Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 01:13 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
if you are extremely specialized and offer something that no one else can, you can where whatever the hell you want to an interview.

but if you're interviewing for an analyst position in the financial industry? you better wear a nicely tailored suit that isn't black or pin-striped.

You know what, That is actually true. I am for suites 98% of the time. But there are those jobs where the company seeks out you and pretty much begging you to come and work for them. I guess in those cases you can be pretty liberal in your choice of clothes. My best friend's husband is a game programmer. He is one of the best there is. He was recruited from Sweden by a company here in The USA. I am nor sure what he wore to the interview though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 01:43 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pivot Point View Post
Not true. The outfit you wear at the interview should be at least a level or two more dressy than what you'd wear for the job.

If the job calls for dress shirt and tie, wear a suit and tie to the interview.

Generally, you never lose points for being a bit overdressed, but you do lose points for being a bit underdressed. And you lose a lot of points for being very underdressed. So, why lose points for something that's easy to prevent?
I don't know if it's a question of what's true or untrue. I can speak to my personal experience, and in that regard my last 3 interviews I've relied on the strategy that I suggested above, and got the job all three occasions.

Do what you think is best for yourself.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:50 PM

If the job is very iportamnt to you. If it is the job you are planning to retire with. Don't take any chances. Obviously enough people under dress and still gets the job which means that enough people really don't care that much, so the hiring managers don't have much of a choice.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:08 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,983 times
This is a very subjective thing and we could all sit here and discuss our own ideas on interview dress and our experiences, general rule of thumb I'd go with is no-one will 'not' hire you because you're dressed in a suit, even if you're woefully overdressed. That's not to say that a suit is appropriate or necessary in all occasions.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:30 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
Pretty much everywhere my husband has worked in IT. Nobody wears suits to interview. His last interview he wore a long sleeve shirt, slacks and a tie. That was about as dressy as it gets. I don't want to name companies but they include an international oil company and a telecommunications company that just took over another one.
I've worked in IT for 28 years. None of my jobs required suits at work, but at every job suits were expected for interviews. It shows you're serious, it shows you took the time to prepare for the interview, and it shows respect for the interviewer. It's as basic a requirement as showing up on time.

I interview people now, and I have for many years. I expect the candidate to come to the interview looking professional and that includes dressing appropriately, even though day to day we are business casual.

For IT, only if I was specifically told by the person making the appointment that I should not wear a suit would I ever consider not wearing one. While I understand this may not be the norm in some industries, for anything corporate office related, you're probably excluding yourself from consideration by not wearing a suit to an interview.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:33 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
I wouldn't know,but in nursing every job that I wore a scrub and lab coat to the interview,I got the job.
Every job I wore dressy clothes,I didn't.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:49 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
No cologne or perfume? That is weird. I always wear some. Of course, I try not to be over barring with it though. I wear cologne to work sometimes. Is that a problem? I dont understand why you would see this as an issue.
Many people have chemical sensitivities, or respiratory conditions such as asthma that could be triggered by perfumes. It could most certainly have a negative impact on your application if your interviewer does. Plus, a lot of corporations have a "green" which would include perfume (chemical)-free policy.

Strong perfume/cologne is a huge pet peeve of mine, especially in closed environments. I'm one of those people who are really sensitive to chemical smells. It causes a major headache, and I have at times, had momentary blackouts. I can not even walk through the perfume department, and I can't stay in a store full of potpourri. Others have worse symptoms that I, and even have throat constriction and trouble breathing. Why should we have to run a fan to blow away your "fumes"? Or why should we have to suffer because someone insists on wearing even a small amount of perfume. Bottom line, it's really inconsiderate and sometimes harmful, to wear cologne in an office setting.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I wouldn't know,but in nursing every job that I wore a scrub and lab coat to the interview,I got the job.
Every job I wore dressy clothes,I didn't.
But you already worked at that hospital?.and you probably did the inteterview between shifts or on your break. I bet you just did not have time to go home and change?
If you got a job offer at a completely different hospital or doctors office you wouldn't be dressing yourself in some old scrubs from your old job...i hope

Old 10-25-2012, 07:33 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
I've had some interesting interviews.

If they were planned, I would ALWAYS were a suit.

But since I am in a creative field there were times I did not even know i was being interviewed.

I once interviewed in an 4 man rowing shell. I was asked to join the crew for a social row. Little did I know one of my rowing partners placed the CEO of his company in the same boat. I got the job.

Other times I would show up for a new client meeting, usually at a local coffee house or diner. Always dressed nice, but sometimes in wearing shorts and sandals (I do live in California). Twice, I was offered a full time position.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:49 PM

156 posts, read 313,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I've had some interesting interviews.

If they were planned, I would ALWAYS were a suit.

But since I am in a creative field there were times I did not even know i was being interviewed.

I once interviewed in an 4 man rowing shell. I was asked to join the crew for a social row. Little did I know one of my rowing partners placed the CEO of his company in the same boat. I got the job.

Other times I would show up for a new client meeting, usually at a local coffee house or diner. Always dressed nice, but sometimes in wearing shorts and sandals (I do live in California). Twice, I was offered a full time position.
Creative interviews are awesome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search