Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 11:33 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,393,736 times

Advertisements

I still want someone to explain to me how they KNOW a job post is fake.

-is it fake if they don't get a call about it? (This seems to be a prevalent view as apparently no call means the job is fake not the company is not interested)
-is it fake if the position closes/is defunded? Well, no, it was "real" when it was put up. Things change. If a position has been open for months and not filled, doesn't it make sense to take a look at how the company is operating without someone in that position and decide if the funds that were going to go to that position can now be used elsewhere? Apparently though, when a job is posted and then changed, that makes it fake.
-is it fake if the position is filled while interviews are still scheduled? No. Just means they liked person number 9 and you were number 12. Not fake, just not still open.
-is it fake if the job isn't pulled down when interviews start. No, not fake then either, as why would you pull down a job until you are SURE you have the person you are going to hire in the interview pool? But, apparently, if interviews are happening and a job is posted, it is fake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 12:01 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post

-is it fake if they don't get a call about it? (This seems to be a prevalent view as apparently no call means the job is fake not the company is not interested)
-is it fake if the position closes/is defunded? Well, no, it was "real" when it was put up. Things change. If a position has been open for months and not filled, doesn't it make sense to take a look at how the company is operating without someone in that position and decide if the funds that were going to go to that position can now be used elsewhere? Apparently though, when a job is posted and then changed, that makes it fake.
-is it fake if the position is filled while interviews are still scheduled? No. Just means they liked person number 9 and you were number 12. Not fake, just not still open.
-is it fake if the job isn't pulled down when interviews start. No, not fake then either, as why would you pull down a job until you are SURE you have the person you are going to hire in the interview pool? But, apparently, if interviews are happening and a job is posted, it is fake.
Simple. If you already know people who work at the target company and you get insider information about the posting(s), then you might know to some degree, if a particular job posting is "fake" or not.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:04 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
Fake Job Postings Dot Popular Job Boards - WSJ.com

Old 09-09-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
But this is NOT how someone knows. All the people coming on here and whining that the posts are fake so they are not applying, have no way of KNOWING that something is fake. They are just taking the reports that they are out there and using it as a justification/excuse

Old 09-09-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
But this is NOT how someone knows. All the people coming on here and whining that the posts are fake so they are not applying, have no way of KNOWING that something is fake. They are just taking the reports that they are out there and using it as a justification/excuse
All it takes is a little common sense for one to spot a fake job ad.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
All it takes is a little common sense for one to spot a fake job ad.
And a little more common sense applied to the situation allows that same person to spot a real ad.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:14 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
About a year ago, when the economy was even worse, I was purchasing glasses from a national optical chain.

They had a help wanted poster, professionally done, listing all the benefits and other details.

I mentioned this poster to the lady helping me. She told me there were no positions open and they were not allowed to take the sign down.

She further stated she felt bad since some applicants show up all dressed up to apply/interview, and they are sent away.

She didn't explain further but I thought it was to give the impression of success, especially in the bad economy.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
And a little more common sense applied to the situation allows that same person to spot a real ad.
Agreed.

But the point is, fake job ads DO exists amongst the real job ads and people who know what to look for can spot them.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Agreed.

But the point is, fake job ads DO exists amongst the real job ads and people who know what to look for can spot them.
Never said they didn't. My point was, a LOT of people seem to be taking the excuse "job boards are full of fake ads" as a way to justify cutting out a very useful source for job leads in a job hunt. And they seem to be SO positive that every ad out there is fake...so I wanted to know, is there some sort of magic button on their computer that is not on mine that blinks "warning" when they encounter a fake ad?

The answer is no, there is not. They have decided because one ad is fake, they all are and complain about the horrible state of job boards rather than looking for the real jobs.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Never said they didn't. My point was, a LOT of people seem to be taking the excuse "job boards are full of fake ads" as a way to justify cutting out a very useful source for job leads in a job hunt. And they seem to be SO positive that every ad out there is fake...so I wanted to know, is there some sort of magic button on their computer that is not on mine that blinks "warning" when they encounter a fake ad?

The answer is no, there is not. They have decided because one ad is fake, they all are and complain about the horrible state of job boards rather than looking for the real jobs.
The OP's post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I have been reading some of the posts in this section about keep running across comments about fake job postings.

I must be missing something. Why are companies advertising fake jobs postings? Why are they going through fake interview processes without any intention of hiring anyone? Is it just to keep a pool of potential qualified applicants on file, or is it something else? Inquiring minds.........
The OP didn't say anything about every job on a board being fake. The OP merely asked a very good question, why do people post fake job ads (which has been proven they do).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search