Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 01:10 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Some people lose sight of the fact that they are supposed to sell their character along with their experience and skills at a interview.
Correct.

And, those employees get angry when they feel the company doesn't care about them as people...but they don't want to tell anyone at the company anything about themselves....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 03:20 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I ask those questions because you are going to work directly for me as part of my team. How you fit with the team matters as much as your skills and experience.

I'm sorry your hiring experiences have been so negative and have generated this defensiveness within you. Sadly, from my perspective, clamming up in response to any questions about who you are is an almost guaranteed way not to get the job.
No problem. I don't clam up, remember I am in sales, and can act on call when need be. I am smart and quick learner. I picked up some great ideas since coming back to CD on how to game hiring managers and HR alike. You didn't see my post where I stated most of things I post on here, I would never say at work. I just post specfics info in the hopes it can help someone avoid the negative experiences I have seen and hear first hand.

Frankly I think, in spite of my profession, I am one of the more "honest" posters on this forum. I tell it like it is not like people want to believe. The truth is the majority of us are viewed as nothing more than business units by our employers. If you fit their little niche and will work for the lowest pay out of the pool of candidates you get the job. Otherwise, they could care less about you. They will pretend to care, because they are acting too. It's nothing more than a game and that's ok as long as you know the rules.

It's synonmous to people in America asking "How are you doing" They don't care they are just being customary for our culture.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:24 AM

128 posts, read 267,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post
However, if you maybe start the small talk before the interview, in a conversational manner, it may be better received.
Bingo. I think that is a great idea. Small talk is important to get a feel for who the applicant is, presuming the person who gets the job will have to interact with anything remotely human. But it has its place. 2 minutes at the beginning of the interview is perfect.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:33 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
I haven't read all the responses to this post but as an interviewee I have no problem making small talk during an interview whether it's at the start, middle or end. I just figure they're trying to find out if I have a personality and can carry a conversation. If someone asks me about the weather, I really don't care - I'm English, we can talk about the weather ad nauseum. Now if that was the only topic of conversation and we didn't discuss my experience and skills at all, I would find that weird and probably assume the interviewer really didn't want to be there. But in many fields it's important to be personable and at least be able to chat with people for a few minutes. How would you like to lose a job offer because they found you cold, monosyllabic, impatient or just plain dull?

Old 10-01-2012, 02:54 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Oh, but to the paranoid set, your interest in and ability to converse about the weather only indicates that you are interested in things outdoors, so you'd probably want time off to be outdoors, so HR is going to nix your application ...

Old 10-01-2012, 06:19 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I haven't read all the responses to this post but as an interviewee I have no problem making small talk during an interview whether it's at the start, middle or end. I just figure they're trying to find out if I have a personality and can carry a conversation. If someone asks me about the weather, I really don't care - I'm English, we can talk about the weather ad nauseum. Now if that was the only topic of conversation and we didn't discuss my experience and skills at all, I would find that weird and probably assume the interviewer really didn't want to be there. But in many fields it's important to be personable and at least be able to chat with people for a few minutes. How would you like to lose a job offer because they found you cold, monosyllabic, impatient or just plain dull?
I saw a show where a guy was actually hired only because of the small talk. He made the interviewer laugh and never discussed his past experiences or skills and was offered the job.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:23 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Oh, but to the paranoid set, your interest in and ability to converse about the weather only indicates that you are interested in things outdoors, so you'd probably want time off to be outdoors, so HR is going to nix your application ...
I assume you're referring to me.

No, I'm not an outdoor person. I'm a big city person. I'm the type that likes to go to the museum, dinner and a movie.

However, I am amazed by the beauty of weather. I love to discuss why certain weather events are happening. I don't care if Al Roker said it would rain and it didn't. I want to discuss the physics and logic behind his forecast and why it didn't verify.

I also don't like getting into conversations that I know won't get very far. If it's a subject I'm not familiar with or a subject I know you're not interested in discussing, I avoid the small talk. Otherwise, the whole situation just ends up becoming awkward.

I also want to avoid discussing things you may use against me when making a decision on who to hire. Just stick to the facts.

I'm sorry if you think that makes me "paranoid."

Old 10-01-2012, 06:36 PM

715 posts, read 1,073,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I saw a show where a guy was actually hired only because of the small talk. He made the interviewer laugh and never discussed his past experiences or skills and was offered the job.
I know a couple of people who are really good at this. They never hold a job for too long, but are really good at talking their way into a job, especially with their opposite sex.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:52 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I also want to avoid discussing things you may use against me when making a decision on who to hire. Just stick to the facts.
Perhaps every interview should start with a Miranda-like warning: "Everything you say can and will be used against you."

I understand your concern, as you're right that how you handle any question - even the small talk - is going to form the basis for the interviewer's assessment of you. I don't, however, agree that HR/interviewers are routinely using small talk and introductory questions to present "gotchas" so they can avoid hiring certain people.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:49 PM

994 posts, read 1,592,561 times
I like to make small talk with the manager since it helps 'break the ice' sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search