Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 01:43 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,354,805 times

Advertisements

Ahh. I just got a call for a phone interview with a company and unfortunately I answered the phone. I told them I could interview right now. The only problem was that I had applied to so many jobs that I didn't remember anything about the company or position. She asked me what I knew about the company and I said that I was sorry because I didn't have time to prepare and research them and I told her to tell me about them. Did I screw up? In that situation would you have just told them to call you later even if you were available then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 02:20 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,738,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Ahh. I just got a call for a phone interview with a company and unfortunately I answered the phone. I told them I could interview right now. The only problem was that I had applied to so many jobs that I didn't remember anything about the company or position. She asked me what I knew about the company and I said that I was sorry because I didn't have time to prepare and research them and I told her to tell me about them. Did I screw up? In that situation would you have just told them to call you later even if you were available then?
You royally screwed up.

What I do to handle that type of situation is I either tell them they simply called me at a inconvenient and can we speak later, or I briefly research every company I'm interested in before I send in my application (to make sure they're legit).

Old 10-12-2012, 02:20 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times
That's tough because I am in your shoes. A phone interview is generally scheduled, but alas I get recruiters calling me all the time saying I just need 15 min to get to know you. With the latter you better answer because they are spread so thin you may never get them back online. With a phone interview I would never do one on the fly. The next time that comes up say something like" I would love to unfortunately I have a doctor's appt in 10 min" and keep it at that. I say doctor because people know how damn long you have to wait to get in and see them so they should understand your need to reschedule. When you use that excuse immediately offer to reschedule when it's convenient for them. That way they don't feel disrespected. Also think about why they want to do this to possibly catch you unprepared and give an "honest" answer to which my DQ you.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:44 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,354,805 times
I also wasn't expecting them to ask me what I knew about their company for some reason.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:50 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times
Quote:
I also wasn't expecting them to ask me what I knew about their company for some reason.
Live and learn, do your best, it's all you can do. Now you are better prepared for next time.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:58 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
Quote:

Were you at home? If you weren't you say you're not able to talk at this time and ask them for a time that works for them to call you back. Apologize and say you're in line at a store and can we reschedule and be open to whatever time they suggest.

You should keep a folder with a copy of your cover letters, the job descriptions, and some info on the company to use as a reference.

This way you can quickly reference who you are talking to.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:29 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
You sure didn't do yourself any favors. If you are going to interview on the fly, at least say something like, "I'm sorry, I had a bad connection. Can you tell me your name and company name again please?

Old 10-12-2012, 04:01 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,011,671 times
They just called you out of the blue? That's totally unprofessional! They should have told you who they were, where they were from, and ask to schedule a time, they don't know if you are busy or something. I would have said I am sorry but I am in the middle of volunteering for such and such and if they could please email me with an interview time I'd make sure to do it then.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:08 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,381,008 times
Always try to schedule phone interviews so you can prepare.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:17 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,738,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
They just called you out of the blue? That's totally unprofessional! They should have told you who they were, where they were from, and ask to schedule a time, they don't know if you are busy or something. I would have said I am sorry but I am in the middle of volunteering for such and such and if they could please email me with an interview time I'd make sure to do it then.
I imagine this is how the conversation went...

Quote:
(OP answers telephone)'

*OP: Hello!

*Interviewer: Hello, may I please speak with (OP)?

*OP: Speaking!

*Interviewer: Good afternoon (OP)! My name is (Interviewer) and I'm calling from (company's name). I'm calling in regards to the application you submitted for the (position in question) opening. Would it be ok if I have 15-30 minutes of your time for a phone interview?

*OP: Sure!

*Interviewer: Great! So why don't you tell me you know about our company?

*OP: Ummm... I was sorry but I failed to do any research on your company. Do you mind telling me a little bit about the company yourself?

*Interviewer (annoyed): Ummm...Sure! (proceeds to tell OP about company
)
At that point, the interviewer is probably thinking the OP isn't very interested in the job if they seemingly didn't bother to do any research on the company they're applying at and has just about ruled them out as a candidate.

Instead, this is how the conversation should have gone...

Quote:

(OP answers telephone)'

*OP: Hello!

*Interviewer: Hello, may I please speak with (OP)?

*OP: Speaking!

*Interviewer: Good afternoon (OP)! My name is (Interviewer) and I'm calling from (company's name). I'm calling in regards to the application you submitted for the (position in question) opening. Would it be ok if I have 15-30 minutes of your time for a phone interview?

*OP: I would love to have a phone interview with you. But right now I'm out and about running a few errands. Could we possibly arrange for a better time to have this phone interview, or is there a number I can reach you at?

*Interviewer: Sure! When would be a good time for me to call you back?

(OP gives new time and ends call, then has a chance to research the company)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search