Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 07:45 PM

630 posts, read 1,048,852 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 11:38 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,012,378 times
At least they sent you a letter, I applied for a job in October and interviewed, and in November (like 3 weeks later) asked if there was any word they said no not yet. So at this point I'm not sure if that's a "no" or a "we are still working on it."

Old 12-09-2012, 12:05 AM

810 posts, read 1,763,059 times
I'm sorry. At least they liked you that's a positive sign.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:33 AM

519 posts, read 1,049,540 times
Wow fancy complaining about getting that letter.

Perhaps you're lucky you weren't chosen, you seem like a real stick in the mud.

I liked the tone of the letter, I'm, personally, sick to death of impersonal form letters and frankly, this is the way even giant corporations are being run now.

Places like Google, Facebook etc have fun as their focus and are leaving the stuffed shirts at the door.

Geez, it's the new way people. Live a little and have fun with it.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:11 AM

2 posts, read 2,941 times
Oh, ya, it is SO COOL that our economy has deteriorated to the point that legions of highly qualified people are willing to work for free just to get their foot in the door.

Sad is more like it.

I like the earlier poster's suggestion: Post a person for THAT person's job, have the submissions go to you, and then send him/her an envelope of all the deperate people willing to work work his/her job for FREE. Maybe that will jar her to her senses.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:19 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
I think it is highly personalized. Meant to encourage you that while there are so many applicants, you were a stand out. The fact they are going to let you know before posting their next opening is a plus. I also think that people interviewing folks for non-paid positions, don't equate it to the "normal" I need a pay check job...That's why they can come across as more light hearted. To think otherwise, you must know more than you shared in your OP.
Why are you so disheartened by a turn down letter for a non-paid position??

Last edited by JanND; 12-09-2012 at 05:23 AM.. Reason: added text

Old 12-09-2012, 07:16 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
(snip)
Why are you so disheartened by a turn down letter for a non-paid position??
Nobody likes rejection. OP was offering to work for free and was turned down. That smarts.

OP, consider it their loss and move on. They sound like idiots anyway.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:29 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times
I once got a rejection email from a nonprofit with so many misspellings and the wrong tone that I forwarded it to the director and the entire board.

Stuffed shirt I may be, but sometimes people need a little kick in the teeth in return.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:26 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
I don't see anything wrong with it. They must have thought you would be very discouraged to be turned down for a VOLUNTEER gig. So they chose to lessen your discouragement by telling you some facts you wouldn't have known otherwise. Its a good thing.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:14 AM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
...Perhaps you're lucky you weren't chosen, you seem like a real stick in the mud.

I'm, personally, sick to death of...
Insulting the OP is not acceptable. If you don't have something nice to say or something positive to add to the discussion, why engage the thread at all? Raise the bar.

Human resources and administration are no place to be anything but objective and professional. I don't care what generation you're from nor whether you're talking about a nonprofit or for-profit center.

Too much information and subjective emotions are never welcome in a consolation letter such as that. It all goes back to the Golden Rule of how would you like to be treated if the tables were turned? "Good for us and too bad so sad for you" is never an acceptable attitude.

Just because we live in a Facebook laid back culture don't make it right.

Last night I saw some 16ish year old girl driving the Student Driver vehicle into the parking space next to mine. Even though I thought she might clip my truck bumper, she was driving about one foot per hour. She finally got parked. Then what? That's right. She picked up her cell phone and started yaking away to somebody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search