Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 07:28 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
No, I declined to make any comments during the exity interview. I did not feel obligated to help them improve the business and felt it wasn't worth the time to me. The company wanted me to fill out a questionare too but I left it blank.
Exactly why should we provide free consulting for you dysfunctional situation where you treated me badly. If you want to pay $50 an hour I would be happy to be objective about why the entire department is failing and why I am leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 07:57 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Have you ever told the truth -- the real down dirty, nitty gritty, no holding back truth -- at an exit interview?
Yep.

With the one exception of a job I was laid off from, the few companies I left were because I had an opportunity to move on to bigger and better things. Which is what I told them and the few exit interviews I have had have always been very pleasant.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:47 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,703,227 times
I suppose it depends on the circumstances surrounding your resignation. If its simply the case where I'm moving to a better opportunity but I otherwise liked the organization, I may offer words of advice or at least my take on how things can be improved. If its a situation like my current job which is rife with in your face politics, favoritism/ cronyism, and where the management treats people like office furniture, then hell no if I'm saying anything. It would take all of my willpower to avoid effing off certain people while waving my middle finger as I'm skipping down the road, so no I'm not telling them why the staff morale is low and everyones's looking to leave.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:24 AM

25 posts, read 56,725 times
Yes I've told the raw truth once. The place went out of business shortly after I left. I felt better "laying it out" about the major issues and watch the 12yo from HR listen in horror for two hours. Kinda felt bad she cried afterword but hey if you ask a loaded questions expect loaded answers. Too bad too the place had a cool service just run by mental midgets 2000 miles away.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:01 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,300,819 times
Default Don't bother

I once left a job, and after I gave my two weeks notice, I was asked to write a report about projects I had been working on that were still incomplete, and recommendations for future projects that should be done.

I spent a good deal of time on the report in good faith, thinking that since they asked me to do it, it was important to them. My report was completely neutral in tone.

I checked with my replacement several months later and she told me she had never seen my report, nor had anyone discussed it with her, nor had the completion of projects not already fully funded get support to finish them. It was a complete waste of time.

I agree with all the other posters, don't bother to tell them what is wrong, or why you are actually leaving, it will make no difference. It could actually hurt your job prospects. Although most companies will not officially release any more information than your salary, dates of employment, and positions at their organization, that doesn't preclude someone in HR spilling the beans on what they really think, or what you really said, in a phone call conversation where there is no record.

Finally, if you are in an industry that is basically a relatively small community, you may end up working at the same place again, no matter how remote that may seem at the time, (I've done this twice) or you may end up working in a company to which one or more of the HR employees at your last company now work.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:08 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
Yes, I told a job that I felt there was a lot of favoritism at the job and I was tired of being skipped over for promotions. They tried to convince me to stay. I left still.

Funny thing was that month, 2 other people quit, and said the same thing, and it was investigated by HR. As far as I know nothing came of it though.

I don't think that burned bridges, I felt I was being honest, and my old boss to this day still likes me. In fact asked him to be a reference for a new job, he told me he would do it no problem

Old 11-14-2012, 11:10 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Hell, no.

What's in it for me beyond the chances to burn bridges?

Although I will forever admire the ex-colleague who laid it on efficiently enough that the HR person left the interview in tears. (I don't much like HR people...)

Old 11-14-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
They tried to convince me to stay. I left still.
Might I ask how they tried to convince you?

Old 11-14-2012, 11:40 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
They told me 2 positions were coming up, that I WAS going to get it, that one was mine, that my boss didn't want me to go, etc. I said I wanted it in writing, they said "oh we can't do that" and at this point I'd already accepted an amazing job in another state, and had the new apartment rented, my husband had quit his job, etc. There was NO going back at that point.

I honestly hated all the politics and drama and think I'd have been miserable if I stayed. I didn't want to be like the people there just counting down until they retired.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
They told me 2 positions were coming up, that I WAS going to get it, that one was mine, that my boss didn't want me to go, etc. I said I wanted it in writing, they said "oh we can't do that" and at this point I'd already accepted an amazing job in another state, and had the new apartment rented, my husband had quit his job, etc. There was NO going back at that point.
I see....even without the other factors, just their refusal to put it in writing would have sent off all kinds of sirens in my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search