Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 10:00 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,140,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I guess I was raised differently. I am not saying this to be rude but I think that pretty much sums it up. I was always told that when you interview for a job you should always look your very best and not assume that the job you are interviewing for don't care. I have honestly never heard of such thing. You learn something new everyday.
Uhh, I wore a suit to my bigger interviews, including the job and internship I currently have. Why ? Because it was actual positions with actual salaries and actual responsibilities. I seem to be doing alright even though I was 'raised differently'.

I've never seen anyone wear a suit (men or women) to a retail job interview, unless they were going for store manager.

By the way, when you say, 'not to be rude', chances are, it will be rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 11:00 PM

6,922 posts, read 6,983,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
You should wear what you think they expect you to look like while on the job. It gives them the picture they need to see.. If you wore a suit to a low pay low skill job they would think something was wrong with you...You never want to wear anything that isn't neutral in the interview . The interview is 100% about you in every way. Make your statement with your brain not a shoe shine...see my point? You want to get their attention but not with your cloths.
I would always wear a suit to an interview for a whtie collar job, regardless of what I would normally wear to that job. My current job has a very casual dress code (and I knew that before I interviewed), but I still wore a suit to the interview.

An uncomfortable situation can be if someone tells you not to wear a suit. If you do wear a suit, they might refuse to hire you, saying that you were unable to follow directions. If you do not wear a suit, someone who didn't realize you were told otherwise might refuse to hire you, thinking you were dressed inappropriately.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:31 PM

14,418 posts, read 22,367,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Uhh, I wore a suit to my bigger interviews, including the job and internship I currently have. Why ? Because it was actual positions with actual salaries and actual responsibilities. I seem to be doing alright even though I was 'raised differently'.

I've never seen anyone wear a suit (men or women) to a retail job interview, unless they were going for store manager.

By the way, when you say, 'not to be rude', chances are, it will be rude.
Im sorry i offended you then

Old 10-22-2012, 09:14 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,979,068 times
I work at a fortune 500 company. If you showed up to interview in anything else other than a suit, you will not be sitting in this office.

Yes, they will judge you on your dress like that, because frankly it says something about your professionalism. You have one chance to make a "first" impression. How will you make your impression when you interface with our customers?

Old 10-22-2012, 12:03 PM

128 posts, read 268,629 times
Whether it's for a corporate environment, or a job that would have me say "would you like fries with that," I always would wear a suit. Nothing screams of professionalism more than a nice suit with a solid color shirt and tie. Corporate, construction, manufacturing, retail, fast food, I don't care what industry its for...if you are a guy, you wear a suit, period. If you are a woman, you wear business attire that's like a suit. Dress pants/dress down to the knews, blazer, blouse that is is demure.

If you go into an interview with jeans and t-shirt, then you must not want the job.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:07 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
I refuse to wear suits to interviews. Their hot and uncomfortable. Some slacks, nice shoes and a good collar shirt or button down would do just fine.

Also it's a good way to stand out. Employers can tell one's personality from their attire.

The only thing I agree with is the no jeans part.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:31 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,630,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I refuse to wear suits to interviews. Their hot and uncomfortable. Some slacks, nice shoes and a good collar shirt or button down would do just fine.

Also it's a good way to stand out. Employers can tell one's personality from their attire.

You obviously have never had a properly fitting suit if you're hot and uncomfortable in one. All of my suits are relatively lightweight, very comfortable to wear, and look sharp whether it be in the office or a night on the town.

I agree that you'll stand out...but not in a positive way.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:37 PM

3,867 posts, read 6,772,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
The very large world known company my husband works for is currently hiring 10 people for a specialized position.
It is a office type job and the starting base salary is 50,000. The job is like i wrote specialized so there are not tons of people who are eligible to apply but the 10 positions still had a whopping 300 applicants. 30 out of those 300 got a call to come in for an interview. Today my husband tells me that he saw 2 people interviewing in jeans and t shirts. One of the hiring managers expressed his annoyance over this to the other hiring managers. Guess who will not get the job. I guess
They must not have wanted it. But considering the company is flying you to the interview from wherever you are in
The country due to your skills, how the hell do you ********** part up?
Personally i think you wear a suit to any job you interviewing for. Regardless.
You said it yourself, they didn't want the job. There is no reason I can think of besides that. I really don't think somebody can be THAT oblivious. Who knows though, the world can be surprising.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:38 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
You obviously have never had a properly fitting suit if you're hot and uncomfortable in one. All of my suits are relatively lightweight, very comfortable to wear, and look sharp whether it be in the office or a night on the town.

I agree that you'll stand out...but not in a positive way.
False. You're just another acandidate when you come in looking like everyone else. A suit is not what's going to get you your job.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:38 PM

3,867 posts, read 6,772,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post

Then I dont think your interviewing for the same positions the OP is talking about. If you ever got hired on for a corporate job without a suit in the interview, I would be surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search