U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2012, 10:21 AM

101 posts, read 158,501 times

Advertisements

I have two different resumes that I send out based on the types of jobs I'm applying for to get into my dream field of professional sports. While I would ideally like to be in a media relations/PR role, I've also read over and over that ticket sales is the best way to break in. I have experience in both areas, but it's the sales/customer service version of my resume that is troubling me more.

I had trouble the first couple years I was out of college. I wanted to stay at jobs and gain stability, but lost them for some reason or the other. It's not like I wanted to just up and quit all the time even though things weren't always rosy. But I ended up out of work a lot anyway, and now, even though these jobs are becoming more and more in the distant past and I've been at my current job for two years (my bosses like my motivation to grow in the company and have no problems with my job performance), I can't overcome my earlier short-term jobs.

Here's what my resume looks like when I apply for sales/other customer service jobs:

Job A: This was my first job out of college. I was laid off with about 40 other people because the company had low revenue. Some people were called back to work; others were not. The HR person who fired me said this had nothing to do with my performance; it was just random. This position was four years ago, and I was there for 5.5 months.

Job B: I found this job about three weeks after the first layoff. The employer claimed to let me go for "performance," but I don't agree with them. I had trouble with one task, and I was largely ignored while the other girl who held the same job title got most of the work. I started there in 2008, but was let go in 2009, so three years have already passed. I was there for seven months.

Job C: This was a seasonal retail job. Everyone was let go/laid off after Christmas because the store is only open during the holiday season. If I wanted to work there again, I would be eligible for re-hire.

Job D: This is my present job, and though it's in media and not a sales role, I put it on there to show I am currently working.

I admit I'm lacking experience in the sports business, and I am thinking of getting an internship to remedy this because some teams will accept interns who are out of school. But for outside of the industry and the real jobs within it (I am applying outside the field as well because I know it may never materialize), I am just not getting calls back, and I'm almost sure my lack of stability has something to do with it. I know I can't lie about the dates I was at the short-term jobs, so is there something else I can do? I had a job in food service during college, AKA Job E, that I was at for three out of four years of school, so that shows stability, but at the same time, I feel like that wouldn't help my case anymore.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 10:40 AM

24,671 posts, read 63,082,990 times
You're not unsolicitedly giving out all this information about your previous jobs on your resumé, are you? All you need on a resumé is previous employers and dates of employment. If a prospective employer is interested in details they'll ask you if you're called in for an interview. I'm a little confused.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:52 AM

101 posts, read 158,501 times
No I'm only putting the company name, job description and dates. I'm not explaining why I left the jobs.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:12 AM

24,671 posts, read 63,082,990 times
I think you're placing too much credence to the thought that your lack of job stability is holding you back from getting interviews. In order to clarify on your resumé you might add in parentheses after Job A, "company downsized"; after Job B, "unsuitable fit"; after Job C, "seasonal employment". For someone right out of college this isn't a terrible record by any stretch and your lack of success in finding another job right now probably has more to do with the economy and the huge number of unemployed more than anything else.

The job you have now may not be exactly what you're looking for but stick with it, do the best job you can do and just keep plugging away with the applications. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search