Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2012, 05:08 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times

Advertisements

I'm being optimistic, but I have to plan for two job offers.

Job 1 - Interviewed already and expect to hear something this week. This is my second option because of pay and location.

Job 2 - Had a phone interview and expect an in person interview this week or next. I prefer this job.

SO what if Job 1 gives me an offer, but I want to wait to see what happens with job 2? What do people do in these situations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 05:40 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Accept the position and start in 2 weeks. It is very common. since many people have to give their prior employer 2 weeks notice to be eligible for rehire.

In the meantime, do NOT stop interviewing. Many people make a mistake, when they stop applying for new jobs. They assume that 1 or 2 good interviews will lead to a job. You could get more offers that are better. The first 2 job offers may not pan out. If the new offers are less desirable, then you can still accept one of the first two offers.

On my last job hunt, I had had a great interview with 1 company. They offered a small paycut, so I asked for a week to make a decision. I kept applying and kept setting up interviews for the next week. A 2nd offer was for a $12k raise. The 3rd offer was for a $20k raise. I called back the first company to reject the offer and accepted the last position and asked to start in 2 more weeks. I still kept applying for more jobs, but I did not get anything better.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Accept the position and start in 2 weeks. It is very common. since many people have to give their prior employer 2 weeks notice to be eligible for rehire.

In the meantime, do NOT stop interviewing. Many people make a mistake, when they stop applying for new jobs. They assume that 1 or 2 good interviews will lead to a job. You could get more offers that are better. The first 2 job offers may not pan out. If the new offers are less desirable, then you can still accept one of the first two offers.

On my last job hunt, I had had a great interview with 1 company. They offered a small paycut, so I asked for a week to make a decision. I kept applying and kept setting up interviews for the next week. A 2nd offer was for a $12k raise. The 3rd offer was for a $20k raise. I called back the first company to reject the offer and accepted the last position and asked to start in 2 more weeks. I still kept applying for more jobs, but I did not get anything better.
So are you saying to accept the job offer and then reascend the offer if I get a better one? That doesn't seem right to the employer.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:17 PM

When I was job hunting, I told the first company that I would think about it and that I had completed interviews with other companies. I wanted time to consider which job was the best fit. If you do not want to accept it, then ask for a week to decide.

Hey, if you get a $20k offer after accepting position, that's good. If you reject it, you may end up regretting it later. You are a better man than me.

Tazmonster had 2 job offers. You may want to ask them, what they did.

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...-two-jobs.html

I think you are the 3rd thread in the last 2 weeks with 2 job offers. It seems to be picking up in here.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:02 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
So are you saying to accept the job offer and then reascend the offer if I get a better one? That doesn't seem right to the employer.
It's perfectly fine to do that. It happens all the time.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:55 PM

Come to think about it. When I got hired, the previous candidates rescinded their offer to work for other places.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:43 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
I always tell when I am interviewing that I have multiple companies that are interested in me. This can be really helpful during the hiring process when you are negotiating.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:43 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Life isn't fair sometimes. Do what's best for you, because a company is going to have no problem cutting you if they have too.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Life isn't fair sometimes. Do what's best for you, because a company is going to have no problem cutting you if they have too.

Good point. Thanks.

But I also didn't know if it is more common to just ask for a week or so to make a decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search