Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2012, 02:37 PM

877 posts, read 2,012,282 times

Advertisements

I'm currently a junior in college and for the past few weeks, I've been applying for internships for the winter and spring. I had 3 interviews last week, one phone interview tomorrow and another that's constantly rescheduling (which is driving me crazy, but it's only for the winter). This is the most pivotal time of my college career.

I just received one offer back and I can do what I truly love - writing & editing. I'm also waiting to hear back from these 2 major publications but they're beauty internships that don't require minimal writing but I mean, they're big names! Anyway, I accepted this writing internship and I really like the atmosphere because everyone is pretty much right next to each other and if I were to ask for help, it'd be at the tip of my fingers. I told them I'd be able to start immediately right when this semester ends, so I think that was a huge "go" on why I was heavily considered. (3 days a week for the Spring semester, not sure about Winter, assuming they'd want me to be there more often)

The internship interviews I'm currently setting up for this week are for the Winter only and I'm trying see if I can do them for 2 days if I can do 3 at the other internship. However, this is not my main concern.

My biggest concern is the 2 big publications I've just had interviews with last week. I have no idea if I will receive an answer back but the other one seemed very impressed with my resume and enthusiasm and we clicked very well but I'm really nervous should she get back to me, I will have to decline her offer, which might affect a potential future internship if I apply again. The job tasks seem pretty fun but of course, I couldn't wait to take up on anything, seeing I'm desperate to build my resume up.

How can I decline the offer (assuming they'd get back to me) without letting it affect a future internship for the same position?

Last edited by FOReverxpeace; 12-05-2012 at 02:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 02:46 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
It happens all of the time. Tell them that you really enjoyed the company but you have already accepted another offer. Let them know that you look forward to being in touch with them once you graduate. That will give them the impression that you may be looking for a full time position in the future, thus not burning a potential bridge.

Your young, and I was in your shoes recently. Believe me, you aren't that special. They wont be THAT upset that you went elsewhere.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:59 PM

877 posts, read 2,012,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
It happens all of the time. Tell them that you really enjoyed the company but you have already accepted another offer. Let them know that you look forward to being in touch with them once you graduate. That will give them the impression that you may be looking for a full time position in the future, thus not burning a potential bridge.

Your young, and I was in your shoes recently. Believe me, you aren't that special. They wont be THAT upset that you went elsewhere.

Well, the problem for me right now isn't about what I'll be doing after I graduate (although everything I'm doing is for preparation)..it's about what I can make the most out of in my field while I can so I don't have to be unemployed for many months after I graduate.

The other publication was something I really enjoyed but if I have to decline her, I don't want her to remember me as someone who rejected her offer and apply again for that internship..only to decline her again because if it's available for the summer, I'd definitely love to work for that publication! I just don't want impeding effect where they think I blew my chances.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:56 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Let her know that you took another offer because you weren't sure whether you would hear back from her and you didn't want to be stuck with nothing.

Let her know you were very excited about the opportunity with XYZ (her company). Ask if you can keep in touch with her if something falls through with your current opportunity.

I did this for a job offer that I turned down and they were receptive about not "shutting the door completely" for future opportunities. They said sometimes timing doesn't work out and they are have people that work for them now that turned down offers the first time. It happens.

Just tell them what a great fit that you think you would be with their company. Maybe you can somehow get a 1 day a week internship and work both internships at the same time. be creative. Keep all doors open.

Realize that some companies will hire former interns as full time employees after they graduate. Big companies look nice on your resume. Keep that in mind. And you can move up the ladder easier (sometimes) in big companies, once you are a full time employee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search