Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 12:38 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
do you think there's a possibility of mistaken identity here? if what you say is true, it's doubtful that someone who's already given you glowing reviews multiple times would do such an about-turn. it's possible that when asked, they had you confused with someone else who really did suck at their job, hence the negative reviews?
That's just what I was wondering. I think, if you can face it, you should try and talk with him and make sure he wasn't confusing you with someone else and if he wasn't, perhaps try to find out why he would suddenly say these things about you. If it's a personal issue then don't use him again as a reference.

We all make plans that don't work out and sometimes life just doesn't turn out the way we hoped, but you shouldn't be punished for that. I'm sure you geniunely wanted to live and work in CA but now that things have done a 180º, well, stuff happens. If he thinks you weren't honest with him or you change your mind too easily you need to explain exactly what happened and why. He could just be making assumptions about you that aren't based in fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 01:01 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
So the OP takes a temp position, doesn't get along with her coworkers, leaves earlier than she agreed to and feeds the priest a sob story about wanting to move back home (cross-country). Up until this point, he's prolly willing to give her the benefit of the doubt---or at least a recommendation b/c now she becomes someone else's problem. THEN she decides Cali's not for her and wants to come back. I completely understand why he wouldn't want her back. She reneged on her word, can't get along with coworkers and is indecisive. Not a mystery to me.
It still doesn't explain his writing a glowing recommendation and handing it to her to give to prospective employers in the future. I was an employer for many, many years and VERY rarely wrote such an unsolicited letter "to whom it may concern" but did a couple of times for a true standout. I wouldn't hesitate to give a glowing reference (if approached and if justified) at some future time by a prospective employer and also knew enough to give the standard, "XXX worked here from XX to XX" response. But actually handing someone an "in perpetuity" letter is a rarity.

On the other hand, my last two employers (5 and 10 years respectively) wrote me glowing "to whom it may concern" letters in case I needed them for any reason. There was no question that they'd give me a glowing reference through "normal channels" but they opted to go one unsolicited step way further than that.

This particular situation is and remains a mystery to me.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:31 PM

8 posts, read 8,912 times
I got the call last Monday night (9/10) from the supervisor, who told me he could no longer regard me as the top candidate because of what these priests said, and they were considering someone else. When I sent him copies of the references from them, he only emailed back to thank me for them, and said, "God bless." Great comfort, that! I did email the priest in question after I thought about it for several days, and told him how it all made me feel, how shocked and disappointed I was, and that I no longer revered him highly. That was on Thursday. Nothing. I don't expect to, either.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:33 PM

That's not at all what happened but thanks for your input. The priest supported my desire to leave early, it wasn't because of the bullies; this was an ongoing feud that found me in the middle, and the priest even apologized to me for it. The bullies was an already existing problem, I just mentioned that their behavior made me feel a little less happy than I should.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:37 PM

No mistaken identity here; I saw him right after I finished with the interview on the same day; he acted thrilled to see me, almost as if he wanted to hug me; I extended my hand, he grabbed it and squeezed it, and smiled his biggest, broadest smile right in my face. I was absolutely not a trouble-maker at this position but that's not to say there wasn't already trouble there.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:19 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
I agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Whether it was a Catholic university or a corporation, you were a temp who didn't finish out the assignment you were hired for. You then moved back to CA, and then things didn't work out in CA you moved back to MD.

You did not finish the assignment for which you were hired. This is easy to ignore when writing a reference for a former employee, as you are able to think of the good. However, when you are looking at bringing this person back, well, this is not so easy to ignore. It is a perspective thing...you are good enough for someone else but not good enough to go back to them. I think that, while they differ greatly, both references are truthful.

You also didn't get along with coworkers when you were in the temporary position. When you're a temp you go in, keep your head down and don't make any waves, and you finish out the assignment. That is if you want to be considered for a full time position.

Being a temp is like being on constant probation...you do not get to act like a permanent employee.

The priest was being kind and wrote you a glowing letter, because he figured he wouldn't be crossing paths with you again.

I think this is the most likely scenario.

Clearly they don't want you back at the university, you can't go in as a temp and cause problems and expect them to hire you full time for another position.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:24 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
If it is that important to you, you can always ask for a meeting with the university's rector.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:18 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeSee View Post
That's not at all what happened but thanks for your input. The priest supported my desire to leave early, it wasn't because of the bullies; this was an ongoing feud that found me in the middle, and the priest even apologized to me for it. The bullies was an already existing problem, I just mentioned that their behavior made me feel a little less happy than I should.
It doesn't matter, you were a TEMP. You don't have conflicts with coworkers....period.

The priest felt bad for you and figured you were off to CA for good, so to help you out he pretty much lied about your work ethic.

Never expecting to see you back in MD and at their place of employment.

Move on and look elsewhere. They don't want you working there again.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:21 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I agree with you.

"Being a temp is like being on constant probation...you do not get to act like a permanent employee."

Exactly. You don't have conflicts with other employees, nor do you not finish assignments.

You do that, don't expect to get hired for a full time job.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:14 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
I must admit, it is funny how priests are supposed to be moral and honest folks walking in the foot steps of the lord and spreading his good word yet they're some of the dirtiest and fastest backstabbers out here (see the thread about the choir director who was let go simply because they didn't tithe).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search