the internship i've been doing has me made feel great, glad to be productive and active again

Old 09-26-2012, 08:33 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Two months?! You've got to be kidding me. That's not a lot of time at all. Are the "various" jobs that you have been looking for been in your field?

I've been looking for a permanent Finance job since I graduated in 2009. Everything else has been temporary or permanent retail jobs.

You are absolutely right, 2 months is not very long. Her new job was just around the corner! She started a new thread with the good news here : //www.city-data.com/forum/work-...5-new-job.html

While you are looking for a job, have you thought of adding a certification for SQL certification. The overlap may open more doors, if you are able to analyze and pull numbers from a database. Our HR dept has been sending resumes of finance/accounting majors with technical certifications/skills for analyst positions. Many of these people have skills in Oracle or SQL Server. At the other end of the spectrum, some resumes have only MS Access and no certs. MS Access can be very complex though, if you get into development.

Last edited by move4ward; 09-26-2012 at 08:48 PM..

Old 09-26-2012, 10:52 PM

653 posts, read 1,802,662 times
Well I've been searching for three months and am losing momentum. Absolutely no responses for two months.

Keep in mind that for the past 3.5 years I've only been treading water. Making just enough to pay the bills. I left my last job to finally concentrate on getting a great job and back into good money.

I just can't understand how there could be so many people better qualified than me taking all these jobs I'm applying for, given my great background in the field and an MBA from a southern Ivy.

I'm starting to wonder if I still have it.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:

overall, the point is, is that job, work experience and qualifications does not matter as much during the holidays as it does during the non-holiday times of year

Old 10-07-2012, 06:05 PM

763 posts, read 2,604,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
overall, the point is, is that job, work experience and qualifications does not matter as much during the holidays as it does during the non-holiday times of year
During the holidays, businesses just want warm bodies to help sell and run registers.

I get extremely tired of interviewing and not getting the jobs. I even had one interviewer tell me after reviewing my resume for a position that with my background and experience, they couldn't afford me. Yea, that's what happens when you're job hunting in your 50's.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:55 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Well I've been searching for three months and am losing momentum. Absolutely no responses for two months.

Keep in mind that for the past 3.5 years I've only been treading water. Making just enough to pay the bills. I left my last job to finally concentrate on getting a great job and back into good money.

I just can't understand how there could be so many people better qualified than me taking all these jobs I'm applying for, given my great background in the field and an MBA from a southern Ivy.

I'm starting to wonder if I still have it.
I get it. One interview I had I blew them away (their words), my background qualifications everything. I was perfect. I even said I was happy to take a paycut to work within the parameters of their pay. It wasn't that much, and the upside was more flexibility and working from home.

I spoke to the hiring manager a couple of weeks ago and they ended up hiring someone that had NO qualifications but saved money. That was the sticking point, I was willing to bend, I don't think she had full trust in my saying so.

So now the company is stuck with someone who doesn't know what they are doing, and IMO will lose clients left and right.

And yes two months is not a lot of time to interview. Again, my frustration is companies requesting you to take a day off, drive hours, pay for parking etc. If this is the case, it should be the FINAL interview. Not a screening interview, an interview where you will know within a week if the job is yours or not. This doesn't seem the way companies work anymore.

So I am taking a step out of the corporate world for awhile, taking a paycut, to do something I am very good at, will enjoy and get decent benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search