Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 01:15 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
That's not really uncommon. I don't understand why it is such a big deal. Why can't you just put 3 friends down? During a phone interview I had to describe how to make a pbj sandwich now that was odd but I answered the stupid question.
Why would you simply end a interview if you don't like a question. People are going to ask stupid questions. That's life you just move on its not a huge deal. Is it funny yes, is if something to be angry about nope.

I didn't say anything about being angry, I just said if I feel the questions are inappropriate I would politely end the interview because I would be turned off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 01:17 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I don't want advice from you
I haven't made an attempt to give you any advice. I've commented on the erroneous statement which is the subject of this thread, and on the fact that this is a repeat question which you originally asked in a new thread in June this year. The question was both asked and answered in that thread (which I've provided a link to) so this thread/question is redundant.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:24 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Quote:
I didn't say anything about being angry, I just said if I feel the questions are inappropriate I would politely end the interview because I would be turned off.
Which is pretty much what you said five months ago on the same subject, viz, "This makes absolutely no sense at all and I never expected to be asked something this stupid... I'm done. " You were "done" then and you're now "done" again. So I guess you're double done by repetition.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:47 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,639,707 times
1) Drug dealer

2) Bartender

3) Bookie

That's 3!

Old 11-24-2012, 05:56 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,174 times
Quote:
are not related to you
not former employers
not former supervisors

Anyone else think this is kind of strange? Why wouldn't a company want to get references from a former supervisor?
yeah i know, wouldn't they want to know the opinion of the prospective employee's former boss? employers can be hypocritical

Old 11-24-2012, 09:12 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
yeah i know, wouldn't they want to know the opinion of the prospective employee's former boss? employers can be hypocritical
Probably because former bosses are often limited as to what they can say. They already have your former bosses name and number from the part of the app where you list your previous jobs. Now they want people they can get some answers from. There are reasons people. If you want a job answer the questions!

Old 11-25-2012, 01:39 AM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Just out of curiosity to see if the old brain was still working properly where memory is concerned, a search took all of two minutes. My memory was correct - you started this almost identical thread just five months ago:

//www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...stion-job.html
LOL. I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
That's not really uncommon. I don't understand why it is such a big deal. Why can't you just put 3 friends down? During a phone interview I had to describe how to make a pbj sandwich now that was odd but I answered the stupid question.
Why would you simply end a interview if you don't like a question. People are going to ask stupid questions. That's life you just move on its not a huge deal. Is it funny yes, is if something to be angry about nope.
Is this your first TVandSportsGuy thread? He has a laundry list of "Dos and Don'ts" for prospective employers. Heck, he has a laundry list of "Dos and Don'ts" for just about everything in his life.

Either this is one very high strung individual or he's playing us all...I've said the latter, before and I'm still thinking we are all being played. Surely no one in reality would actually live like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
It was answered but again, they already have your former boss' info and will call them when they run a background check. Thing is, all that HR or the boss will say is, "Yes, they worked here". While they can say more than that, most of them don't. That doesn't tell the employer squat about you which is WHY they ask for "personal" references, as well.

The job I just got asked for three personal references. I didn't spend a single moment being offended, I gave them three personal references. I contacted the references to let them know, "Hey, you might be getting a call". Because it's government work, they sure did get a call...one got the call at 6 am! (Time zone difference...guess the government didn't care about that...thankfully I've known this person for a long time!)

Are you ever going to just do what you have to do to get a job or are you going to continue to come to this forum and complain about what you have to do to get a job? Of course some of the things they ask are ridiculous...do you want the fricken job or not?!

Old 11-25-2012, 01:47 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,967,450 times
I just use my buddies. I have a few buddies with great diverse careers; Cop, Social Media Marketing (worked for Disney adn WB), and a College Director. If they want co-workers, I have a good friend for a prior job for about 3 years. I worked one day for my good friends restaurant doing a catering job. It was just one day but I did get a W-2 so its not a lie.

If they really need to call all your references after your interview and resume, **** them.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:01 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,026 times
No use trying to find rationality in the irrational.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:53 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,022,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2bHere! View Post
That requirement is a "rule-out" technique that hiring people use to thin-out applications in cases where they are innundated with apps for positions. Education (IE. degree requirements) is another as is explaining time between jobs or why you are employed and are looking for another job.

FWIW.
Thanks Glad2bHere.

Most people do have at least 3 regular friends they can call on, so this shouldn't be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search