Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 09:33 AM

97 posts, read 265,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west_2_east View Post
Question for people here, how in the world does one become a better "fit" for positions? Seriously, every interview I've had, they've passed over me for some mediocre frat kid because I'm not a good "fit" for the company. I spent all of my senior year of school becoming more personable, working on interviewing, and I seriously just don't get it. To me, using fit as an excuse is just bogus, unless someone is legitimately a sociopath or completely unable to hold eye contact/speak properly in the interview. I have none of those issues and it seriously leads me to think that I just don't have enough people at the company pulling for me.

I know what you mean.... Look at me.. 37 years old.. I've had past success in previous positions.. served 8 years in the Army...

I'm somewhat confident.. I dress right for the interviews....
I've been taking college classes, to try to better myself (was even contemplating switching my degree program over, because I didn't want to take the class Speech Communications.. but I got over it and accomplished that).. thinking it would make me more rounded and develop my communication skills more...

Same ole song and dance after the interview..

It really gets old..

but of course.. I keep plugging along... I have a phone screen today, and another face-to-face interview on Wednesday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 10:03 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,871,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west_2_east View Post
Question for people here, how in the world does one become a better "fit" for positions? Seriously, every interview I've had, they've passed over me for some mediocre frat kid because I'm not a good "fit" for the company. I spent all of my senior year of school becoming more personable, working on interviewing, and I seriously just don't get it. To me, using fit as an excuse is just bogus, unless someone is legitimately a sociopath or completely unable to hold eye contact/speak properly in the interview. I have none of those issues and it seriously leads me to think that I just don't have enough people at the company pulling for me.

Making yourself LIKABLE during the interview which means the interview is more of a conversation instead of a standard type of interview. And that's when most interviewers will consider you a good fit since they like your personality

Doesn't mean the team will like your personality but since you got along well with the interviewers they are willing to take a chance you will get along with the team too

Old 12-03-2012, 10:04 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,871,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBENEDICT View Post
I know what you mean.... Look at me.. 37 years old.. I've had past success in previous positions.. served 8 years in the Army...

I've been taking college classes, to try to better myself (was even contemplating switching my degree program over, because I didn't want to take the class Speech Communications.. but I got over it and accomplished that).. thinking it would make me more rounded and develop my communication skills more...

It really gets old..

but of course.. I keep plugging along... I have a phone screen today, and another face-to-face interview on Wednesday

Make the interview on wednesday conversational and you will see how things flow nicely

Old 12-03-2012, 07:31 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,603,971 times
and people have to have volunteering listed on their resume, job application just to get hired for a McDonalds job

Old 12-03-2012, 08:07 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,083,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBENEDICT View Post

It really gets old..

Have you been taking 3 hours for career skills classes or just the 12-15 hours/week for the college classes?

Old 12-03-2012, 10:59 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,475,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
and people have to have volunteering listed on their resume, job application just to get hired for a McDonalds job
No they don't, they just need past work experience. People on this board usually recommend having volunteer experience if a person lacks work experience, which is good advice. However, if someone has work experience, they don't need volunteer experience to get hired at a place like McDonalds.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
No they don't, they just need past work experience. People on this board usually recommend having volunteer experience if a person lacks work experience, which is good advice. However, if someone has work experience, they don't need volunteer experience to get hired at a place like McDonalds.
why do you need past work experience just to get hired for a simple minimum-wage job like McDonalds or a Grocery store? jobs that pay 8 to 10 bucks an hour? why are they even called entry-level jobs? they shouldn't be called that anymore

Old 12-05-2012, 01:35 PM

why do you need past work, job experience just for a job that pays 8 to 10 bucks an hour? even a job such as washing dishes, bussing tables, etc?

Old 12-05-2012, 06:14 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,427,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
why do you need past work experience just to get hired for a simple minimum-wage job like McDonalds or a Grocery store? jobs that pay 8 to 10 bucks an hour? why are they even called entry-level jobs? they shouldn't be called that anymore
It's nothing more than a crude filtering mechanism by employers inundated with candidates. They will filter and filter until they can no longer discriminate, oops, I meant filter.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:37 PM

97 posts, read 265,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Make the interview on wednesday conversational and you will see how things flow nicely
Interview went very well. First thing, I took a different approach that I hope pays off. (based on mistakes I've been making)..

In previous interviews, I'll (99% of the time), ramble on about what I did.. what my responsibilities were.. etc... I always stumbled at the "tell me about yourself" questions" and end up going into a long song & dance about my life story..

I realize this is not getting me the job; the economy today is about cutting costs, improving efficiency, and improving the bottom line. Just as in my resume, I have key accomplishments listed.. I needed to sell what I bring to the organization and what improvements I could make.. what I could innovate... what costs I could reduce.. etc...

I made it a point of every time it was my turn to speak, I made it about an accomplishment.. a result from taking action... or something similar... based on the question asked..

When I got asked the "tell me about yourself".. I had previously brushed up on my "30 second to 1 minute" commercial and I thought I really nailed this compared to how I previously answered this question..

The interviewee (network services manager) on multiple occasions mentioned that he liked what he was hearing, etc... This was definitely a positive vibe.. as I usually do not get this type of feedback on previous interviews...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search