Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 06:08 AM

763 posts, read 2,604,950 times

Advertisements

I disagree about 10 being do-able. I believe it really depends on where you live and the field you work in. Some weeks, I can find up to ten jobs in my field to apply for, but on other weeks, there are maybe 1 or 2. I'm not going to waste my time or a company's time sending them my resume for a job that isn't available. I did that about a month ago and was flatly told that they do not accept random resumes for positions that are not available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 10:42 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It is easy.

A resume does not need hardly any tailoring if applying the same field, at least none that require any significant effort. Plus, after a while, those variations are saved, so it is just a matter of selecting the correct one to send.

I do not see how someone could not submit ten resumes, how long do you think it takes? An unemployed person has all day, a part timer has plenty of time, and even a full time employee still has hours and hours of free time to submit.
Agreed. An unemployed person should be spending a full day submitting resumes, following up with contacts etc. It has to be 110 percent effort.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Agreed. An unemployed person should be spending a full day submitting resumes, following up with contacts etc. It has to be 110 percent effort.
This is an unrealistic statement. No one can spend an entire eight-hour day sending out resumes online. Albeit, one CAN expend a large percentage of the day searching for jobs online to apply for, but actually finding any to send resumes to and/or applying for is a different story. In other words, you can search and search, but never find anything on any given day.

I start my day checking my email for new postings from the half-dozen or so job boards that send me notices. If there is anything new that I know I haven't applied for, I'll look at the job and if I'm qualified for it, I'll submit my resume or fill out the online application. After that, I check the dozen or so sites that I have bookmarked to see if there are any new postings. If so, I do the same as above. It's DEFINITELY NOT a sure-fire guarantee that there will be 3 or 4 jobs each and every day that I can apply for, and I will not send my resume for a job that I am NOT qualified for.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:17 AM

102 posts, read 311,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
This is an unrealistic statement. No one can spend an entire eight-hour day sending out resumes online. Albeit, one CAN expend a large percentage of the day searching for jobs online to apply for, but actually finding any to send resumes to and/or applying for is a different story. In other words, you can search and search, but never find anything on any given day.

I start my day checking my email for new postings from the half-dozen or so job boards that send me notices. If there is anything new that I know I haven't applied for, I'll look at the job and if I'm qualified for it, I'll submit my resume or fill out the online application. After that, I check the dozen or so sites that I have bookmarked to see if there are any new postings. If so, I do the same as above. It's DEFINITELY NOT a sure-fire guarantee that there will be 3 or 4 jobs each and every day that I can apply for, and I will not send my resume for a job that I am NOT qualified for.
Agreed! Sometimes the (multiple) job boards that I search seem to be at a stalemate. For 3 or 4 days at a time, not much new material gets posted.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:10 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
I see the problem now...

Old 11-16-2012, 12:14 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
Apply for everything. I got a job that required 3 years of experience in proposal writing and I only had 1 year of experience in copy writing and editing. I interviewed for positions asking for 5-7 years experience, so you never know.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Many jobs require generic skills, so people in search of anything will submit their resumes to them. I have seen some very basic skill requirements out there, like a zone manager at a retail store, admin assistant at my own company, and even many sales positions. Anyone with work experience and/or a degree meet the basic requirements of these jobs.
That's not true. If someone has worked at the same type of job for many years, their experience in other areas, i.e., sales, zone manager, is non-existent and even a degree won't make up for their lack of experience in these areas. It would be foolish of me (or anyone in my position) to apply for a job that I have absolutely NO experience in doing.
Quote:
I see the problem now...
....and that would be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Apply for everything. I got a job that required 3 years of experience in proposal writing and I only had 1 year of experience in copy writing and editing. I interviewed for positions asking for 5-7 years experience, so you never know.
This could be because you HAVE experience in writing and other candidates did not. As for the "apply for everything" rule....no, I'll not do that. (See comment above)

Old 11-16-2012, 12:27 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
Quote:
That's not true. If someone has worked at the same type of job for many years, their experience in other areas, i.e., sales, zone manager, is non-existent and even a degree won't make up for their lack of experience in these areas. It would be foolish of me (or anyone in my position) to apply for a job that I have absolutely NO experience in doing.

....and that would be?

This could be because you HAVE experience in writing and other candidates did not. As for the "apply for everything" rule....no, I'll not do that. (See comment above)
A lot of companies will work to teach you, if they offer programs and you are a good fit in other areas.

If not, you can take a short (3 week) certification class in a specific area you are interested in and that will up your chances.

I think you should apply for anything in the related field as long as it doesn't require an advanced degree you dont have or experience of 7/10+ years and you have 0-1.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:32 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
I disagree about 10 being do-able. I believe it really depends on where you live and the field you work in. Some weeks, I can find up to ten jobs in my field to apply for, but on other weeks, there are maybe 1 or 2. I'm not going to waste my time or a company's time sending them my resume for a job that isn't available. I did that about a month ago and was flatly told that they do not accept random resumes for positions that are not available.

Yup that's true. Some days it maybe 6 and other days it maybe 2. Then there are times you can go a entire week and see ZERO

Old 11-16-2012, 12:41 PM

398 posts, read 698,552 times
When I was unemployed, I just assumed that I was qualified for every entry-level admin job I applied to. Why not? They all require the same "communication skills", etc. In certain cases I would apply to a job in a very particular industry, and for that reason I had a "publishing resume" and a "health-care resume" on-hand to shoot right off. Why should I spend time painstakingly re-creating a resume for each similar application, when the employers are probably all looking for that Key Word or Phrase that makes or breaks the application? Either I have it or I don't. If I don't, well then I didn't waste my entire weekend on it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search