Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 06:50 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times

Advertisements

Catholic priests don't lose job opportunities, due to a criminal background check or history of molesting children. They get move to different locations all the time. That's one profession that doesn't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 10:06 PM

570 posts, read 1,001,507 times
Speaking of background checks, I have seen some jobs where the person applying has to pay for their own background investigation. What's the deal with that?

Old 10-14-2012, 01:26 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
my boyfriend has horrible credit (less than 600) and he just got a job for which they had to do a credit check. i guess they take it into consideration combined with the criminal history

i totally understand doing credit checks for any position for which you'd have access to your employer or client's assets. other jobs not so much, but credit checking doesn't seem to be that common
There was a job that I applied too. I didn't think much of it until I actually saw on my cresit report that the employer looked at my credit history. I didn't really give them permission to do so.

You won't know unless you check your credit report.
What's even more weird is that too many inquiries on your report brings down your score.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:14 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
There was a job that I applied too. I didn't think much of it until I actually saw on my cresit report that the employer looked at my credit history. I didn't really give them permission to do so.

You won't know unless you check your credit report.
What's even more weird is that too many inquiries on your report brings down your score.
I know at one of my former employer's they looked at your overall bad credit and they had a dollar threshold. So if you had a bunch of charge offs or derogatory credit say exceeding 15k then you would NOT be hired.

But if it were less and not recent then you would be.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:08 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,106 times
GEICO does credit pulls. I remember when I was much younger, I went through three interview steps successfully - then they came back and said I was dropped due to the credit check. ONLY the credit check.

It was then that I decided I would never apply for companies who continued that practice unless it was understood - finance, for example.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:58 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swbrotha100 View Post
Speaking of background checks, I have seen some jobs where the person applying has to pay for their own background investigation. What's the deal with that?
the deal is that you probably shouldn't apply haha

sounds like either a shady or broke company...neither of which you shoud work for

Old 10-15-2012, 10:06 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Unless the candidate is handling money, what's the need to run a credit check?

Anyway, some of the reasons why our candidates don't get hired:

1. Failed drug test

2. Not a degree holder and stated was a degree holder.

3. Misrepresentation of position(s) held.

4. Dates of employment/experience level.

5. Felony convictions.

The funny thing about this?

All of these things can be verified by the time the investigator has her 2nd cup of coffee this morning.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:10 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
A friend of my husband's was denied a great job because on his credit history there was a debt he'd never seen. Some medical bill. He fought a huge battle with the hospital who put the charge on there because 1- he never was treated for whatever the bills were for, and 2- he was never even notified about the debt before it was put in the system. AND the bill is huge, over 10 grand.

I know he eventually had it taken off because he recently bought a house, but he missed out on a great job because of that.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:00 PM

644 posts, read 1,144,948 times
I don't think a credit check should be an indication of anything, even jobs handling money. There's people with A+ credit who have stole money and broke the law. Since when was a person with bad credit something that should be treated as a criminal act? Last time I checkedmost people have messed up credit, but that's supposed to tell me that person is dishonest and will still? That's absolutely asnine to me. Many people got into debt trouble because they fell on hard times and their health declined. I know that's how it was for me. I got very sick with an illness when I was unemployed and I wasn't able to pay my medical bills...does that make me a terrible person? You can't always control everything.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:17 PM

676 posts, read 1,261,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey13 View Post
I have been unable to complete the application process because I refused to allow a credit check. Not that my credit is bad, I just don't agree with it. There are several reasons:

1) I am not applying for credit.
2) My credit report has personal information on it, such as account numbers, property I own... that is none of their business, risky for identity theft, and has nothing to do with how well I can perform a job.
3) People who are struggling financially (thus likely to have bad credit) should not be barred employment on the grounds that they are struggling financially. What the hell is THAT going to solve? Kinda like the old adage "In order to get a loan, you have to prove that you don't really need one."
4) Credit reports don't tell the whole story. The series of late mortgage payments doesn't contain a footnote about the sick child's unexpected medical bills, or the funeral and burial expenses that the applicant took on. An applicant shouldn't have to reveal these kinds of things to a complete stranger in order to get a job.

I think it also favors the "upper class"...

Thankfully, I was not in a huge rush to find a job at the time, as I was already employed but looking to make a move... so I was able to hopefully make a tiny little stand against it.

I agree, unless the person is going to be handling money, it's irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search