Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 03:15 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,042 times

Advertisements

Exit interview are only there for the benefit of the business you are leaving. Some employees will return to their former employer and there must be a record of their leaving for evaluation of the request to return. Thus the responses on an exit interview should be the same responses on an initial new job application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 04:59 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity123737 View Post
I think this the best way of dealing with it, there probably expecting me to start complaining - Don't give them the exact reason, leave them curious, irked, leave them with an knawing empty feeling.

Plus don't tell them where I am going -

The more I think about it a Exit Interview is just an exercise in Noseness to pry into your details - I wonder do you have to attend these things.

Why should you have to give any information to them, employers are secretive all the time, rarely give decent feedback, won't give you info about salaries then expect you spill our guts
An exit interview is for you to tip your hand about actionable things that could be your reason for leaving. The bottom line, you are leaving so what you think about making the department better no longer matters.

As for the part in your comment that I bolded: Why in the world do you think this will be how they feel? It doesn't sound like you loved the job...well, often when people do not love a job it is because the company culture did not work for them. It is possible they will be glad to see you leave. You complained in an earlier post about being unable to get ahold of the boss about resigning and having all this angst about what to do next...well, most of us would have just called the next person in charge. Done and done. The fact that you fretted so totally about something that did not seem suprising to others, well, maybe you and the office culture did not fit. It happens.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
It was funny telling him over phone I resign - I had to say to him I know one knew where he was, and wasn't sure when he was back in the office.

You can imagine going to his boss and asking where was because you need to speak to him urgently - and then being asked why, and saying you want to resign, then he comes back after the weekend and finds you have resigned, not nice.

Honestly its becoming a bit like Michael Scott and the office at work - except the difference is its not funny/friendly - just sheer incompetance and lack of management.
Yet you managed to contact him when you needed to. Sorry, but the more I read of this thread the less willing I am to totally blame the office. You seem determined to make issues out of non-issues, major events out of minor tings, and huge dramatic problems out of things easily solved. I am not sure the office was in usch disarray, merely that I did not work for your needs which, honestly, are coming across as someone who needs a person there watching his work at all times to feel secure.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
It was funny telling him over phone I resign - I had to say to him I know one knew where he was, and wasn't sure when he was back in the office.

You can imagine going to his boss and asking where was because you need to speak to him urgently - and then being asked why, and saying you want to resign, then he comes back after the weekend and finds you have resigned, not nice.

Honestly its becoming a bit like Michael Scott and the office at work - except the difference is its not funny/friendly - just sheer incompetance and lack of management.
Yet you managed to contact him when you needed to. Sorry, but the more I read of this thread the less willing I am to totally blame the office. You seem determined to make issues out of non-issues, major events out of minor tings, and huge dramatic problems out of things easily solved. I am not sure the office was in usch disarray, merely that I did not work for your needs which, honestly, are coming across as someone who needs a person there watching his work at all times to feel secure.

As for going to his boss and asking to speak to the manager, likely no big deal to anyone but you. Your boss's boss knew where your boss was...end of issue.

As for coming back from the weekend and finding out you resigned...1, I am sure the person you talked to told him. 2 I am guessing no one was all that worried. An employee resigned, it happens, move on to important things.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Thanks for pointing out that discrepancy, manderly.
Agreed.

The more of the thread I read, the more I am becoming certain that a portion of the "communication" issues in the office rest squarely with the OP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search