Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2012, 08:34 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,321,755 times

Advertisements

So I work for a very solid company that is really hard to get into. I have had a couple friends who inquired about positions they saw open, helped them the best way I could, but they didn't get the job.

So today the Recruiting Manager comes to me and asks me about someone I know. I was totally surprised. He said that he put me down as a referral for a position he applied to. What irritates me is this person never told me that they were applying to the position and I haven't spoken to that person in almost over a year. You know what? Because they caught me off guard like that I didn't give a good referral which cost him that job. It even though i was angry it wasnt out of spite. Truth be told I wasn't going to lie and put in a good referral for him. Because quite frankly I don't know his job experience that well nor have I seen his resume.

So my advice. If you are applying for a job and are going to use a referral, make sure you contact that friend FIRST, have them take a look at your resume so they can give you inside scoop if the position is good or not or how you should tailor your resume and cv and THEN apply. Going behind your referrals back and catching them offguard is the perfect way to **** them off and not get the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 09:07 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,848,983 times
Totally agree!

Old 10-24-2012, 09:21 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,397,757 times
Such simple advice. Yet ignored the world over. I deal with recruiting and hiring. I have a 3 call rule. If I call your references 3 times, leave 3 messages and get nothing I am finished.

Call and tell people you are using them as a reference.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Such simple advice. Yet ignored the world over. I deal with recruiting and hiring. I have a 3 call rule. If I call your references 3 times, leave 3 messages and get nothing I am finished.

Call and tell people you are using them as a reference.
Sorry I think you misunderstood. It wasnt a reference check. It was a job that was open in my company that my friend applied for, and our hiring manager then came to me. Basically a refer a friend program only I didn't refer him...

Old 10-24-2012, 09:35 PM

But the idea is the same...if you are goingto look for a job and give someone's name to the potential employer...touch base witht he person first.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
But the idea is the same...if you are goingto look for a job and give someone's name to the potential employer...touch base witht he person first.
Oh I agree. I always do to. When I search for a new job I let my references know that might be contacted soon regarding my job search by recruiters/hiring managers. It's really sad to see the common sense that people lack. It's such a simple step that will make a world of a difference.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:55 PM

Pretty much. And I can tell that I have called people and they have had the same WTF moment you had...they pause and then say, REALLY cheerfully, "oh so and so, I remember him". Dead giveaway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search