Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2012, 10:29 AM

215 posts, read 1,534,004 times

Advertisements

Anybody ever lost a job or didn't get a job because of background check or credit check? Tell your story?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 12:58 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,764,116 times
I know quite a few in the DC area who have lost or didn't get a job because of security clearances and/or suitability screening. These are more involved than the average background/credit check, though some people don't get too far in the process because of bad credit/delinquent debts and/or a criminal past.

Go read DOHA decisions and you'll see what I mean. www.dod.mil/dodgc/doha/industrial/

Old 10-09-2012, 03:08 PM

644 posts, read 1,145,149 times
I didn't get a Manager-In-Training job because of my credit background. I passed everything else, EXCEPT that.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:22 PM

715 posts, read 1,073,681 times
I'm going through mine now - just submitted fingerprints today - so I will have to let you know.

I was screened before being hired by my employer, but now since passing my fed/state tests, I have to go through an FBI level criminal background check and the state does its own checks as well. I've never been arrested/convicted of anything and the credit has been good in recent years, but I'm being screened for the past 10 years and there were issues further back in that time. I have to believe I wouldn't have been hired since the employer saw my credit history already, but again, I'll have to let you know.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:26 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times
I didn't get a job at Choicepoint due to bad credit, but they went belly up a few hears later anyway. Pretty much dodged a bullet there. There successor company Lexus Nexus is a train wreck. Knew a lot of people who quit from there and who are miserable.

Didn't get granted an interview at a non profit credit consolidation org. But those guys weren't paying the money I needed anyway. I only entertained it because I was out of work.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:52 PM

43 posts, read 152,314 times
I have been unable to complete the application process because I refused to allow a credit check. Not that my credit is bad, I just don't agree with it. There are several reasons:

1) I am not applying for credit.
2) My credit report has personal information on it, such as account numbers, property I own... that is none of their business, risky for identity theft, and has nothing to do with how well I can perform a job.
3) People who are struggling financially (thus likely to have bad credit) should not be barred employment on the grounds that they are struggling financially. What the hell is THAT going to solve? Kinda like the old adage "In order to get a loan, you have to prove that you don't really need one."
4) Credit reports don't tell the whole story. The series of late mortgage payments doesn't contain a footnote about the sick child's unexpected medical bills, or the funeral and burial expenses that the applicant took on. An applicant shouldn't have to reveal these kinds of things to a complete stranger in order to get a job.

I think it also favors the "upper class"...

Thankfully, I was not in a huge rush to find a job at the time, as I was already employed but looking to make a move... so I was able to hopefully make a tiny little stand against it.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:43 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey13 View Post
I have been unable to complete the application process because I refused to allow a credit check. Not that my credit is bad, I just don't agree with it. There are several reasons:

1) I am not applying for credit.
2) My credit report has personal information on it, such as account numbers, property I own... that is none of their business, risky for identity theft, and has nothing to do with how well I can perform a job.
3) People who are struggling financially (thus likely to have bad credit) should not be barred employment on the grounds that they are struggling financially. What the hell is THAT going to solve? Kinda like the old adage "In order to get a loan, you have to prove that you don't really need one."
4) Credit reports don't tell the whole story. The series of late mortgage payments doesn't contain a footnote about the sick child's unexpected medical bills, or the funeral and burial expenses that the applicant took on. An applicant shouldn't have to reveal these kinds of things to a complete stranger in order to get a job.

I think it also favors the "upper class"...

Thankfully, I was not in a huge rush to find a job at the time, as I was already employed but looking to make a move... so I was able to hopefully make a tiny little stand against it.
Had to rep you again.
Nurses are getting credit checks now too.
What does good credit have to do with taking care of a sick person?
Luckily,some states are barred from looking at your credit history.
I completely understand criminal and backround checks,but credit checks?

Old 10-13-2012, 02:21 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,995 times
I saw a posting for TSA agents where applicants would be disqualified if they has more than $7500 of credit defaults.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:31 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times
my boyfriend has horrible credit (less than 600) and he just got a job for which they had to do a credit check. i guess they take it into consideration combined with the criminal history

i totally understand doing credit checks for any position for which you'd have access to your employer or client's assets. other jobs not so much, but credit checking doesn't seem to be that common

Old 10-13-2012, 04:20 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Had to rep you again.
Nurses are getting credit checks now too.
What does good credit have to do with taking care of a sick person?
Luckily,some states are barred from looking at your credit history.
I completely understand criminal and backround checks,but credit checks?
Just another way to get people to buy into the system of banking/credit, i.e., the Federal Reserve.
A way to control people.
That's all it is, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search