Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 03:13 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
With the holidays coming up, it seems like a good idea to apply for retail. I was going to apply to Nordstroms, Saks Fifth Ave., Barneys and the other high end retail stores. I used Hoovers and Dun&Bradstreet to compile a list of the high enders.You know, the ones where they want to hire people who look presentable and speak English since the customer base, is well clearly the 1%? But since it's commission only, no, I don't think I will. Their turnover is probably phenomenal. And what's the commission percentage anyway? How does that work? I don't think it's worth it.

I say, job search "cold style", as mentioned above in my previous response. Use online directories to locate names, emails, fax numbers: Hoovers, DunBradstreet, MartindaleHubbell, etc. Go to the business section of the library and pull some paper bound directories. Old School Style. Yep. Before the Recession style. There's a plethora of corporate public info online and on paper. Get to them before they advertise online or on the website, with the crazy Taleos. I'm a former NYC litigation paralegal and NY state realtor; I can tell you about research and locating companies and then some. ~!!~ ~Hello!!

The cold style is not a good one since most people will only want to talk to you if you know someone they know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 05:45 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It's better to apply to jobs that only require you to email your cover letter and resume directly to someone instead of messing around with online applications.
I agree most stores aren't like that though that are looking for holiday help. It's more work applying for for a part time holiday retail job than a full time corporate accounting job. Wtf?

Old 11-24-2012, 05:46 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I agree most stores aren't like that though that are looking for holiday help. It's more work applying for for a part time holiday retail job than a full time corporate accounting job. Wtf?

Which never made any sense

Old 11-24-2012, 05:54 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
The cold style is not a good one since most people will only want to talk to you if you know someone they know.
BS. That's your opinion. I've gotten hired that way before and will continue trying to get hired that way. I have gotten hired for 3 permanent jobs that way. You waste less time this way than applying to 100 online applications/Taleos. You stand a better chance of getting a human to view your resume. I've never known anybody at any company before applying. If I knew someone at a company I would never need to apply. I would get hired without any formal procedures like applications, resumes or tests. That only happened once to me where I got hired by "knowing someone." You do it your way, I'll do it mine. Everyone else can decide what they want to do. I don't collect commissions from giving advice so it makes no difference to me.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:01 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
BS. That's your opinion. I've gotten hired that way before and will continue trying to get hired that way. I have gotten hired for 3 permanent jobs that way. You waste less time this way than applying to 100 online applications/Taleos. You stand a better chance of getting a human to view your resume. I've never known anybody at any company before applying. If I knew someone at a company I would never need to apply. I would get hired without any formal procedures like applications, resumes or tests. That only happened once to me where I got hired by "knowing someone." You do it your way, I'll do it mine. Everyone else can decide what they want to do. I don't collect commissions from giving advice so it makes no difference to me.

I agree about the Taleos which is a waste of time. It's just that when I did cold style the person wasn't interested in chatting because I wasn't referred by anyone

Old 11-24-2012, 09:13 PM

18 posts, read 173,211 times
I submitted my resume to about 15 companies that I found on INDEED. Out of that I had 4 companies call me for a first interview, which resulted in 3 companies asking me for a 2nd interview, which turned into one company offering me a job. I start December 10

I highly recommend Indeed. But I think the key is to write a cover letter that succinctly shows that you have the qualifications to do the job. And, tailor your resume to match their requirements--even using some of the same language that they use in the job description.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:03 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
" It's just a wall to keep people out." YEP, there are so many people applying for jobs, these online databases and the new interview process are to find ways and reasons to NOT HIRE YOU. Most of the people applying are decent. I know by the time you get to a face to face interview this is the case.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:46 AM

You have 2 types of people on these unemployment forums: the complainers who just want to complain and feel justified, and those who bring up something negative in order to find a solution. Discussing a problem forces one to look for a solution. Yes, ATS's suck big time. I believe they were invented to screen people out.So why would I engage in an activity that is 90% likely to screen me out? Repeating something successively and not getting the desired result is dumb. Are you going to keep slamming yourself against this wall and getting without any results? Or are you going to look for alternative ways to actually getting that result!! ~!!~

I actually judge a company by whether they have "Taleos" on their website or not. Do I want to work for such a needlessly regimented company that relies on text reading robots? They're going to lose a lot of fantastic applicants and just end up with mediocre "gamers" who in reality will be nothing like their "gamed" applications. They probably won't last, and are just job hopping all over the map.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:18 AM

469 posts, read 912,960 times
LinkedIn & Indeed scored a few phone interviews. I sent off my resume to the top 3 people in over 25 companies. I got a call or email from everyone of them. The CEO, COO or CFO may not call but they can send your resume direct to the hiring authority. Ive even had a few that passed on my resume to another company. My current gig was made thru connections but they resulted from this method.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave82 View Post
LinkedIn & Indeed scored a few phone interviews. I sent off my resume to the top 3 people in over 25 companies. I got a call or email from everyone of them. The CEO, COO or CFO may not call but they can send your resume direct to the hiring authority. Ive even had a few that passed on my resume to another company. My current gig was made thru connections but they resulted from this method.
Of course. So obviously there IS life outside of applicant tracking systems. Some make the ats sound like it's the Absolute Godhead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search