Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 07:55 PM

213 posts, read 1,107,372 times

Advertisements

I know this is a rather broad question, but I just wondered how it has been for anyone that is unemployed that is currently looking for a job....how has it been lately in trying to find work?

This question is also for those that currenlty have a job, but are constantly looking for a new/better job than the one you currently have. How has your "new" job search been going? Getting interviews? Job offers?

I just wonder because here we are in the last part of 2012 and soon to be 2013...are things getting any better for anyone out there?

Personally, I am currently employed. I have been employed with my current company for almost one year, but I am now beginning to look around for a new job...due to my current job being incredibly boring, not much room to advance/move up, not learning any new skills to add to my resume really. I want to eventually find a new/better job within the next 6 months or so. Can it be done? It sure doesn't feel like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 07:57 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Yes.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Yes.
Yes as it is hard to find a new job? Can you tell me a little about how it has been for you or what your situation is? Thanks.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:09 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Depends on a lot of factors, although you seem to acknowledge that. Field/sector, experience level, location... These seem to be the big ones. I guess another would be what's your price.

I have not really had any problems. Kinda thankful for that. I keep hearing it's rough out there.

If you're looking for a better job, it's easier to "trade up" if you're already employed. You're crap on the wall as far as employers are concerned once you get that dreaded "gap". I went in for an interview about 4 months ago (on my lunch break from other job) and the interview lasted about 3 minutes. "You have a job? Cool, welcome aboard." Might be a good time to plan an escape if you're looking to do so.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:11 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
If people tell you yes, would it prevent you from looking for another job? If what others say does not change your mind, then I would not worry about it.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
If people tell you yes, would it prevent you from looking for another job? If what others say does not change your mind, then I would not worry about it.
No, people telling me yes would not prevent me from looking at all. I just wanted to get a feel for how finding work these days is for the average person. That's all. I know in general that it is tough, but just wanted to ask anyway.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Depends on a lot of factors, although you seem to acknowledge that. Field/sector, experience level, location... These seem to be the big ones. I guess another would be what's your price.

I have not really had any problems. Kinda thankful for that. I keep hearing it's rough out there.

If you're looking for a better job, it's easier to "trade up" if you're already employed. You're crap on the wall as far as employers are concerned once you get that dreaded "gap". I went in for an interview about 4 months ago (on my lunch break from other job) and the interview lasted about 3 minutes. "You have a job? Cool, welcome aboard." Might be a good time to plan an escape if you're looking to do so.
I am absolutely planning an escape route, but I know it's not going to be easy at all. I just pray I don't get trapped here for years on end. I will most likely lose my sanity.

I wish it were that easy as far as having a job and that is all some places are looking for in a job candidate. I know getting hired on at most places these days is way more complicated/complex than that.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:45 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
With 8 % documented unemployment, and with many people not even looking because they have given up, and many working part-time or at jobs they are way over-qualified for ---- yes I would say it is extremely difficult to find a new job these days.

This last weekend, on CNN Jobs in America special report they estimated the real unemployment rate at somewhere around 15 %.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:22 PM

63 posts, read 122,521 times
Looking for work now and although I've had steady, full time employment for the past 10 years I keep getting comments about my work history. Due to relocations for my husband's job I quit my FT job in Chicago that I'd been at for 5 years...we lived in FL for 2 years, during which I worked at a charity PT for 6 months before getting a FT job in Miami until this summer - when we moved again for DH's work to Houston. Instead of feeling confident I worry now that all the moving has hurt me professionally. Of course, it could just be that employers are a little picky - like the one who bragged how they were hiring 50 people a day, yet put me through three badly organized, freeform "interviews" with unprepared staff members for over 4 hours total only to be left hanging with no reply. Or the temp job that involved taking verbal abuse and harassment from sales staff while the branch manager threw a regulation football around the office to keep everyone "on their toes." I have a graduate degree, impeccable references and 20 years of experience, and it's looking grim so far in Boom Town.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:32 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,314 times
The only way to truly know is to get out there and look. I would be very careful because if you do change jobs you will be the lowest on the totem pole and there are going to be more layoffs, you would be more than likely the first to go. Small companies further will be hurt with Obamacare, the current policies and coming taxmaggedon so I would be careful taking that into consideration. I don't know what your whole situation is but I would take everything into consideration and think very carefully. Just a thought.

Last edited by eRayP; 09-26-2012 at 08:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search