Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where did you find your last job?
Career Fairs 1 1.61%
Internet -- Indeed, Linkedin, Careerbuilder, Craigslist, etc 43 69.35%
Networking -- It's who you know. 12 19.35%
Walk in -- You just dropped in and asked. 6 9.68%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 06:36 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times

Advertisements

I got my job through CareerBuilder or Dice. I can't even remember but those are the only two places my resume is. Recruiter called me, ask if I was interested. I was, and the account manager called me and forwarded my resume to the hiring manager. Had a phone interview a few days later, pretty much got a call an hour later saying he wanted to bring me on. Couldnt meet my boss in person due to him being in Seattle and I was in Atlanta. Later found out that there were no more cubicle assignments in Atlanta or Dallas, so I would have to move to Seattle and work. I worked the first month sharing a cubicle in Atlanta, and started I started in Seattle in July.

About any job I've gotten in my field has been through internet and recruiters calling me. I've been in IT for 13 years. The only IT job I never got via internet was my first job in 1999
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 06:58 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Which is why I never applied to jobs on a company website. You are the third person to say you applied online but it was the network who got you the job.
Nonsense. You've said many times on many threads that one of the reasons you hate to apply online is because it just takes you too long and you simply give up on the whole process. Seriously, you're a "professional" Job/Employment Counselor who's been unemployed for 10 months now and whose UC is coming to an end in the next few months - so how has your "networking" worked out?

Of course networking is crucial and nobody has ever disputed that but to say that, "you are the third person ... the network who (sic) got you the job" is totally ludicrous. Third person out of how many on this thread? You need to find a new career path as all your vast experience in the field hasn't done much for you in the last year and hardly lends to your credibility.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:01 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,672,411 times
Results will be skewed since the sample you're testing will overwhelmingly favor one option.
It's similar to going to a job fair and finding that 10/11 people found their last job at a job fair.
I'm just saying.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:03 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
Results will be skewed since the sample you're testing will overwhelmingly favor one option.
It's similar to going to a job fair and finding that 10/11 people found their last job at a job fair.
I'm just saying.
Not to mention the sample size is far too small at this point to be meaningful.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:06 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Not true it was both. I applied online they looked me up on linkedin and saw all the people I knew called to confirm I had said experience and hired.
I believe that;s what I said, you applied and your network is what helped you get called in for a interview.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:36 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I believe that;s what I said, you applied and your network is what helped you get called in for a interview.
And I'll question again - how has that worked out for you? By all accounts not too well thus far.

My problem with you is that you simply give bad advice to the unemployed when you're allegedly a professional job counselor. By your own admission you worked for not for profit, state-funded agencies helping ex-cons and otherwise "disestablished" unfortunates trying to find employment. You've never been in management, have never worked in a corporate environment. State funding has resulted in cuts to the not for profit organizations with whom you've been employed. You've been laid off via these cuts in the last two years. You've been collecting UC for 10 months now and every big "new strategy" you've been touting since Day One which was guaranteed to have you fully employed by "next month" has come to nought.

You have a history of not taking advice from anyone on any subject but, hypothetically, if you asked for advice from someone on any subject, wouldn't you research that person's credentials/double check their advice before accepting their word?

Old 10-11-2012, 12:24 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
I'm the walk in vote. You have to remeber that I only had 2 jobs in my life and the internet wasn't this when I graduated high school. First job was kinda arranged by my pops with someone he knew that hired me for the summer and while at that job I was servicing my current employers needs. I was there to make a drop off and in the process overheard two people attempting to communicate in a foreign language that neither was proficient in. Lucky I knew the main languages enough to translate and that led to the manager thanking me and talking to me about things, and that led to a job offer. I'm still there.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:15 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
I was head-hunted via my LinkedIn profile.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:27 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Headhunter. So none of the choices.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:58 AM

753 posts, read 1,482,611 times
The company's website
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search