Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 11:40 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Then I dont think your interviewing for the same positions the OP is talking about. If you ever got hired on for a corporate job without a suit in the interview, I would be surprised.
I guess I live in a world where not everyone thinks the same and yes I've interviewed for coprate companies in slacks and a nice shirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 11:41 AM

128 posts, read 269,656 times
I guess I should also add...

Whether it's the hottest day, or the coldest night...I will always wear a suit on an interview. As long as there is A/C for a hot day AND I was showered and wearing anti-perspirant (which really should go without saying...), then a suit won't bother me.

I don't even understand this...we as men, generally look good in a suit (depending on the cut of the cloth, of course.) Women find us hot. We tend not to slouch, even if we do, because we show this air of confidence whenever we wear a well-put-together suit. Wearing a suit to an interview just isn't one of those things that are optional...take it from someone currently employed (and well paid.)

Old 10-22-2012, 11:42 AM

3,922 posts, read 6,836,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I guess I live in a world where not everyone thinks the same and yes I've interviewed for coprate companies in slacks and a nice shirt.
The key is, did you get a corporate job by doing so? Of course, I could interview in the nude if I wanted.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:42 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
False. You're just another acandidate when you come in looking like everyone else. A suit is not what's going to get you your job.
But NOT wearing a suit can assure you'll be passed up for candidates that do.

I work for a Fortune 500 company and it's expected that you wear a suit. I've interviewed people who decided to wear shorts and a polo with sandals...threw that resume in the garbage can right after they left. Not wearing a suit to an interview is disrespectful and gives me the impression you either a) don't want the job or b) think you're overly qualified and don't need to wear a suit.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:54 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
aren't engineers known for being scruffy with wrinkled shirts?

a professor I had told us when he used to teach a class for engineering majors he would dress casual and jeans. When he switched over to teaching business majors he dressed business formal.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:57 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
We hired for various positions, and are amazed by the number of people who show up in jeans, or even shorts and flip flops.

It doesn't matter which position a candidate is interviewing for, if he doesn't have enough respect to show up in a suit he won't get the job.

Dress for success. We might be hiring for an entry level position today, but we promote from within so we are always thinking long term. Someone who shows up for an interview in casual clothes is not someone we will hire.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:07 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
aren't engineers known for being scruffy with wrinkled shirts?

a professor I had told us when he used to teach a class for engineering majors he would dress casual and jeans. When he switched over to teaching business majors he dressed business formal.
I think in some corporations, maybe Apple or something, software engineers probably fit this stereotype. In the defense corporation I work for, we deal with multi-billion dollar government contracts for aircraft and weapons systems; we have a different set of expectations than Google does.

Whenever we meet with clients, everyone is EXPECTED to wear a suit and tie; no shorts, slacks, or other non-professional attire allowed.

I've had the pleasure of meeting both former SOD Don Rumsfeld and Bob Gates as well as current SOD Leon Panetta in a professional capacity. Three completely different people but all very nice and very easy to talk to. You don't wear shorts and flip flops when meeting the SOD.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:00 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
All things being equal, I would hire the person that took the interview seriously enough to think about what he/she would wear.

It doesn't have to be a suit, and doesn't have to be expensive. It should be clean, ironed, and fit properly.

No cologne or perfume.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:04 PM

6 posts, read 13,439 times
So you would wear a suit to a Walmart interview that pays $8 per hour.... yeah... nice one.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:03 PM

3,922 posts, read 6,836,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
All things being equal, I would hire the person that took the interview seriously enough to think about what he/she would wear.

It doesn't have to be a suit, and doesn't have to be expensive. It should be clean, ironed, and fit properly.

No cologne or perfume.
No cologne or perfume? That is weird. I always wear some. Of course, I try not to be over barring with it though. I wear cologne to work sometimes. Is that a problem? I dont understand why you would see this as an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavno View Post
So you would wear a suit to a Walmart interview that pays $8 per hour.... yeah... nice one.
I think the OP is making it fairly clear that this is not a Walmart job. She mentions them flying her husband out for the interview. I also think most people can agree that a suit is not necessary for low end retail jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search