U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-06-2012, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
274 posts, read 794,000 times
Reputation: 400

Advertisements

I need some advice on acceptance/rejection of job offers. Here are the details:

I'm in an executive position in a small nonprofit. Even though the title is great, the pay is just not working out. When I took the position 2-3 years ago, I was a career-changer looking for experience. I've gotten some great experience but need to move forward to a larger organization with a more competitive salary. There are two organizations that seem serious about hiring me but the timing hasn't been ideal.

Company A is exactly the sort of company that I'd like to be involved in long-term. It's large and has fantastic name recognition, and I have a lot of knowledge and experience about what they do. They have a great team of people who I would love to work with. The only downside is that while the organization provides full benefits and room for advancement, the current position is only 3/4 time. Company A made me an offer yesterday and I told them that I would need a few days to evaluate my other offers financially before making a final decision. I should say that I would absolutely love to work with this organization.

Company B is also a large, reputable organization. While I am familiar with what they do, I am less experienced in their field. They also have a competitive benefits package, and they are one of the most financially stable organizations in the industry. The position that I applied for is exactly the same as the open position at Company A. It's not particularly high-salary, but it is full-time, so the salary is slightly higher. The salary differential between Company A (3/4 time) and Company B (full time) is only about $5,000. I told the interviewer at Company B that I received an offer from Company A and that I was wondering if we could expedite the application process so that I could give a timely answer to Company A. They agreed, and have moved my second interview earlier (to Monday). They've also said that they'd like me to interview with the CEO on that date.

I don't want to leave Company A on the hook forever, but I feel uncomfortable accepting that position without hearing a final answer from Company B. Will I chance losing both positions if I wait too long to give Company A an answer? Any advice would be appreciated. I should also say that in my mind, the whole situation is a win-win, because both jobs are a big step up from where I am now! TIA
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-06-2012, 09:32 AM
 
845 posts, read 1,841,396 times
Reputation: 1070
If you would love to work at company A, you would love to stay there for a long time, there is room for advancement and the pay difference is only $5k, take it! I'm at a large company that paid really well upon hiring but does nothing to develop or promote employees. Most people stay at the same level for years! If you're still concerned about the 3/4 time and the $5k difference, go back to company A and discuss it with them. See if they can come close to matching. However, I'm not sure how you know what company B would pay since they haven't given you an offer yet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2012, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
274 posts, read 794,000 times
Reputation: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
However, I'm not sure how you know what company B would pay since they haven't given you an offer yet.
They asked me for my salary requirements during the first interview (after they discussed their benefits package) and I told them what they were. They told me that was higher than they could do, since the position was budgeted at $X.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2012, 09:50 AM
 
4,006 posts, read 5,166,842 times
Reputation: 5312
It never hurts to show them the other offer and ask if they can match it. They may have budgeted for "X", but if they really want you, they may be able to go back and get some additional funding. You can position it as you really wanting to work for Company A, but its a difficult decision with the other company offering a higher salary. I wouldn't demand they match it, but maybe tell them that if they can, you can sign on the dotted line today.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2012, 02:00 PM
 
9,077 posts, read 11,857,848 times
Reputation: 18281
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
It never hurts to show them the other offer and ask if they can match it. They may have budgeted for "X", but if they really want you, they may be able to go back and get some additional funding. You can position it as you really wanting to work for Company A, but its a difficult decision with the other company offering a higher salary. I wouldn't demand they match it, but maybe tell them that if they can, you can sign on the dotted line today.
they haven't even offered her the job, yet! She shouldn't be shoving other offer letters in their face.

to the OP:

Seriously, go with company A. This situation is not a win-win if you **** off Company A and they rescind the job offer.

"I have a job offer from a company I'd love to work for in a position I'm excited about."

Repeat the above 5 times.

Then call Company A and say, "YES!!"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2012, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Corona the I.E.
10,139 posts, read 15,968,887 times
Reputation: 9078
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
they haven't even offered her the job, yet! She shouldn't be shoving other offer letters in their face.

to the OP:

Seriously, go with company A. This situation is not a win-win if you **** off Company A and they rescind the job offer.

"I have a job offer from a company I'd love to work for in a position I'm excited about."

Repeat the above 5 times.

Then call Company A and say, "YES!!"
I doubt this following scenario would happen, but I have seen it happen twice personally with acquaintances in outside sales. What if you go to the company you really want to work for show them the offer letter they don't take kindly and call company A and tell them about your antics. Now you just pissed off company A and no have nada.

OP-you are thinking too far ahead cross that bridge when you have offer letter from two companies.

Now I see you are in FL. FL is one of the worst for UE and you want to play games? Take company A and be happy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2012, 03:04 PM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 43,338,398 times
Reputation: 16210
Does 5K really offset the other items you listed? Is there any chance that Job A becomes full time?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2012, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
274 posts, read 794,000 times
Reputation: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Does 5K really offset the other items you listed? Is there any chance that Job A becomes full time?
No, and yes. They mentioned in the interview that their goal is to convert the position to full time within a year or so (I'm obviously hoping this works out).

I took the job at Company A and negotiated a slightly higher salary from them. My gut was telling me from the beginning to just accept their offer, but it's always helpful to have people tell me that's the right choice!! It's easy to over-think things when you're anxious about making a big decision. As far as unemployment goes, I was never worried about that since I was already employed... not getting either job would have been pretty crappy, but it wouldn't have been the end of the world, either. The job market in most of FL isn't fabulous, but my industry is pretty specialized so there's not a huge amount of competition. Thanks for the suggestions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2012, 08:20 PM
 
103 posts, read 296,119 times
Reputation: 97
Honestly..... Think about it, I just accepted/started working a new jobs at a luxury resort that offers me great pay, guaranteed raises twice a year, 401k, and medical/dental. But honestly I don't really like it I think it's one of those things where you think the grass I greener on the other side buy in all actuality it's not. But whatever you do take your time and decide and dont jump the gun like I did.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2012, 03:24 AM
 
9,077 posts, read 11,857,848 times
Reputation: 18281
Quote:
Originally Posted by John8818 View Post
Honestly..... Think about it, I just accepted/started working a new jobs at a luxury resort that offers me great pay, guaranteed raises twice a year, 401k, and medical/dental. But honestly I don't really like it I think it's one of those things where you think the grass I greener on the other side buy in all actuality it's not. But whatever you do take your time and decide and dont jump the gun like I did.
sometimes the grass is greener.....

When changing jobs, I'm not so sure people really reflect on what it is that is making them want to leave the current position. You need to understand what you are missing now to see if the new job will fill those voids.

Hate your current boss? Well, you better make sure to "interview" your new boss to make sure you understand his personality and management style.

Hate your co-workers? Ask to meet a few of the people you'd be working with. Ask them questions. If you aren't permitted to; that's a red flag.

Job is boring? Make sure you ask specifics about roles and responsibilities? Pay careful attention to what you'll actually be doing.

If you are confident you are filling your void, you will most likely find greener grass. If you are just getting a few more bucks, probably not.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top