Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 11:51 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Wow, suddenly there was a shift in the mood of this thread, from anti, to pro.

Were the pros afraid to speak up at first, or did they change their opinion after post #16?
No relationship, I didn't even read the whole thread when I responded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 02:53 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Sure makes sense. But if you read the posts, esp. Bunny's you will clearly see why I would be reluctant to tell you anything personal knowing that you may secretly discriminate against me based on what I said. There was a segment on 60 minutes recently about how dirty HR really is. A former HR manager, now whistleblower said she would walk Women back to their car to see if they had a car seat in it and that was a black mark because they would be out more often with kid issues or if she could glean they were starting to show their pregnancy they were done. I just can't believe how gullable some are on this forum.
Perhaps there is a difference in the types and levels of positions that people are discussing, and what would be appropriate for those types of interviews. From my perspective for the positions that I am filling, if someone approached the interview with as defensive an attitude as you describe, I think it would show through and almost certainly result in me passing on that candidate.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:04 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I interview many candidates for my company. I start most interviews with a simple question: "Help me get to know you as person and not just a resume. Tell me a little about yourself, but don't refer to anything that I've already read on your resume." I am often shocked at how ill prepared some people are to talk about themselves - that should be a subject every candidate knows a lot about. But I often get candidates who ask me back "what would you like to know?" or who practically freeze at the notion of describing something about themselves. I'm not looking for any type of answer, I just want to (a) legitimately learn something about this person, (b) gauge their personality a bit, and (c) see how relaxed and self-confident they are. If, as a candidate, your are so stiff and nervous that you can barely introduce yourself in an informal way, you'll lose my interest quickly.

So I begin to tell you some hobbies, such as hiking or rock climbing. Wow, this guy is an liability. He might go on vacation, get hurt, and then be unable to work. Maybe I begin by telling HR about my love of travel. Oh, this guy needs too much time off, and won't be a good little slave.

I guess I should just say I like knitting and reading. Or, in my free time I like reading [insert industry specific journals].

Bottom line is applicants do not trust HR, and do not want to disclose any personal information, as it is unknown how it will be used. You may not use the information in that way, but another person will.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:16 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
Bottom line is applicants do not trust HR
Yep.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
Bottom line is applicants do not trust HR
Odd things is, I've never had "HR" involved in any interview process I've been involved in.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:13 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Quote:
Odd things is, I've never had "HR" involved in any interview process I've been involved in.
We can play semantics all day long, but we both know why you ask those questions.

1. You have some level of interest in getting to know the candidate.
2. You want to know as much dirt about me as possible to figure out if I am going to raise your group insurance rates, will need more time off if I have kids, and will I fit into your clique.

It is really a game and some us have honed our skills better than others.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:36 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Same with me, I didn't meet HR until after I was already hired

Old 09-30-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
We can play semantics all day long, but we both know why you ask those questions.
I ask those questions because you are going to work directly for me as part of my team. How you fit with the team matters as much as your skills and experience.

I'm sorry your hiring experiences have been so negative and have generated this defensiveness within you. Sadly, from my perspective, clamming up in response to any questions about who you are is an almost guaranteed way not to get the job.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:58 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
I ask those questions because you are going to work directly for me as part of my team. How you fit with the team matters as much as your skills and experience.

I'm sorry your hiring experiences have been so negative and have generated this defensiveness within you. Sadly, from my perspective, clamming up in response to any questions about who you are is an almost guaranteed way not to get the job.

Some people lose sight of the fact that they are supposed to sell their character along with their experience and skills at a interview.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:05 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
If the applicant feels he/she was not hired because of volunteering that statement and it does not require work on Sunday the EEOC would still be looking into it. I'm not saying they will win a law suit, but it is still an issue you would have to deal with.
Actually, no the EEOC would NOT look into it. Read up a little on those laws...the information is protected ONLY if it is sought by the company. If the information is volunteered, the EEOC will tell the person doing the complaining to have a nice day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search