Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 08:05 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,622,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Not at all. It seems like you are doing the right thing. Keep it up!
Thank you! Yeah, I'm looking for a 2nd job because I work PT now. My goal is to move out of Pennsylvania - I want a 2nd job to save and gain experience. Also, to pay off my school loan. My school loan is only $5000... so it shouldn't take a long time. I graduated college last year, so I think some more experience will help for my long term goal. I make sure I pay everything on time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 08:22 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
About 10 years ago I rescinded a job offer because an applicant had really bad credit. The job opening she had applied for paid about $45k, her current position paid $60k, and she was behind on all of her bills.

I talked to her and asked how she was going to be able to make it on a 25% pay cut, when she seemed to be having difficulty at the higher rate of pay. She had no plan. I felt that it would be unwise to provide a person in that kind of financial situation even more money stress and keys to the business.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:54 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
I don't see the issue here. I just ordered the book because I want to read about it. It sounds fascinating and I want to learn about their assessment of these studies.

Most (like 99%) academic studies are not available free online. The only ones that the general public hear about are the ones that the media writes about. Even if he was to provide you a link, you would most likely have to pay for it on Ebscohost or another service. Don't get me started on this!... it's the only reason I pay the outrageous pricing for the ACM publishings section.

It seems like you're trying very hard not to educate yourself on the topic. How about you drop the excuses?
The excuses? I have access to ebscohost, but reality is saying that something is in a book, despite people that make millions saying those studies do not exist is not trying to avoid education, it is simply stating if you have proof provide it.

You choose to read the book that is fine, but I have plenty of books to read and have spent most of my adult life dealing with credit, and have studied the use of credit reports for employment. Saying something is in a book is not proof, an actual quote and a link to a source would be actual proof. But if you nor he can provide that proof than I guess we have nothing to discuss, as I provided a quote from 1 of the companies, and there are links in the article I linked that show plenty of studies that no correlation has been found between bad credit and employee issues.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:57 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
There are a lot of variables that go into the background and credit checks. Some managers/HR departments will have strict codes, if you don't meet a specific threshold you will not be hired. Some will see the entire package and determine if you only have a minor mistake it will not affect your responsibilities. Things that point to red flags immediately to HR and any HM are felonies (and sometimes unjustly so). A felony conviction can end any chance you have immediately even if everything else is solid: degrees, prior work history, accomplishments, references, etc. Not to say your chances are over, but it will take time to achieve where you once were.

Other large red flags are when convictions or accidents resulting in injuries (to yourself or others) happens on the job. A misdemeanor received on ones personal time is usually not a done deal, again it all depends on the offense.

Credit, this is also tricky. As was stated before. It's not so much to stop someone with bad credit coming to work for you, it's a mental picture of how that person will function outside the job with finances. If this person has bad credit already and they come to work for X amount of dollars will they be able to dig themselves out of debt? In some instances the conclusion is no. A credit score doesn't change overnight (usually - bankruptcy is a large red flag) and will usually show over time how that person pays or doesn't pay on time. If there are a few red boxes showing late payment I doubt that would be the end for you, but if it is a history showing multiple red boxes for failure to pay or late payment then you will not be viewed as a responsible person through financial history and it could mean not being hired.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:25 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,986 times
Here is some more information on 2 different studies showing that bad credit does not equal a bad employee.

Quote:
But a 2011 study in the Journal of Applied Psychology found no link between a person’s credit score and what it called “deviant” behavior like workplace theft. (It did, however, find a correlation between a low credit score and an agreeable personality.)
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/12/bu...pagewanted=all

Now a 2012 study.

Quote:
In this study the authors investigated the criterion validity of job applicant credit
report history in predicting subsequent performance appraisal ratings and termina-
tion decisions for 178 employees at a large financial services corporation. Predictors
extracted from applicant credit reports, such as number of times late with pay-
ments, had no relationship with either performance appraisal ratings or termination
decisions. The authors therefore recommend caution in using credit report data for
making selection decisions
http://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/fea...r-15-2-106.pdf

So for those of you telling others to get educated, or those posting links to books that make no mention of credit or the affects of someone's personal credit on employement, I have now posted 3 links by 3 different groups plus a quote from a spokesman for 1 of the credit reporting agency all showing who needs the education, and it does not appear to be me, since you cannot provide a single study or even a quote.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:05 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
There are a lot of variables that go into the background and credit checks. Some managers/HR departments will have strict codes, if you don't meet a specific threshold you will not be hired. Some will see the entire package and determine if you only have a minor mistake it will not affect your responsibilities. Things that point to red flags immediately to HR and any HM are felonies (and sometimes unjustly so). A felony conviction can end any chance you have immediately even if everything else is solid: degrees, prior work history, accomplishments, references, etc. Not to say your chances are over, but it will take time to achieve where you once were.

