Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 07:46 AM

200 posts, read 505,142 times

Advertisements

I've been putting out feeler applications since I have reached my one year anniversary doing the same job I've been doing with my current company. I'm not in any hurry to leave, I'm just out applying and interviewing to see if I could get a sweeter deal somewhere else.

I feel like with my current skill sets and the fact that I'm already gainfully employed, I'm the one that should be pursued and not the other way around. Therefore, I haven't been doing follow ups or thank you letters after interviews or checking up on applications.

What do the rest of you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 08:00 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinHenderson View Post
I feel like with my current skill sets and the fact that I'm already gainfully employed, I'm the one that should be pursued and not the other way around. Therefore, I haven't been doing follow ups or thank you letters after interviews or checking up on applications.

I don't think such a laissez-faire attitude will get you very far and if you can't be bothered to do follow-ups or write a simple thank you letter after an interview then why even bother with applications? You're a retail store manager making less than $20/hour not a six figure corporate CEO with a long and successful employment history so why on earth you should think you should be pursued is fanciful at best. If you're serious about looking for something better then be serious about it. Otherwise you're just wasting time.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:40 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I don't think such a laissez-faire attitude will get you very far and if you can't be bothered to do follow-ups or write a simple thank you letter after an interview then why even bother with applications? You're a retail store manager making less than $20/hour not a six figure corporate CEO with a long and successful employment history so why on earth you should think you should be pursued is fanciful at best. If you're serious about looking for something better then be serious about it. Otherwise you're just wasting time.
^^^^^This. Your wasting both your time and theirs.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:49 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Exactly, and the OP is a retail store manager? They're a dime a dozen. Not exactly some unique skill set that is going to be "pursued" in this economy.

Either make an effort to look for a new job or don't bother, as you're just wasting your time.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Exactly, and the OP is a retail store manager? They're a dime a dozen. Not exactly some unique skill set that is going to be "pursued" in this economy.

Either make an effort to look for a new job or don't bother, as you're just wasting your time.
I'm not a dime a dozen. It's hard to find store managers like me that can get you 20 to 30% gains in a high volume store. The company I'm with right now would struggle to replace me with someone that could obtain 8 or 9 % gains at best.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:41 AM

I think I should add that my current approach did get me an offer from a company that offered me an older bonus plan than what they were not offering their current store managers to try and entice me over. While it was however, more than what I am currently making, it did not reach the threshold I wanted to get me to jump ship.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:48 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
You asked for an opinion of your current strategy and were given it. Obviously you don't care for the responses and choose instead to explain once again your over-inflated opinion of yourself and demonstrate on the strength of one job offer that your strategy works. Ergo, why you even asked the question is rather baffling. Good luck.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:09 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
I'm not a dime a dozen. It's hard to find store managers like me that can get you 20 to 30% gains in a high volume store. The company I'm with right now would struggle to replace me with someone that could obtain 8 or 9 % gains at best.
Yeah, that makes a big difference.

It wouldn't hurt to follow up on the applications and send thank you letters. When you do follow up, you should also reiterate to them what you told us.

While retail store managers are a dime a dozen, retail store managers that are able to produce gains as high as yours are not.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:43 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
I've been putting out feeler applications since I have reached my one year anniversary doing the same job I've been doing with my current company. I'm not in any hurry to leave, I'm just out applying and interviewing to see if I could get a sweeter deal somewhere else.

I agree with the other posters. if you are looking, Act as if you didn't have current employment and apply the same things. Show them you want to work for them and sell your skills. Make what you have done count.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:21 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
Quote:

That you won't get a new job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search