Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2012, 08:52 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,016 times

Advertisements

At the minimum, do a spell check. I saw a linkedin profile from a woman that had(edit) 20+ years experience, but their profile said "Seeking an Accounting prostition with fun and exciting company". Is this accountant or a poor spelling 40 yr old prostitute that's looking for some fun and excitement on a social network?

I can have 20 years experience in MS Word and Excel listed on my resume. It still looks silly, if I am unable to do a spell check in MS Word.

Last edited by move4ward; 09-16-2012 at 09:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 09:20 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
At the minimum, do a spell check. I saw a linkedin profile from a woman that 20+ years experience, but their profile said "Seeking an Accounting prostition with fun and exciting company". Is this accountant or a poor spelling 40 yr old prostitute that's looking for some fun and excitement on a social network?

I can have 20 years experience in MS Word and Excel listed on my resume. It still looks silly, if I am unable to do a spell check in MS Word.
Sounds like a dating profile since the words FUN and EXCITING were used.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:00 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksy23 View Post
Same thing happened to my cousin. She had three rounds of interviews, which makes it all the more frustrating. Nothing worse than coming in as the runner-up and walking away empty-handed.
I know a guy who keeps coming in second for jobs. He's been getting interviews but he's now been the also-ran four times. I feel bad for him.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:01 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
At the minimum, do a spell check. I saw a linkedin profile from a woman that had(edit) 20+ years experience, but their profile said "Seeking an Accounting prostition with fun and exciting company". Is this accountant or a poor spelling 40 yr old prostitute that's looking for some fun and excitement on a social network?

Or proofread.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:46 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,773,776 times
Quote:

Couldn't agree more. I'd toss that woman's resume in the trash bin. Typos communicate laziness and a lack of attention to detail.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:59 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,739,473 times
Has it ever occurred to you guys that people make mistakes? I'm sure you've made typos before.

Now tossing a resume/cover letter because its incoherent is one thing, but tossing it because a person made a typo is petty.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:15 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
I have to say that no resume should ever have a spelling error. You definitely have to proofread

Old 09-17-2012, 08:15 AM

934 posts, read 1,938,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Now tossing a resume/cover letter because its incoherent is one thing, but tossing it because a person can't be bothered to press the 'spellcheck' on Microsoft Word is petty.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:16 AM

934 posts, read 1,938,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I have to say that no resume should ever have a spelling error. You definitely have to proofread
...and hand it to at least one other person to read for mistakes as well. It's only prudent.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:06 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,044,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Has it ever occurred to you guys that people make mistakes? I'm sure you've made typos before.

Now tossing a resume/cover letter because its incoherent is one thing, but tossing it because a person made a typo is petty.
Exactly!! A resume from an otherwise qualified candidate should not be tossed due to a single spelling error. It's reasonable to treat it as a negative if you are trying to decide between one or more otherwise equally qualified candidates. But it's ridiculous to toss the resume without even considering that applicant. It could cause an employer to lose out on a good employee who just made a minor mistake. The employers on this board don't understand that! They want employees who have the right "personality", never make any mistakes that humans make, are athletic, tall, good looking, drive expensive cars, wear expensive clothes, get their car professionally detailed several times a week, and are willing to work 90 hours per week for the equivalent of $2 per hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search