Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 10:47 AM

410 posts, read 1,521,683 times

Advertisements

Serious question here. I am going to a shelter soon and know this makes matters even worse. I can't get hired anywhere. It's depressing. How do homeless find jobs so that they can stop being homeless? I would love to have a job and apartment by Christmas. That would be the best present for my son that I could imagine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 11:51 AM

21 posts, read 57,902 times
in the same boat, when you find some info msg me..

Old 11-02-2012, 11:55 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
I'd ask the people in the shelter and starting hitting the churches in the area and see what assistance they offer.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:59 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
It's like a ridiculous double-whammy. It's harder to find an apartment with no rent history and/or job history. It's hard to find a job without a place to live and job history. I agree with the other advice. I hope things turn around for you soon.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:06 PM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
Serious question here. I am going to a shelter soon and know this makes matters even worse. I can't get hired anywhere. It's depressing. How do homeless find jobs so that they can stop being homeless? I would love to have a job and apartment by Christmas. That would be the best present for my son that I could imagine.

What city/state are you in?
I can research online to see what's available for you.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:37 PM

244 posts, read 390,423 times
you can try places like the salvation army, they have job programs that could lead to bigger and better things.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:48 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post

Here in Philadelphia there are shelters that serve the homeless and help them gain job training, computer skills, and with job placement.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:56 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
nobody comes to your home when they are considering you for a job. So they will never know you are homeless.

What you need is 1) email 2) cell phone 3) address to put on the resume/application. this is the hardest part. You can use your old address if you still have mail forwarding(it usually lasts approx 1 year). Or you can get a PO Box that allows you to use a street address for incoming mail (UPS Store offers this.)

Use the library or job service for access to the internet for job searches.

Don't tell anyone on the interview that you are homeless. Ever.

The biggest thing that screams 'homeless' is if your clothing is dirty and if you are not showering and if your hair is uncut and you are scuffy. Wash your clothing and get your hair cut and shave if you are male. Clean shoes for the interview also.

See about getting a storage locker if you need a place to keep your clothing and such.

Cell phone: You can buy a Boost Mobile cell phone at Wal-Mart or any Boost Mobile Store. No contract required. You choose "pay by the minute" option. It is approx 10cents or 11 cents per minute. You can buy $10 in minutes at a time and it lasts for 90 days. If you renew another $10 before the 90 days is up, it keeps prior unused minutes and gives new expiration date 90 days into future.

Sign up for free email at yahoo or gmail. use this email for job hunting. Jobs with either call you or email you. Keep a pen/paper handy any time you answer the phone. It could be a job calling.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:01 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
nobody comes to your home when they are considering you for a job. So they will never know you are homeless.

What you need is 1) email 2) cell phone 3) address to put on the resume/application. this is the hardest part. You can use your old address if you still have mail forwarding(it usually lasts approx 1 year). Or you can get a PO Box that allows you to use a street address for incoming mail (UPS Store offers this.)

Use the library or job service for access to the internet for job searches.

Don't tell anyone on the interview that you are homeless. Ever.

The biggest thing that screams 'homeless' is if your clothing is dirty and if you are not showering and if your hair is uncut and you are scuffy. Wash your clothing and get your hair cut and shave if you are male. Clean shoes for the interview also.

See about getting a storage locker if you need a place to keep your clothing and such.

Cell phone: You can buy a Boost Mobile cell phone at Wal-Mart or any Boost Mobile Store. No contract required. You choose "pay by the minute" option. It is approx 10cents or 11 cents per minute. You can buy $10 in minutes at a time and it lasts for 90 days. If you renew another $10 before the 90 days is up, it keeps prior unused minutes and gives new expiration date 90 days into future.

Sign up for free email at yahoo or gmail. use this email for job hunting. Jobs with either call you or email you. Keep a pen/paper handy any time you answer the phone. It could be a job calling.

There are shelters who serve the homeless and help them with job training and job placement.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:44 PM

810 posts, read 1,763,155 times
Also your county may be able to assist you with some help. The Salvation Army/churches idea is another great idea.
I wish you the best of luck to you and your son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search