Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 06:01 PM

810 posts, read 1,762,782 times

Advertisements

I am running out of ideas with searching for a job. I am registered with a temp agency they admit that it is a slow time and they encourage registering with other temp agencies and looking on your own (which I do daily). I am not getting many replies from jobs posted online (indeed, cl, cb). I am tempted to print many copies of my résumé and go from business to businesses and asking to speak with a hiring manager if they are hiring or maybe just calling them and asking.
Has anyone tried this and if they have was it effective? I also realize that with the holidays this may not be the greatest time but with unemployment ending the end of the year I need to start thinking outside the box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 06:02 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
Honestly no, but I would suggest visiting business websites, and then checking to see if they are hiring, that's how I found my last job. Just started looking up companies and seeing if they were hiring, and then BAM one came up.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:07 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Many jobs are not ever posted. Just look up info about the company, or depending on your field it should be common knowledge, and send your resume with cover letter to the appropriate contact. Some companies accept unsolicited apps, others do not.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:11 PM

Those are both great ideas at least 99% of companies have a website.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:20 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Don't waste your time cold calling.

If anything, that annoys most companies and can blacklist you.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:30 AM

763 posts, read 2,604,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Don't waste your time cold calling.

If anything, that annoys most companies and can blacklist you.
I agree. Check the websites. Network, network, network.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
I agree. Check the websites. Network, network, network.
That's exactly what I'm afraid of. I need to look further into things like LinkedIn and try to start networking a bit more proactive.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:41 PM

763 posts, read 2,604,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
That's exactly what I'm afraid of. I need to look further into things like LinkedIn and try to start networking a bit more proactive.
I used to believe it's what you know, not who you know. I don't feel that's true anymore. It's all about connections these days.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:09 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
I am running out of ideas with searching for a job. I am registered with a temp agency they admit that it is a slow time and they encourage registering with other temp agencies and looking on your own (which I do daily). I am not getting many replies from jobs posted online (indeed, cl, cb). I am tempted to print many copies of my résumé and go from business to businesses and asking to speak with a hiring manager if they are hiring or maybe just calling them and asking.
Has anyone tried this and if they have was it effective? I also realize that with the holidays this may not be the greatest time but with unemployment ending the end of the year I need to start thinking outside the box.

Cold Emailing is better but when you do it don't attach your resume just wait until they ask for it. Send a email asking something about the company that is connected to what you want to do if hired.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:14 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
I used to believe it's what you know, not who you know. I don't feel that's true anymore. It's all about connections these days.

I found out it's who your friends and family know is how you get a job-lol Whatever company you want to work for you need a link to someone who already works there. Seems like people are more interested in reading your resume if it's given to them from someone who already works there.

If you sent it to them directly if they have no openings they will just ignore it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search