Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 06:56 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times

Advertisements

Not wanting to hijack another thread on a related topic....

Have you ever told the truth -- the real down dirty, nitty gritty, no holding back truth -- at an exit interview?

If so, what did you say....

And...... what was the manager's reaction!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 09:35 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Not a formal exit interview, but I once left a couple of weeks after a lousy performance review. After I turned in my notice my manager asked "This didn't have anything to do with the performance review, did it?", to which my answer was "Well, it didn't help!".

Old 11-11-2012, 02:47 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Not really.

My former employer (major defense contractor with all the ethics of the Mob and all the management talent of a pile of drunken baboons) decided back in 2010 to lay off the "expensive" and "old" people who weren't connected to those in power. So, I lost my job after 9 raises in 10 years (far more than the 6 in 10 average), half a dozen major performance awards, half a dozen invention awards, etc. Meanwhile, idiots like the guy who I sat next to for 8 years who: came in 2 hours late each day, took a 2 hour lunch, and refused to do his job, answer his emails, or even pick up his phone or go to meetings stayed employed.

I asked the bimbo at the exit interview why this was. Why was I, a person who was given a nice performance raise in March, being laid off 3 months later for no reason? And why were people who were well know all over the company to be useless protected from their actions and sheltered from the layoff. She said, "I don't know."

Well, of course she didn't know - I didn't expect any real answer from her - and the real answer, if she had known or been allowed to speak truthfully, was that the place was run by criminally inept nitwits. But she couldn't say that.

Long story short, it's not worth the effort to tell them the truth. At larger companies, the exit interviewer doesn't even know you, any useful feedback you give will never make it back to people who matter, and dysfunctional companies never change.

I eventually found another job after 2+ years of hell, while my former employer is busy arranging their 4th major layoff of engineers and other workers in 2.5 years. There's no hope for that place. It'll have to collapse, be sold off, and rebuilt.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:10 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,360,705 times
I once had a job where I was trained by a woman who had no business training people. She would show me how to perform some task on he rcomputer a few times to see if I got it. I asked if I could do it a couple times to get the hang of it and she refused to let me, saying she didn't think I was allowed to use someone else's computer. This went on for a week, sitting there watching her work, bored out of my skull. Had I started on my own then, I'd have been completely lost.

The next week, I sat with someone else (who had been on vacation the previous week) and she showed me everything all over and let me do it on her computer and I caught on right away.

After, I was trained, my desk was right next to hers and she was a a complete *****, one of those who acts as if they are the only ones who do any work. She was off for a couple days and I found out she wasn't that popular with the others in the office. The work itself was boring and I ahted it, but dealing with her made it worse.

After about six months, I found another job. It was more money and I got back into an industry I had worked in before. During my exit interview, the HR person (who i had never met) asked several times why I left. (It was a scripted exit interview, just asked same questions in different words). I kept saying it was more money, etc.

I had a feeling she wanted me to say more. I wanted to unload and say I was also leaving because I couldn't stand a certain co-worker. But I felt it was better to be the bigger person. Also, you never know when being an ass about something will come back to bite you. Maybe HR person is big buddies with my enemy. Maybe some future prospective employee may call them some day and she'll say something bad if she remembers I griped about the company.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:52 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
No. No good can come from it.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:01 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times
i let it rip in the only exit interview I had. There were so many dysfunctional processes in place, and not to mention getting a new manager, or assistant manager every 3-6 months didn't help either. In 3 years I had over 8 assistant managers and managers.

I let them know everything that could be done to improve on the way things were going. I hope it lead to some change as everything that I said wasn't me complaining, but it was more of, with this manager we did it this way and it took x amount of time, now with this new manager we have to do it this way and it now takes X+Y amount time.

In the end if you read what I said it would seem like I was trying to tear them apart, but in all actuality, I was just trying to help

Old 11-12-2012, 08:09 AM

41,947 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Yep. It felt good.

I resigned from one job after the third development director in as many years had been fired; the support from upper management for our department was nowhere to be found, and I was sick of it. I also had found a new job that paid me a lot more money.

I tried to be as constructive as possible, offering suggestions instead of criticisms, but there were some aspects of the workplace that were just impossible to view with any positive slant at all.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:17 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Yes.

When I got out of the military, I told the Career Officer that I wanted my freedom back. He was offended to say the least and said "I'm writing down that those are your words, not mine."

I told him to write it down and that I would tell anyone up to and including the Commandant the same answer.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:28 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
No way.

1. Never burn bridges.
2. People need to learn their lessons.
3. They didn't listen to me when I was on the job, what makes me believe they would listen to me when I am leaving?

So I told them that everything was great with this company and I would love to work for this company again.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:33 PM

380 posts, read 1,155,734 times
Yep. I answered HR's questions honestly without dressing it up or adding the spin to make it sound nice. I was professional, but, I didn't have to filter what I said because I was no longer an employee. I don't know what my manager thought because I was already working elsewhere. To my knowledge, nothing came of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search