Other large red flags are when convictions or accidents resulting in injuries (to yourself or others) happens on the job. A misdemeanor received on ones personal time is usually not a done deal, again it all depends on the offense.

Credit, this is also tricky. As was stated before. It's not so much to stop someone with bad credit coming to work for you, it's a mental picture of how that person will function outside the job with finances. If this person has bad credit already and they come to work for X amount of dollars will they be able to dig themselves out of debt? In some instances the conclusion is no. A credit score doesn't change overnight (usually - bankruptcy is a large red flag) and will usually show over time how that person pays or doesn't pay on time. If there are a few red boxes showing late payment I doubt that would be the end for you, but if it is a history showing multiple red boxes for failure to pay or late payment then you will not be viewed as a responsible person through financial history and it could mean not being hired.
None of these credit examples are how a potential employee will conduct him or herself on the job. As for bankruptcies being a red flag, not true. Don't believe me? Go ask Donald Trump. He filed for bankruptcy several years ago and no one ever labelled him a red flag or treated him as a pariah. Its only the poor and middle classes that get looked down on for filing. The irony of this is the companies that have these hiring policies more than likely have corporate officers embezzling from the company. All in all these hiring policies are just another slap across the face of unemployed yet hard working people by the corporate filth that orchestrated the recession this country still is mired in.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:30 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I have a credit score in the 800s, but I do have school loans. I pay the loans on time - would that be held against me?

Sorry. I hope you found a job since 12 years ago. Question, though. I don't drive; I don't have a driver's license for some medical and personal reasons. I apply for jobs that don't require a DL. I have reliable transit. I have a job already, though PT, and looking for a 2nd. I have held two jobs at once before - I was and am a good worker and always early. If a job doesn't specify a DL, would not having one be held against you in those types of jobs?
I didn't read the responses in this thread befor I posted my experiences.

In general, for the vast majority of jobs I don't think credit scores should been known to an employer, there are many errors on credit reports(this is a fact).

So yeah I think the government needs to intervene in this.

Your credit score is fantastic and wouldn't hurt you.

Yes, I was employed after that experience.

I really can't answer you last question.

Certainly in my mind I can imagine employers holding it against you for various reasons, but does this happen to you in reality? I don't know, but it is possible that it's held against you.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:29 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,622,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I didn't read the responses in this thread befor I posted my experiences.

In general, for the vast majority of jobs I don't think credit scores should been known to an employer, there are many errors on credit reports(this is a fact).

So yeah I think the government needs to intervene in this.

Your credit score is fantastic and wouldn't hurt you.

Yes, I was employed after that experience.

I really can't answer you last question.

Certainly in my mind I can imagine employers holding it against you for various reasons, but does this happen to you in reality? I don't know, but it is possible that it's held against you.
Yeah. I mean I held two jobs before - one I'm still employed in after 8.5 years. I'm looking for another part time position to pay for a move. I look for jobs that don't have the DL requirement... but lately things haven't provided fruitful. It's frustrating because I see other non-drivers employed in awesome jobs and I am wondering how they managed.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:07 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
None of these credit examples are how a potential employee will conduct him or herself on the job. As for bankruptcies being a red flag, not true. Don't believe me? Go ask Donald Trump. He filed for bankruptcy several years ago and no one ever labelled him a red flag or treated him as a pariah. Its only the poor and middle classes that get looked down on for filing. The irony of this is the companies that have these hiring policies more than likely have corporate officers embezzling from the company. All in all these hiring policies are just another slap across the face of unemployed yet hard working people by the corporate filth that orchestrated the recession this country still is mired in.
When you own a company or work for yourself you will be able to get away with more. When you want to work for someone else you will be put under a microscope.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:03 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
When you own a company or work for yourself you will be able to get away with more. When you want to work for someone else you will be put under a microscope.
I know. Its time that someone put the corporate criminals and their bribe taking political cronies under a microscope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search